• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

woo hoo! (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
Got a drawing into a publication!
No money, of course, but it's a start and I'm happy!
40117hawfinch2.jpg

I'm thinking of doing some more sketches and putting them for sale on my website, but not sure if there's that much interest. I'm also going to experiment with using linen to paint on instead of canvas so I can do smaller paintings (6x4") without the detail becoming lost in the weave. Bought a tub of primer - be interesting to see what it's like.
Also smaller means I'll get them done faster...

Here's my latest project...
Some of you may recognise the IBWO from his latest outing with 'Steve Irwin' on one of the IBWO threads...
It's a toy for my daughter. Eventually, I'll have loads of different woodpeckers for her to play with...

Attachments

• woodpeckers.JPG
    woodpeckers.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 187
It's been quiet for a while, so I thought I'd post this one...

Tree pipit in song flight.

Attachments

• treepipit1a.jpg
    treepipit1a.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 175
Congratulations indeed. I've had a few of my pen and inks published in a quarterly journal. Kind of fun to see your own work in a publication of some kind. You have a keen sense of bird jizz and light and shadow in your drawings. Very important.

Thanks very much!

I'm going to get round to doing some painting in a few weeks. I made a stetched frame canvas out of some fine cotton so the surface is a lot less bumpy and I can do smaller work without losing the details in the weave, but have to see how that goes when I get round to it...

It makes a change to see something other than my chemistry in print. I'd put that on here, but I like you lot...

colonelboris said:
I'm going to get round to doing some painting in a few weeks. I made a stetched frame canvas out of some fine cotton so the surface is a lot less bumpy and I can do smaller work without losing the details in the weave, but have to see how that goes when I get round to it...

I had problems with detail and the texture of canvas as well when I was using acrylics. I'd heard that Bateman uses masonite primed with several layers of gesso (sanded down between coats), and wanted to give it a try. I bought myself a big bottle of gesso, got tired of the painting I'd been working on at the time, and switched to watercolours before ever cracking the seal. It's an idea, though. Anyone else on the forum ever use this method?

jomo said:
I had problems with detail and the texture of canvas as well when I was using acrylics. I'd heard that Bateman uses masonite primed with several layers of gesso (sanded down between coats), and wanted to give it a try. I bought myself a big bottle of gesso, got tired of the painting I'd been working on at the time, and switched to watercolours before ever cracking the seal. It's an idea, though. Anyone else on the forum ever use this method?
Quite a lot of the wildlife artists I know use MDF (Masonite) as a ground. I have used it in the past and it does give a lovely smooth surface to work on.Personally I still prefer illustration board but I have a large amount of gessoed MDF in the garage so I'll no doubt use it again in the future.

Congratulations on the publication BTW Colonel!

Just for comparison,
My work on canvas: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/53613/sort/1/cat/500/page/2

My work on MDF:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/24102/sort/1/size/medium/cat/500/page/2

My work on illustration board:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/82265/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back