• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador - from the high Andes to the Amazon basin (1 Viewer)

For some reason these fuchsia-type flowers really did attract hummingbirds in no proportion to their size. Could it be because they're red?

Fawn-breasted Brilliants havne't featured a lot so far, so here's one bird showing off that even large hummingbirds get drawn to small flowers - and have to do some clever maneouvering to get themselves into position.

Andrea

Attachments

• _DSC2340.jpg
    _DSC2340.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 66
  • _DSC2341.jpg
    _DSC2341.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 76
  • _DSC2345.jpg
    _DSC2345.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 70
  • _DSC2352.jpg
    _DSC2352.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 73
  • _DSC2344.jpg
    _DSC2344.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 70
Buff-tailed Coronots going for the same flower.

Andrea

Attachments

• _DSC2362.jpg
    _DSC2362.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 74
  • _DSC2380.jpg
    _DSC2380.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 68
  • _DSC2389.jpg
    _DSC2389.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 65
  • _DSC2554.jpg
    _DSC2554.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 75
  • _DSC2591.jpg
    _DSC2591.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 75
And a few mixed ones. We swapped over again, so I was back to the banana flower flor the last few pictures of the afternoon.

Andrea

Lesser (Green) Violetear
Brown Inca (the only time one of these joined our photo sessions)
Purple-throated woodstar (showing how tiny these are)
again
Fawn-breasted Brilliants always perched if there was any chance to do so while feeding. (They also had an interesting technique for grabbing the hummingbird feeder.) None of this strength-sapping hovering!

Attachments

• _DSC2359.jpg
    _DSC2359.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 69
  • _DSC2488.jpg
    _DSC2488.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 69
  • _DSC2664.jpg
    _DSC2664.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 76
  • _DSC2705.jpg
    _DSC2705.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 71
  • _DSC2668.jpg
    _DSC2668.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 66
The next morning we did go for an excursion away from the Tandayapa valley, to Milpe. This is a small reserve that's quite a bit lower down on the slopes of the Andes.

Because this is a photography trip the main cncern with deciding when to set out is what the light will do for photography, and it's 7.30 by the time we set off, to arrive about half an hour later. There's a feeding station that draws in some toucans and tanagers, and at first the light is quite gloomy. It doesn't really brighten up until 9.30 or so.

When the plantains are first put out there is allready a group of Pale-mandibled (Collared) Aracari waiting For a place where they are fed regularly, and also protected, they're quite wary,, always on teh look-out, and moving off if they feel that something isn't quite right. We're advised to keep our distance when photographing. The aracaris do have a way of monopolizing the food, and the tanagers and euphonias don't come in until after the food has been replenished, and the aracaris have had their fill. On the other hand there's a handful of them, so there is some interaction as they each try to secure the best spot near the food.

The species we see include Silver-throated Tanager, Golden Tanager, Thick-billed Euphonia, Blue-grey, Palm and Lemon-rumped Tanager, and we just watch birds coming in, taking pictures and making sure we spot also those birds that stay in the background, such as a Rufous Motmot. A female Red-headed Becard makes a colourful subject, and it is joined by the male before too long.

After a while there's a single Choco Toucan, even warier than its cousins. Ad the name suggested this is an endemic to the choco region, and particularly welcome. There's some kind of work going on here and there are occasionally passers-by enganged in that which distube the birds a bit.

The challenge in photography here is a combination of the distance to the subject, the hard shadows, and trying to get natural looking pictures when the birds are here for the banana-type food affixed to spikes on a tree branch, but the site is quite active and the spread of species is pretty good.

After we think we have seen what we will here we decide to go for a little walk along the trails.

Andrea

Pale-mandibled Aracaris (note the harsh shadows)
again
Silver-throated Tanager
Choco Toucan
Rufous Motmot

Attachments

• _DSC2735.jpg
    _DSC2735.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 80
  • _DSC2744.jpg
    _DSC2744.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 84
  • _DSC2771.jpg
    _DSC2771.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 77
  • _DSC3301.jpg
    _DSC3301.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 85
  • _DSC3330.jpg
    _DSC3330.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 81
On our walk we do manage to see (but not photograph) the other species of toucan possible here: Yellow-throated (or Chocolate-manbiled or Black-mandibled, depending on which taxonomy you follow), flying high into a tree. A Squirrel Cuckoo is seen. We also find a Black-cheeked Woodpecker, Buff-fronted Foliagegleaner and Plain Xenopse giving identifiable but underwheldming views.

