• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone heard from Kay Optical recently? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Kay Optical in Morden are a reputable optics outfit, sales and service included. I ordered something from them in early March, and paid by CC, but it hasn´t arrived, and since then any attempt to contact them has proved fruitless - by phone, email or fax. There is a definitie Marie Celeste feel to this; has anyone had contact with them during March? Many thanks.

Sancho,

Perhaps J. Habakuk Jepson knows what happened. :)

Kay has a used 12x50 SE for $959, which is no bargain, at least on this side of the pond. Better off with that cheaper-than-US-price new 10x42 SE at Clifton Camera, mentioned on the Nikon forum.

Did you use a credit card? Was it charged? If so, it's time to contact your credit card company and ask for a chargeback before your money disappears along with everything else on the "ghost ship".

Brock

Sounds like these guys might be like Mr. Potter in "Pottersville", eh! ;)

Don't mean to may light of your situation. Hope you get everything sorted!

Sancho,

Perhaps J. Habakuk Jepson knows what happened. :)

Brock

:-O! I just re-read the JHJ´s account online, and wondered if perhaps the old lady was about to rummage in her skirts and present to him, not the ear-shaped meteor-stone, but the Swarovski Astro-Adapter I ordered from Kay...

Kay Optical in Morden are a reputable optics outfit, sales and service included. I ordered something from them in early March, and paid by CC, but it hasn´t arrived, and since then any attempt to contact them has proved fruitless - by phone, email or fax. There is a definitie Marie Celeste feel to this; has anyone had contact with them during March? Many thanks.

Hi Sancho,

I ordered a binocular strap from Kay recently and had a bit of trouble getting contact when it hadn't arrived after a week. Phone messages and emails were ignored and when I eventually got through he said he would look in to it. Nothing happened for a few days, more messages were ignored. I eventually got through a second time when he said the order had got 'missed'. I received the strap a few days later.

Something seems to be amiss - my understanding was that Kay had a very good reputation.......

Let us now how you get on.

Hi Sancho,

I ordered a binocular strap from Kay recently and had a bit of trouble getting contact when it hadn't arrived after a week. Phone messages and emails were ignored and when I eventually got through he said he would look in to it. Nothing happened for a few days, more messages were ignored. I eventually got through a second time when he said the order had got 'missed'. I received the strap a few days later.

Something seems to be amiss - my understanding was that Kay had a very good reputation.......

Let us now how you get on.

Thanks Perry, someone I know here in Ireland had a similar experience recently with Kay. As you said, they had a great reputation, so I imagine there´s "Trouble at ´Mill". I hope everyone there is well, my measly adapter is not an issue compared to business, health or other issues that might be causing problems at the company.

Last edited:
Hi Sancho,
You may be right in what you say but I think a business stands and falls by its service to customers, that has to be the bottom line for any business. So your order does count! As an example I ordered a set of binoculars from cameralandny, very easy and smooth, New York to New Zealand from order in six days! Tom

I returned an item to them and noticed on my following statement i had not been reimbursed, so had then to chase them up about it, very shabby as far as i am concerned...

ditto. My experience of their Admin was pretty poor. They sent me the same eyepiece twice. Later I had to send them a copy of a bank statement to prove that I had paid for the scope!! Would not buy anything from these guys again.

Last edited:
Thanks Perry, someone I know here in Ireland had a similar experience recently with Kay. As you said, they had a great reputation, so I imagine there´s "Trouble at ´Mill". I hope everyone there is well, my measly adapter is not an issue compared to business, health or other issues that might be causing problems at the company.

I wouldn't say it wasn't an issue, if they've taken money for an order they have an obligation to fulfil it - you are far too kind and understanding! What ever the reason a little bit of communication and good customer service wouldn't go amiss anyway. Keep chasing them, and if you can see if you can stop/recall the payment.

Perry

Is it not just a one man business?

I've never had a problem with them, by mail, phone or in person.
Visited once.

Spoke on the phone last month and had a documentary response in the post next day.

Is it not just a one man business?

I've never had a problem with them, by mail, phone or in person.
Visited once.

Spoke on the phone last month and had a documentary response in the post next day.

Yes, Tom, I get the impression it´s a staff of one. Still haven´t got my adapter, mind you, and they never "got back" to me. Not holding my breath.

but what's the alternative in London ??

Hi Sancho,
You may be right in what you say but I think a business stands and falls by its service to customers, that has to be the bottom line for any business. So your order does count! As an example I ordered a set of binoculars from cameralandny, very easy and smooth, New York to New Zealand from order in six days! Tom

Too right it does. I've actually enjoyed going to the shop in Morden over the years and it pains me to say I wont go again following yet another, pretty major, problem with an order recently. I dont know what's going on there but standards have fallen. The obvious follow-on question though is : what is the best alternative in London these days to getting a stiff focus wheel fixed ??? Anyone got any advice ?
Thanks ,
David Thorns
www.skutchia.com

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back