• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpie Pen Strikes Again! (1 Viewer)

Wow - outstanding piece! If only my finished pieces begin to even be on the same pitch as this preliminary one, I will be a happy artist! I can sense the movement and interaction of the birds here...wonderful.

Should be interesting seeing the painting that comes from this Tim. My guess is that it will be a strong one. I can already guess that it will be called 'Bemused.'

Groups of birds give such potential for injecting movement into a painting and it's something you've been exploiting to maximum lately. This is another great example of that and I wouldn't mind betting that the final work that springs from it will be a total winner.

Mike

I don't know if a rework is needed of this - it's a very strong piece with an ornithologically interesting aspect of similar species together - having said that, having two pieces to admire is always good.

A pic that is truly alive! Loads of character and interaction here, and all perfectly rendered. Again we're seeing influences and similarities as diverse as messrs Ennion, Bennet, Mccallum and Woodhead, all with a unique slant. Marvellous.

Russ

hers us mere mortals struggling with all the equipment we can afford ... and you come along with a darn Sharpie, and blow us all out of the water... I could swear if I werent a gentleman... and a huge fan...

The Crabbers

Another veture into the sketchbook revealed a few scribbles that I thought worth interpreting. Again - I think this would benefit from a second version, although I think in the same media; just a chop and change in a few bits of the comp.

Attachments

• the crabbers small.JPG
    the crabbers small.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 126
Exquisite, yet again! Great little touches here, like the splayed feet in one of the birds, and the posture of the birds which are eating. The color scheme used for the water works exceptionally well. I'm leaving now to go to the bookstore and pick up the newest compilation of complimentary adjectives...I've run out of suitable ones in my vocabulary!

fabulous - it amazes me how you manage to get these eiders doing things - not a species I've had much opportunity to sketch (mega in the West Midlands, scarce in Wales and one breeding pair in Franche-Comté), I never get beyond trying to get the head right - you've got them 'doing' things!

Great, great, great once again. I love how the ink line brings another dimension to an already super piece. It may sound crude but, to me, there's an almost 'comic book' style to this, which is no bad thing.

Russ

Indeed, comic books are a highly respected art in France and rightly so - the cartoonist's line is economic and powerful.

Hi Tim,

sweet ducks and a good idea. Am I right that you drew the ducks first and then you coloured it? So, it's a watercolour sketch book?

Always asking questions,
Ulrike O;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back