In the course of the walk we do find new flycatchers in the form of the expected Social and Dusky-capped the new for me Slaty-capped Flycatcher. A Bay Wren is idenfied by voice. and on the reserve we also see the fairly common Ecuadorian and Pale=vented Thrush.

There are new warblers as well on the walk, Olive-crowned Yellow-throat, the first Tropical Parula of the trip, as well as the prevoiusly seen Blcackburnian and Slate-throated Whitestart. An Orange-billed Sparrow plays hide-and-seek with us and holds out remarkably long given that it stays in the same smallish bush all along.

It is getting quite warm but nonetheless we do find new birds, such as Ruddy Quail-Dove and Pallid Dove and a Yellow-throated Bush Tanager as well as a Black-winged Saltator.

There are a few hummingbird feeders near the main building, and we find two new species that prefer to be a bit lower down, Green Thorntail, Crowned Woodnymph

We chedk out the feeding site again briefly before moving off, and find a White-lined Tanager sitting quietly in the background. Other tanagers seen here which I didn't mention in the first post are Bay-headed and Black-capped, Flame-faced and Rufous-throated Tanager as well as Green Honeycreeper.

We drive off to have a very nice lunch in a nearby town. There's a fruit feeder just outside the restaurant, and I'm keen to take more pictures since there's a very cooperative Crimson-Rumped Toucan. Unfortunately my fifteen minutes before we move off coincides with two girls wanting to hand-feed it, and I am not able to make the most of the opportunity. Also found here were Lemon-rumped and Blue-greyTanager.

On the drive we see some Cattle Egrets which are new for the list, as well as Shiny Cowbirds.

Andrea

No photos were taken during the walk, so what we have here is still from the feeding site, with the last two being from the lunch spot.

Flame-faced Tanager
Red-headed Barbet
Rufous-throated Tanager
Lemon-rumped Tanager (female)
Crimson-rumped Toucan

Attachments

• _DSC3383.jpg
    _DSC3383.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 85
  • _DSC3169.jpg
    _DSC3169.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 76
  • _DSC3214.jpg
    _DSC3214.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 76
  • _DSC3422.jpg
    _DSC3422.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 76
  • _DSC3423.jpg
    _DSC3423.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 86
On the drive back it's spitting with rain a bit, making me dread that this will intensify for the afternoon, but fortunately the weather at the lodge remains dry.

The afternoon is once more spent with hummingbird photography. Pablo has founds ome new flowers to try. Two new guests arrive and very hospitably Pablo invites them to have a go with the flash set-up - I don't think they entirely appreciate this gesture. Later on it turns out that they thought they had booked a stay of two nights with full activities included, rather than just room and board. I can't help but overhear a heated conversation where one of them insists that in lodges everywhere this is always included and need not be booked separately. They clearly feel cheated. Poor Pablo has to listen to a lengthy tirade.

There will be another excursion tomorrow, so hopefully we won't have too much overlap with these very disgruntled guests, who clearly feel that Pablo should organize their entertainment, and do so for free.

For some reason photgraphy is quite slow today, with rather fewer hummingbirds coming in to check out or feeders and flowers. Also for the first time insect repellent is required as the afternoon progresses. Nonetheless, there are some nice results, although I took markedly fewer pictures that afternoon than on the others.

Andrea

Buff-tailed Coronet looking for a suitable perch
Fawn-breasted Brilliant illustrating how ti should be done (after trying the same thing first)
Booted Racket-tail with dynamic approach
and again
Empress Brilliant

Attachments

• _DSC3558.jpg
    _DSC3558.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC3683.jpg
    _DSC3683.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC3713.jpg
    _DSC3713.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC3574.jpg
    _DSC3574.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 42
  • _DSC3785.jpg
    _DSC3785.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 35
Some superb Hummingbird shots! I would love the opportunity to spend some time shooting them but I have a feeling that this trip would be way beyond what I would want to pay, especially if the light was poor and the weather equally so. Nice you have done it for me instead!!

