• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron 200-500mm vs. sigma 170-500mm (1 Viewer)

Interesting stuff Max. I am a birder who's just bought a decent camera/lens combination so I have never been in the mindset of planning photos. This might explain some of my results!

Hello Steve, thank you for your appreciation.
As soon as I can, since my RAWs are stored at home, I'll bring them here in my office and upload .. in any case, if the shot is good from the start, there's no night-and-day difference between the two of them: I apply just a small amount of sharpening, and take care of blurring the background when possible.

Apparently there's no easy solution to the problem mentioned: it's a structural limit.
I find quite cumbersome switching the AF/MF button, aim and switch again... usually there's no time enough to do that (or I'm not that good at it); it works for static subjects though, especially when there are twigs and branches in between, making AF struggle.
What I usually do is aiming at the point where I expect the subject coming (usually infinite) and focus on a nearby object: in this way, I'm quite prepared and need only fine tuning; it goes withouth saying that you MUST know your spot, understand what your most frequent opportunities are and CHOOSE what your next subject will be ... Murphy's Law always applies here, when I set my rig for a wader in the mudflat, a raptor appears over the reedbed, when I wait for a seagull diving in the pond, a wren pops up foraging on the ground .. that's the funny part of our hobby! :-O

As for flight shots, I try to be as precise as possible, I wait for the subject to be quite close and autofocus ONLY when the focus point IS on the subject (and TRY to keep the focus on it), so a good panning technique is quite useful ... or, if the bird is flying, say, from left to right, I quickly anticipate it and AF on an object roughly on the same plane, then come back on the subject.
As you can see, there's no one single recipe for any situation, except buying a FMF lens ;) ... just kidding, I do believe that lots of practice make life easier ...
Cheers,
Max

Hi there,
[this is my first forum post, so I hope it works ok!]
I've had the Tamron lens for a couple of days now, and, though I'm waiting to get hold of a Manfrotto 393 head to put it on, I'm pretty happy with it. I spent many hours trawling the gallery and using its excellent search function to compare shots, before settling on the Tamron. I guess it depends what camera you use with it re. light levels; my experience with my Nikon D300 so far is that exposure is great given camera's ISO ability; issue remains one of getting the focus right, and trying to avoid camera shake.
The Nikon version which I have does not have the MF-AF switch (which the Canon version does have), and comes with an aperture ring. I think that to get sharp shots in focus, I'll definitely try to use manual focus, either uniquely or in a combination with AF to get reasonably close - though matters will probably improve significantly once it's safely mounted on a tripod. I haven't had too much joy hand-held, but that's not too surprising. I can also share the issue about the freely ranging AF, but I think I've had problems with this only with relatively small subjects.
Unlike more expensive/Nikon lenses, it has no 'AF with manual priority' mode, and if you use it with your camera's AF, the focus ring will need space to be left to rotate freely. This is a consideration if resting on a beanbag (though so far I've had some reasonable results by holding the tripod mount foot on the beanbag, rather than the lens itself). I'll also try to use it with a remote when possible.
Cheers,
Dave

i had the 170/500 sigma and sent it back after a week it was hopeless poor AF and poor IQ .
the 50/500 is said to be far better .
Rob

Personal perspective

Distance to subject, subject size and IQ of the lens are all inter-related. -- The first two correlate to determining the long end needs and the latter is strongly related to cost.

Mothman13 did a chart for a Nikon D80 with a 1.5X crop Factor for different FOV image sizes (18mm - 500mm)...

http://www.pbase.com/mothman13/image/74511515 (5 - 30 feet)
http://www.pbase.com/mothman13/image/74511517 (35 - 60 feet)

Evaluate your intended subjects' sizes in light of his FOV chart above.... A perched Bald Eagle is ~24" tall. At 200' the field of view for a 500mm lens is ~72" so the subject would occupy ~1/3 of the vertcal FOV. In my experience, cropping more than 1/3 - 1/2 to fill the FOV is when your IQ starts to degrade.

If you're anticipating a 'birding' lens for use out and about, then at least 500mm should, and eventually will probably be, your goal.

Having done the same due diligence, my research indicated the consensus for moderately priced ($500-1,000) alternatives (Nikon-mount) to get to 500mm seems to be--

300 f/4 + TC
Bigma
Tamron 200-500 Di

--FWIW, The Sigma 170-500 seems to be a hit or miss with good copies

--The 300 f/4 + TC has best IQ but is a bit more pricey and is a fixed focal length

--The Tamron has a bit slower AF in lower light and IQ better in the 300 range

--The Bigma has the better AF and contrast; especially in lower light, compared to the Tamron

--All best shot on stable tripod but, it good light, can produce good images w/monopod or good hand holding techniques and faster shutter speeds/higher ISO if needed.

