• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID NEEDED, BIRD of PREY, DONANA, SPAIN. (1 Viewer)

JimMorris

I've just found this photo taken in May 2005 at the Donana Natonal Park, Spain. I have no idea what bird of prey it is but I'm sure that someone out there wil be able to ID it. I have lightened it up a bit. Thanks.

Last edited:
Kite, perhaps. Possibly red, looking at markings, although I would have liked to have seen a bit more fork to the tail (but this foreshortened angle and the bird's nature of shape-shifting could account).

Kite for sure, Red possibly because of the widely spread tail, but does the dark eye surround not suggest juvenile Black Kite?

i think i can see 6 primaries which would make it a black kite as well as the underwing white patch not being very distinct.
Actually, it was the very contrasty underwing pattern that led me to think it was RED - although as my first post says - POSSIBLY red - and I'm happy with black (assuming it isn;t a booted eagle . . . ;) )

Last edited:
There's always one . . .

Please note this view is based on seeing many thousands of Black Kite and just a handful of views of Red Kite.

I think its a Red Kite - principally beacuse the wings (especially the hand) looks too long and narrow for Black Kite (which is usually rather more compact in its wing-shape).

According to "Flight Identification of European Raptors" both species have six primaries, so unless I'm hopelessly out of date (which I accept as a very real possibility) then this is not a diagnostic feature.

I also think that the tail is spread pretty wide in the act of turning, when the tail-fork can disappear, and that the vent looks to have too rufous a tone for Black Kite.

I also think that the had of this bird is plaer than I would expect fo most (but not all) Black Kites

Also perhaps a minor point, but based on seeing thousands of Black Kites in Hong Kong I often see the tail twisted out of alignment with the wings, but almost never the head.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you all for your comments and opinions. It seems that the majority go for a Black Kite so I'll go along with that but won't add it to my life list as it's not certain, which is a shame. Never mind I'll try again as I'm thinking of spending the winter in the wilds of Extremadura and Anderlucia, Spain. Thanks once more and happy birding.
Jim

Mike - I don't think that its safe to call this as a Black kite on that one picture either. I've seen Eastern Black Kites look that contrasty underneath, but not Spanish ones. I think its the contrast between the secondaries and underwing coverts that is bothering me.

Here is a Red Kite showing 6 pps

The server isn't having any of it - I'll try again later if I remember

Attachments

• bf.JPG
    bf.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
There's always one . . .

Please note this view is based on seeing many thousands of Black Kite and just a handful of views of Red Kite.

I think its a Red Kite - principally beacuse the wings (especially the hand) looks too long and narrow for Black Kite (which is usually rather more compact in its wing-shape).

According to "Flight Identification of European Raptors" both species have six primaries, so unless I'm hopelessly out of date (which I accept as a very real possibility) then this is not a diagnostic feature.

I also think that the tail is spread pretty wide in the act of turning, when the tail-fork can disappear, and that the vent looks to have too rufous a tone for Black Kite.

I also think that the had of this bird is plaer than I would expect fo most (but not all) Black Kites

Also perhaps a minor point, but based on seeing thousands of Black Kites in Hong Kong I often see the tail twisted out of alignment with the wings, but almost never the head.

Cheers

Mike

Or two....

Single shot, tricky, but I'd agree with Mike.

Except for the last point. Not visited HK...

James

I see in Janes linked birds a Black Kite with 6 visible primaries and a Red Kite (moulting) with 5 visible primaries. The subject bird doe´s have 6 visible primaries , which means - that the innermost primarie we are talking about is longer in Black - if we are talking Black or Red - Black Kite! The angle of the bird may alter the different impression you might get for this to be a Black Kite and as Jane mentioned the underwing looks strange for Black. I even had it down as a younger Bonelli´s Eagle for a moment there.

JanJ

I've just found this photo taken in May 2005 at the Donana Natonal Park, Spain. . . . I have lightened it up a bit.

Possible silly question- Since the pic has been lightened up could this make it more misleading than it really is? Is it worth a look at the original? (ok - which'll probably either be a silhouette or 'look' like it is Black Kite) Just a thought out of interest . . . . !!

Hi there

Have to agree with Mike and Jane - Red Kite. Jizz, dimensions, tail (at that angle you are unlikely to see any fork, but the outer tail feathers look "sharp tipped"). i think the 5 or 6 primary debate is also fairly irrelevant at such an angle as you can see all the outer primaries are well separated, which in itself would make the "6th" primary look like another "separated" primary (if you get my drift). Although the photo is quite sunwashed the general contrast in plumage tones (more obvious on Red Kite) would also suggest the species.
But that's just an opinion - nobody's paying me to get it right!

Steve West
http://birdinginspain.com

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back