Thanks for your kind remarks on my photos, Dave. In terms of costs it comes down to what exactly one is paying for. Certainly this could be replicated without booking a tour by staying at a lodge with hummingbird feeders with a good variety of species, who don't mind you rearranging their feeders, and having the required flash gear (which would be a bit bulky to cart around internationally). In my trip reports I try to give an idea of what people can expect at specific locations, and maybe by picking a particular tour, similar to what you try to do with your blog. That will hopefully allow people to make informed opinions on how to spend their cash.

The next morning another we set off for another excursion to the Mashpi Amagusa Reserve. We set off at 7.00 and arrive around 90 minutes later. Again our stay there was to be a mixture of taking photos at fruit feeders and exploring the trails of this small reserve. Pablo warned us in advance that humidity would be a serious factor here, and indeed when we arrive and venture out of the car all our optical equipment foggs up. It's drizzling. Pablo has seen this many times befre and he reassures us that this was nothing to worry about. He organizes a small heater that gets rid of the excess moisture quite quickly.

Birds that come to the feeder are Lemon-rumped Tanager, Thcik-billed and Orange-crowned Euphonia, the latter of which is new to us, Blue-Grey Tanager, Palm Tanager, and, somewhat surprisingly, Black-cheeked Woodpecker. An Ecuadorian Thrush searches the leaf litter close by. The feeders aren't that active, and the light isn't all that good, so we decide to look what else is about.

Along the road to the reserve we find Ruddy Pigeon and Pallid Dove, as well as Grey-Breasted Martin, Social Flycatcher and Tropical Kingbirds, the last three on wires.

On the feeders there are new species of hummingbirds waiting for us, White-necked Jacobin, Green-breasted Mango and Blue-chested Hummingbird. It's still foggy, although the drizzle has mostly stopped, and the conditions aren't that good for photography, so from now on we concentrate on just seeing what else we can find here.

New birds we see here are Scarlet-backed and Golden-olive Woodpecker, importantly Pacific Partotlet, Pacific Hornero, Streaked Xenops, Streak-headed Woodcreeper, Buff-rumped Warbler, Tricoloured Brushfinch and Dusky-faced Tananager.

We leave in the late morning and have lunch once we're back at Tandayapa Lodge. The afternoon is once again devoted to hummingbird photography but this is our last full day here and the last chance to have another go at this. There will be a couple more posts with hummingbird photographs, and then there's one more excursion with few photos before we're off to the Amazon basin.

Andrea

Lemon-rumped Tanager
Thick-billed and Orange-crowned Euophonia
Ecuadorian Thrush
Black-cheeked Woodpecker
Booted Racket-tail

Attachments

• _DSC3820.jpg
    _DSC3820.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC3855.jpg
    _DSC3855.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 36
  • _DSC3859.jpg
    _DSC3859.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 21
  • _DSC3871.jpg
    _DSC3871.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC3926.jpg
    _DSC3926.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 25
This is another good afternoon, with a lot of activity and a lot of photos I am very happy with!

After dinner Pablo shows us some videos that were filmed locally, such as hummingbirds in super slow motion - very nice!

Andrea

Fawn-breasted Brilliant
Fawn-breasted Brilliant and Buff-tailed Coronet (the former is hanging on to the feeder)
Western (Andean) Emerald
Fawn-breasted Brilliant again
and again

Attachments

• _DSC3934.jpg
    _DSC3934.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC4009.jpg
    _DSC4009.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 29
  • _DSC4037.jpg
    _DSC4037.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 32
  • _DSC4101.jpg
    _DSC4101.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 31
  • _DSC4162.jpg
    _DSC4162.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 19
Pablo found us some new flowers too.

Green-crowned Brilliant
Booted Racket-tail (female)
Purple-throated Woodstar telling off a Fawn-breasted Brilliant
Green-crowned Brillaint (this flower seemed to be quite tricky for a lot of hummingbirds in terms of working out where the nectar might be)
Purple-throated Woodstar (finally a male so you get to see one with an actual purple throat!)