Availability of used copies seem to be in reversed order:
--Bigma most available
--Tamron 200-500
--300 f/4

If low light/poor shooting conditions are prevalent (such as cloudy UK et al), all seem to be frustrating due to slower long end apertures. In good light/shooting conditions, with good techniques, can produce some good-great images.

The Bigma with a Kenko Pro DG 300 Pro 1.4X TC will still AF... Using the Sigma EX 1.4X TC, with the initial pin taped, will also allow AF. As one would expect, low light and/or poor contrast will cause more AF hunting when using a TC. Operator experience & technique also will play a large part in consistent results but it all starts with quality glass -- especially as the distance to subject increases and/or subject size decreases.

A lot of my images in my wildlife galleries are hand held with the Bigma/D50.

My personal Bigma review after 3-months of shooting last year--
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=181762#post181762

User survey of performance ratings for various lenses--
http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylens.jsp

Bigma Reviews-- (Some for Canon Mount)
--www.lonestardigital.com/Sigma_50-500.htm
--web.archive.org/... .../8Reviews/lenses/sigma_50500_463/index.htm
--www.fredmiranda.com/... ...roduct.php?product=105&sort=7&cat=37&page=2
--www.naturescapes.net/092003/hf0903.htm
--www.vividlight.com/Articles/413.htm
--www.ephotozine.com/article/Sigma-50-500mm-f4-63-EX-DG-APO-HSM
--www.creationview.com/Review9.html
--shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/lenses/0101sb_megazoom/
--www.photographyreview.com/... .../sigma/PRD_84817_3128crx.aspx
--www.polkcountycameraclub.com/articles/Sigma50-500mm.html

In the end, I'd recommend the Bigma as one of the best 500mm lens for its price point, IQ and versatility. If your budget is limited, then a feeding station/blind to close the subject distance would be the way to go.

Attachments

• 121399RTH-IF-_5247_filtered_Medium_.jpg
    121399RTH-IF-_5247_filtered_Medium_.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 789
  • Pelican-IF-3661_filteredMedium.jpg
    Pelican-IF-3661_filteredMedium.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 682
Can anyone give me advice for a lens? I have a Pentax K10D, and am going to Costa Rica in the spring (March/April), and wanted a good lens for wildlife/rain forest photos...currently have 18-55 kit lens and 50-200, but not thrilled with them...I'd been wanting a longer reach lens but am not sure whether I'd be better off getting a 400 or 500 mm lens, or a faster 2.8 lens (ie, 200 mm 2.8 or 300 mm 4). Can anyone give me some advice?

Beth
Distance to subject, subject size and IQ of the lens are all inter-related. -- The first two correlate to determining the long end needs and the latter is strongly related to cost.

Mothman13 did a chart for a Nikon D80 with a 1.5X crop Factor for different FOV image sizes (18mm - 500mm)...

http://www.pbase.com/mothman13/image/74511515 (5 - 30 feet)
http://www.pbase.com/mothman13/image/74511517 (35 - 60 feet)

Evaluate your intended subjects' sizes in light of his FOV chart above.... A perched Bald Eagle is ~24" tall. At 200' the field of view for a 500mm lens is ~72" so the subject would occupy ~1/3 of the vertcal FOV. In my experience, cropping more than 1/3 - 1/2 to fill the FOV is when your IQ starts to degrade.

If you're anticipating a 'birding' lens for use out and about, then at least 500mm should, and eventually will probably be, your goal.

Having done the same due diligence, my research indicated the consensus for moderately priced ($500-1,000) alternatives (Nikon-mount) to get to 500mm seems to be--

300 f/4 + TC
Bigma
Tamron 200-500 Di

--FWIW, The Sigma 170-500 seems to be a hit or miss with good copies

--The 300 f/4 + TC has best IQ but is a bit more pricey and is a fixed focal length

--The Tamron has a bit slower AF in lower light and IQ better in the 300 range

--The Bigma has the better AF and contrast; especially in lower light, compared to the Tamron

--All best shot on stable tripod but, it good light, can produce good images w/monopod or good hand holding techniques and faster shutter speeds/higher ISO if needed.

Availability of used copies seem to be in reversed order:
--Bigma most available
--Tamron 200-500
--300 f/4

If low light/poor shooting conditions are prevalent (such as cloudy UK et al), all seem to be frustrating due to slower long end apertures. In good light/shooting conditions, with good techniques, can produce some good-great images.