Attachments

• _DSC4178.jpg
    _DSC4178.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC4239.jpg
    _DSC4239.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC4287.jpg
    _DSC4287.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 30
  • _DSC4350.jpg
    _DSC4350.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 31
  • _DSC4357.jpg
    _DSC4357.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 26
And a few more...

Buff-tailed Coronet
Booted Racket-tail (those streamers...)
Buff-tailed Coronet (I like the expression nof intent!)
Weatern (Andean Emerald)
Booted Racket-tail (female)

Attachments

• _DSC4370.jpg
    _DSC4370.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 30
  • _DSC4420.jpg
    _DSC4420.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 35
  • _DSC4446.jpg
    _DSC4446.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 28
  • _DSC4128.jpg
    _DSC4128.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 33
  • _DSC4582.jpg
    _DSC4582.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 31
A few more miscelleanous hummingbird pictures that I seem to have overlooked. The last few hummingbird flash photos. I must say what we were able to do in those session did exceed my wildest expectations. Picking just a few tens of hundreds of technically good pictures hsa been quite hard!

Andrea

Rufous-tailed Hummingbird - was there every day but didn't do much that was noticeable in the pictures and I only just realized I hadn't posted any photos of this species so far.
again
Purple-throated Woodstar - by and large the females seemed to give me better pictures, so here's another male
Booted Racket-tail
Green-crowend Brilliant

Attachments

• _DSC1055.jpg
    _DSC1055.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC1316.jpg
    _DSC1316.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC1758.jpg
    _DSC1758.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 38
  • _DSC1467.jpg
    _DSC1467.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC1152.jpg
    _DSC1152.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 28
The next morning the programme has one last item that I certainly was looking forward to very much. Breakfast is at 5.00 and we leave at 5.15. It's been raining and the path down to the parking lot is quite slippery, and the fact that it is dark isn't helping. A 45 minute drive and we're there - and it's still raining.

Today we are visiting Paz de las Aves, also known as Refugio Angel Paz. This is a spot very well known among bird watchers were one individua (said Angel Paz) has been working hard over years to habituate some of the shyer forest birds, which he now shows to bird watchers.

Our first stop is an Andean Cock-of-the-Rock lek. Surely anybody who has seen a photo of one of the Cocks-of-the-Rocks wants to see one in real life? When we arrive it's only just starting to get light, and with the sky overcast, and the rain still lightly falling, moving ont he slippery trails is a bit of a challenge. When we arrive at the hide it's still pretty gloomy. Four people are already there.

We hear the first bird before we see anything, sounding vaguely demented. Occasionally we catch a glimpse of one of the birds jumping up, or changing posisiton. We're told that there are four males and one female altogether, but to be honest I wouldn't have felt able to give a number. We later hear that some branches fell and their favoured lek is now in a place where one doesn't get to see all that much of the birds. Still there's a sense of excitement that we are allowed to witness this courtship behaviour. I decide that photography is hopeless and just see what I can through the binoculars. While I'm still hoping for better views the birds move off.

Eventually it is light enough to actually see who else is there, and we meet Angel Paz himself. The next avian attraction is already on its way as Angel calls very softly and lays out pieces of banana. Three Dark-backed Wood-Quali appear and pick up the food, walking completely unconcerned right up to Angel's rubber boots. He puts down more bananas for them, calling to them variously, and when they've had their fill they slowly walk back into the forest.

We return to the van and drive a bit along the track to a hummingbird feeder, which Angel needs to replenish. Once that is done he starts calling again, and we are lucky enough to see a White-throated Wedgebill, which gives us a new species of hummingbird. To Angel's calls the Wood-Quail reappear and get more bananas but unfortunately for us Maria, the Giant Antpitta, is a no-show today. I was really looking forward to seeing this bird up close, but even habituated birds are still their own master and do as they please!

As we go back to the van Pablo explains that when there's been a good amount of rain the worms are close to, or on, the surface, and antpittas can feed quite easily without having to take handouts. That raises some concerns about whether we'll see any of the targets here today.

We drive along a bit once more to a spot near a stream, and Angel does his thing once again. But this antpitta isn't playing either but we're rewarded for our vigilance by seeing two White-capped Dippers fly along the stream, and we also find a roosting Lyre-tailed Nighjar up the hillside.

The next attraction is a Rufous-breatsed Antthrush which I decide to skip on Pablo's advice - apparenlty the path is very steep and extremely slipper when wet. I have an old knee injury and with so much of the holiday still ahead of me it makes sense to play it safe.

We drive to Angel's house meanwhile, which takes us through some agricultural land that makes it very clear that the remnant forest we have been in up to now really just is a remnant, and migh well not be here any longer if it didn't earn its keep. As we drive up the hill the clouds suddenly lift and the sun is coming out.

The promised Toucan Barbets are not in evidence on the fruit feeders - we really seem to have bad luck today, we just have Black-capped Tanager here. Seeing some Velvet-purple Corots around the hummingbird feeders has to be our compensation, and the only remaining guest (two left immedeably after the Cock-of-the-Rock lek) shares his scope with us to allow us to see some very distant Red-billed Parrots. Angel's wife brings coffee and empanadas and we enjoy these afer our very early breakfast. Angel and his family are off to church (it's Sunday today), and we depart to return to Tandayapa lodge.

It's only 10.00 when we arrive and so there's time to try for more photos from the fruit and hummingbirds feeders (but this time without the flash set-up) before a light lunch and the drive back to Quito.

A White-throated Quail-dove visits the fruit feeder, but beyond that the species are much the same as before, with the sxception of Golden-naped Tanager, which is new. For those of you also interested in mammals I'm afraid apart from the Red-tailed Squirrel we didn't see any here. You may know that Olinguito has been seen here, and that for a while Kinkajou and Olingo were nightly visitors at the fruit feeders, but this was not the case when we were there.

Here I'm booked into the same place as on arrival. This is the end of the official photography tour, and from now on I'll be without my fellow tour members. Pablo has given me some instructions for what I might want to do at my two remaining destinations, and he has even given me his private mobile number just in case something goes wrong with the arrangements made for m. That is certainly beyond the call of duty!

I have dinner at the hotel and go for an early night - tomorrow there's another early start.

Andrea

Velvet-purple Coronot
again
a few from the Tandayapa fruit feeders:
White-throated Quail-Dove
Russet-backed Oropendola
again

Attachments

• _DSC4703.jpg
    _DSC4703.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC4712.jpg
    _DSC4712.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 25
  • _DSC4802.jpg
    _DSC4802.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 32
  • _DSC4829.jpg
    _DSC4829.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 28
  • _DSC4857.jpg
    _DSC4857.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 25
And a few last pictures from around Tandapaya lodge.

Andrea

Blue-winged Mountain Tanager
GoldenTanager
Buff-tailed Coronot
Buff-tailed Coronets- I quite like the arty effect
Green-crewned Brilliant (female)

Attachments

• _DSC4871.jpg
    _DSC4871.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC1820.jpg
    _DSC1820.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 25
  • _DSC4752.jpg
    _DSC4752.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC4731.jpg
    _DSC4731.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC4767.jpg
    _DSC4767.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 24
At 5.30 the next morning I take the hotel's shuttle bus to the airport. AFter orienting mhyself I manage to find the right check-in area, and everything goes smoothly there and with security. The same airline has two flights to Coca at the same time from neighbouring gates, and one of them (mine) is delayed. This is supposed to be because of weather which seems a very odd reason given that the other flight does leave on time.

But the delay isn't long and we get into Coca by 8.30 or so. This is a small regional airport where everything is fairly informal. My luggage arrives, and then I get to the spot where all the lodges along the Napo river pick up their guests. Since they all carry signs finding the Sani guys is straightforward. We're distributed over a couple of taxis that takes us to the river. Once we're there we're told that we won't actually leave for three hours. The lodge manager offers to take us on a tour of Coca so that time might pass a bit more quickly. We wakl along the river, those who have to buy vital items (such as the guy who didn't have any cash nor any insect repellent) are guided through the process of dealing with that, and we stop at a tourist shop - but at least it's one where items are hand-crafted by indigenous women who make a bit of money selling their stuff in coca.