The Bigma with a Kenko Pro DG 300 Pro 1.4X TC will still AF... Using the Sigma EX 1.4X TC, with the initial pin taped, will also allow AF. As one would expect, low light and/or poor contrast will cause more AF hunting when using a TC. Operator experience & technique also will play a large part in consistent results but it all starts with quality glass -- especially as the distance to subject increases and/or subject size decreases.

A lot of my images in my wildlife galleries are hand held with the Bigma/D50.

My personal Bigma review after 3-months of shooting last year--
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=181762#post181762

User survey of performance ratings for various lenses--
http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylens.jsp

Bigma Reviews-- (Some for Canon Mount)
--www.lonestardigital.com/Sigma_50-500.htm
--web.archive.org/... .../8Reviews/lenses/sigma_50500_463/index.htm
--www.fredmiranda.com/... ...roduct.php?product=105&sort=7&cat=37&page=2
--www.naturescapes.net/092003/hf0903.htm
--www.vividlight.com/Articles/413.htm
--www.ephotozine.com/article/Sigma-50-500mm-f4-63-EX-DG-APO-HSM
--www.creationview.com/Review9.html
--shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/lenses/0101sb_megazoom/
--www.photographyreview.com/... .../sigma/PRD_84817_3128crx.aspx
--www.polkcountycameraclub.com/articles/Sigma50-500mm.html

In the end, I'd recommend the Bigma as one of the best 500mm lens for its price point, IQ and versatility. If your budget is limited, then a feeding station/blind to close the subject distance would be the way to go.

Can anyone give me advice for a lens? I have a Pentax K10D, and am going to Costa Rica in the spring (March/April), and wanted a good lens for wildlife/rain forest photos...currently have 18-55 kit lens and 50-200, but not thrilled with them...I'd been wanting a longer reach lens but am not sure whether I'd be better off getting a 400 or 500 mm lens, or a faster 2.8 lens (ie, 200 mm 2.8 or 300 mm 4). Can anyone give me some advice?

Beth

you said Pentax right Beth?? just ask as this is a Nikon forum. I guess the obvious answer is Pentax 300f4. They've announced a 1.4tc but not certain when it is due out.

not sure there are longer prime lenses for Pentax.

you could go for a consumer lens from Sigma or Tamron but I'd have thought the 300f4. You can probably get a TC from someone like Kenko to fit it if you can't get a Pentax.

another option would be the Sigma 100-300 f4 you could get a sigma 1.4 tc. gets could reviews in it Nikon format on photozone.de

bit heavy but...

Last edited:
Hi Beth
The possibilities are enormous and most have already been quoted. I have been in the same position as your self and am now in the fortunate position at retirement age to have bought a top of the range lens and camera to go with it. Having had the Tamron 200 to 500 and Nikon D70, 200 and 300 I wanted a better faster lens. I had problems finding a 600 Nikon VR prime with a reasonable delivery time, most quoted 9 months or more if lucky. So whilst in San Diego I bought a Canon D50 and 600mm IS prime. Great one thinks ..but if you are travelling and want a lens for instant immediate use forget it, it is big and heavy, not easily transportable. I am absolutely delighted with it but even this desirable beast has its drawbacks. I am also lucky that I have just bought a Nikon 70 to 200 f2.8 VR lens. Also a very nice and desirable lens but for bird work it need extending and it does produce wonderful images with a Tamron 1.4 and 2x teleconvertor. So the drawback here is that I have another heavy lens and TC but still only a maximum 400mm. reach. So back to the Tamron 200 to 400. It did not focus too well on my D200 but on the D300 with a 1.4 TC which gives you 700mm it works well.
The Tamrom 200 to 500 is a good compromise between long range big and heavy and short range faster better quality. It's only drawback for me has been poor operation in low light. This whole business is compromise and I have done many tests now using better shorter lenses and cropping, in the end the results are never really much different from the longer range of the Tamron which is cheaper, smaller and much much lighter to carry. Hope this help.

Daveash

Hi Beth,

You may get more responses by posting your question in a new thread with appropriate subject title. This thread, being mainly about the Tamron vs. Sigma zooms, may limit the number of folks who get to see your question. Just a thought!

For what it's worth, I use the Tamron 200-500 and find it can deliver very sharp images, especially in good light. AF struggles a bit in poor light or with small subjects but overall I'd rate it very highly.

Good searching - I hope you find something you like.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back