He then takes us to a cafeteria so that people can have something to drink or eat. Eventually it's time to go. There's a long narrow boat waiting for us. There are nine of us, plus Sani personnel. We\re told that wildlife watching along the main river isn't any good and that we'll just try to make it to the lodge as quickly as possible. Everybody gets a snack pack with a piece of fruit, some juice and a sandwich, and we set off.

The engine is quite loud making conversations difficult, so we just sit and watch as the boad speeds along. Soon after we leave the town of Coca there is forest along the shores, but there are still plenty of places where civilization has encroached, either in th form of what looks like individual houses, or oil company facilities. After around three hours we reach a landing stage where we get off.

We\re split into two groups now. A family with one single guest are introduced to their guide, and then the remaining couple and myself to ours. Everybody who stays at the lodge is assigned a guide for their stay, and Tropical Birding have ensured that mine is a birding guide. But there's a hitch: The couple is French, and he only speaks that language. His wife also speaks Spanish. My Spanish is non-existent, and my French very rudimentary, so communicating is going to be a problem. It also means that Carlos, our guide, has to say evyerhitng in Spanish and in English, and neither of those is his first language. He later told me that he found this extremely stressful and he only said the minimum possible.

The first group has set off along a boardwalk while we're still busy with introductions, and we follow them without hurrying. After fifteen minutes or so we get to a lagoon, and from their we move on by paddled canoes for another half hour or so before we reach the lodge.

We receive a glass of freshly pressed juice and are given our room numbers. We just drop off our stuff there since by now lunch is quite late and that is the next item on the agenda. Everything is connected by boardwalk, so even if there's a lot of rain it is possible to move between places without having to step onto the mud. Accommodatio is in two person wooden huts with canvas side each with theor own little bit of boardwalk connecting them to the main thoroughfare. It all looks quite nice for the middle of the rain forest, in particular since there's a proper bathrom included.

Lunch at 14.00 is very nice, a salad starter followed by pork with broccoli and more salad, followed by a fresh fruit salad. After that we get the introductory speech which explains how the place works. There are two open-sided roofed areas, one for meals and one known as `the bar' which are communal. It's explained ot us how to get laundry done (this is actually an option here), how to order and pay for drinks, when the generator is busy, and other such bits of important detail.

Sani Lodge is owned by a local tribe and is situated just outside of Yasuni National Park. The lodge gives the locals a reason to preserve the forest, and is an important source of employment for them. With the exception of the manager all the employees are locals, although they seem to be overwhelmingly male. The idea of qual opportunities hasn't made it all the way out here yet. Still, this seems to be just the kind of initiative that the world needs more of.

Carlos points out some birds on the fruit feeders, such as Masked Crimson Tanagers, Blue-grey Tanager, Scarlet-crowend Barbet, Purple Honeycreeper. The bird feeders are never quite so active again as it turns out, and I certainly regret not having my camear with me.

We're all provided with rubber boots, and then he suggests we reconvene at 1515 to do some birding, but just before that time it starts to rain. and rain. A few birds are actually visible from the shelter of the bar, and so for a while we look at those. Nothing too exciting here, a Hoatzin amd a Tropical Kingbird sitting in the rain. The lodge has a tame Greywinged Trumpeter that comes visiting, and we also see a Plumbeous Pigeon.

Eventually it stops at 16.00 and we go for a canoe ride around the lagoon. It's very relaxing to move in this way on the water, looking for birds. Carlos has an assistant for this but I missed his name that first day. Some White-winged Swallows are sitting on poles and branches near the lodge. an We find various herons, namely Capped, Striated, Cocoi, Rufescemt Tiger and Agami, which I've already seen in the Pantanal. A Ringed Kingfisher sits on a perch and where there is some tall grass we see some Smooth-billed Anis and a Black-capped Donacobious is nearby as well.

In the distance Carlos makes out a Green-backed Trogon, and a Slate-coloured Hawk flies over,as do Red-bellied Macaws and Cobalt-winged Parakeets - one certainly has to know the calls in order to identify these in the current conditions. Given how the earlier rain I find it remarkable that once we enter the forest there's very little water dripping on us from above. A White-eared Jacamar is another dsitant finding, and we also see a Squirrel Cuckoo. White-throated Toucan and Ivory-billed Aracari are two other nice birds which unfortunately are too distant to be photographed. In the forest we also see Russet-backed Oropendolas, a Violacous Jay and a Grey-capped Flycather.

The highlight of the day turns up right at the end as it is getting quite dusky: A pair of Amazonian Umbrellabirds flies over, causing considerable exceitement first among our guides, and then us. They land in a tree for a little while, just allowing a couple of photos before flying off, not to be seen again while we're here. That was lucky!

We are back at the lodge at 17.45, which gives us time for a shower before dinner. Very nice food once again - certainly being in the rain forest doesn't mean foughing it here at Sani!

At Sani each group has males with the guide at one table (but this doesn't include the auxiliary guide), and the idea is that one person looks after every participant for the whole stay. There are only three tables in action, so the lodge isn't that busy. Because of the language issues our table is fairly quiet, and the others are rather livelier. Carlos is ambitious in what he wants to show us and we agree on breakfast at 500 next morning.

Andrea

PS Thanks for all the flattering comments on those hummingbird photos!

Photographic opportunities were somewhat limited that first day, so I include some not very good ones for illustration.

Hoatzin in the rain
Tropical Kingbird ditto
White-winged Swallow
What's this?
Amazonian Umbrellabird

Attachments

• _DSC4874.jpg
    _DSC4874.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 33
  • _DSC4879.jpg
    _DSC4879.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC4892.jpg
    _DSC4892.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 19
  • _DSC4900.jpg
    _DSC4900.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 32
  • _DSC4903.jpg
    _DSC4903.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 27
The night was warm enough for me to leave the ceiling ventilator on while the generator was still running, and at 4.40 I get up to join the others for breakfast at 5.00, which consists of fresh fruit followed by eggs and tomatoes. At 5.30 we're off by canoe in the dark.

Birds made out (just) are Sunbittern and Boat-billed Heron. After around half an hour or so we reach a trail head where we get off. It's still fairly dark and once we enter the forest even darker, with the trail pretty slippery. Carlos strides ahead without worrying about our ability to follow him Fortunately for us his assistant, whose name I now know to be jason, is more concerned with looking after us, suggesting less muddy alternatives, and staying with us as we progress at a rather slower pace.

Eventually, at around 6.30, we reach the object of this walk - the canopy tower. We're advised to use the `jungle toilet' since it's a long walk down and back up otherwise (200 or so steps). The tower is a very solid metal construction, rising alongside a most enormous tree, so getting on top is just a question of keeping going.

There's a large and very solid platform at the top of the stairs, and we're keen to have a look around. We're above the canopy for the most part now. It's foggy - yesterday's rain rising to the skies in the everlasting cycle. A Great Potoo roosting in the tree is admired. Apparently this is the youngster from a known breeding pair who rather likes this place.

There aren't too many birds around frrst thing and we have a look around. There are bromeliads and other plants growing on our host tree, and it's interesting to see it all from this perspective.

The first birds are called out, most of them not staying too long in the outer branches of the tree, or further away in other trees, so views rather than photographs are all we get. We have two scopes, but many of these birds move around too fast for that. White-throated Toucan, Black-headed Parrot, Grey-crowned Flatbill, White-browed Purpletuft, Rufous- and Orange-bellied Euphonia, Ivory-billed Aracari, Cinnamon Attila, Dusky-capped Flycatcher and Southern Mealy Amazon are seen.

A Slender-footed Tyrannulet is rather more cooperative, allowing one fairly close photography session.

Andrea

View from the canopy tower first thing
bromeliad
more plant life above the canopy
Slender-footed Tyrannulet
view down onto the rain forest

Attachments

• _DSC4909.jpg
    _DSC4909.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC4922.jpg
    _DSC4922.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC4927.jpg
    _DSC4927.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 25
  • _DSC4932.jpg
    _DSC4932.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC4940.jpg
    _DSC4940.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back