• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Sheringham this morning... posted by Dan on Punkb.

Great Shearwater 4,
Sabine's Gull 1 juv,
Storm-petrel 1
Long-tailed Skua 2 juvs,
Sooty Shearwater 45,
Manx Shearwater 6,
Arctic Skua 55,
Great Skua 45,
Little Gull ca. 1000,
Arctic Tern 150.

nice work chaps :t: (I'll explain what work is at some point Dan... B :))

Just found out from a friend with a pager (just come on at 9.47pm) that 3 Great Shearwaters had gone through Holme today between 6am and 6pm, along with 6 Sabines Gulls!!!!!!!!! - again late news. Would not have made any difference to me, as was at work all day and could only get out for short time this evening, but some people would have liked to have the chance to see these!!! Ok we don't have to share our news, but if you are going to put it on the pagers, then why not have the curtesy to inform people earlier!

Grrrrrrrr yes found out about this :C and 5 Leach's Petrels as well.

Hi Everyone
hope this is the correct forum. I'm coming up to North Norfolk on saturday for a week, staying at Wiveton. I just wondered if there are any local hot spots that I should not miss at this time of year? We only started bird watching about two years ago, but we have been to norfolk twce this year,and have had a great time. The girlfriend also loves to walk (I say hike) any realy nice circular walks that anyone knows of near by?

Hi Dave and others

Yes I was the one I guess to are referring to that saw 2 Greats yesterday late on. All I done is what Rob said and grabbed the moment without knowing what had been seen there apart from the early Great. I had on Sunday night predicted Great Shearwater for Norfolk on Monday, I knew if 1 had passed there were bound to be more. When i got to the shelter I was gobsmacked to learn that there had been 12 already!! i got there at 1600 and stayed till dusk. The late arriver had not had a tip of just chanced his arm. The last Great Shear was at 1850.

so the moral of the story is just go whatever news there has or has not been on the pager as long as the weather is still good theres always a chance. I have spent many an hour there and seen FA. Tonight after work FA, but at least I tried.

Ashley

Hi Everyone
hope this is the correct forum. I'm coming up to North Norfolk on saturday for a week, staying at Wiveton. I just wondered if there are any local hot spots that I should not miss at this time of year? We only started bird watching about two years ago, but we have been to norfolk twce this year,and have had a great time. The girlfriend also loves to walk (I say hike) any realy nice circular walks that anyone knows of near by?

No shortage of good walks around the wiveton area (Cley being in close proximity will nodoubt boost your bird sightings)

Here's some walks that I've done myself recently along with some pics of the general area, I've outlined the routes in blue dots! Remember there is a regular bus service that travels up and down the coast road so you can easily get to anywhere up the coast and walk back along the coast path to Cley or wherever (depending on how far you want to walk)

You'll find more information and pictures about the local area on my birding day thread at..

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=91142

Matt

Attachments

• gam_ordsvywat-sun-17241816251550.png
    gam_ordsvywat-sun-17241816251550.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 61
  • cley windmill from blakeney fresh marsh.jpg
    cley windmill from blakeney fresh marsh.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 64
  • gam_ordsvywat-sun-17241827251593.png
    gam_ordsvywat-sun-17241827251593.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 64
  • looking over salthousecley from salthouse heath.jpg
    looking over salthousecley from salthouse heath.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Dave, the real villain of the piece is the Norfolk Education Authority who force you (and me) to have six weeks off work in July and August. I suggest we start a campaign for this holiday to be moved to Sept/ oct!

I was hacked off yesterday, could have gone to coast after work but had previously arranged for someone to come around to sort out my errant TV aerial, waited in but he didn't show. Perhaps he'd gone to Sheringham.

Hi Peter and Dave

Could not agree more Peter!

I spent the day with an inspector in and then had a staff meeting at the end of the day for de-briefing. Why don't these daft people understand that us birders need to 'seize the day'. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sue

(4 Common Buzzards circling over my house on Saturday)

so the moral of the story is just go whatever news there has or has not been on the pager as long as the weather is still good theres always a chance.
Ashley

Very true Ash

it does sound trite but it's still true

when we had that fantastic spell for migrants recently our village had Greenish, 2 Wrynecks, 3 RBS and Barred along with lost of commoner migrants. Only saw one other birder all day. It was geat.

Had the odd sight of two Wood Sands on sand in front of the reefs last night, Dark-bellied Brent goose (second rec of autumn after the four 10 days ago) and plenty of Gannets but very much a case of after ther Lord Mayors' Show

it was feeling a bit more 'migranty' though this morning...

Please ignore my rants if you are not interested in Norfolk listing!

Second hand news says that 'all the top Norfolk birders have now seen Great Shearwater in Norfolk

Maybe thats because they were birding long before pagers were on the scene and have got in the habit of going out when the conditions were good rather than sitting at home waiting for something to bleep

Ashley

possible Wilsons Phalarope/Marsh Sand Titchwell RSPB on freshmarsh from Parrinder Hide at dusk, may have been present since 5:00pm.

Anyone know any more about this?

Cheers,

possible Wilsons Phalarope/Marsh Sand Titchwell RSPB on freshmarsh from Parrinder Hide at dusk, may have been present since 5:00pm.

Anyone know any more about this?

Cheers,

I hope it hasn't been there since five as no-one reported back to the visitor centre and the news only came out on the pager at 7:20! Unfortunatly we couldn't get to the reserve with enough light but someone will be going in early to check it out. Unfortunatly the reserve staff are sometimes the last people to hear about things.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow

Paul

i was at Titchwell from 1300 to about 1600 - looked through all the waders! lots of nice stuff like the pec, curlew sands, 2 little stints...and lots and lots of Ruff..including some small yellow legged birds ;) - Will be very annoyed if a Wilson's phal flew in an hour after i left!!! Lots of other birds moving through like 80 pink feet, 2 buzzard and out to sea 14 eider, red t diver etc etc....

Fingers crossed indeed!!! I have to work until 1.30pm and by the time I get there the carparks will be overflowing no doubt!!!!!!:t:

After work had to go to Currys on at Hardwick, King's Lynn and had two fantastic bird sightings: 44 pink footed geese, flying in a V making their way towards the wash!!! and amongst the trees in Tesco's carpark the sky was full with pied wagtails coming into roost!!!!! I couldn't begin to count them, complete guess here, but at least a hundred!!!

A friend birding at Titchwell today had 5 buzzards go west (towards Holme) and my mother had about 30 pinkfeet this morning over Holme.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi all,

We've geese in the east too; 46 Pink's flew over Happisburgh at c.6pm headed towards the broads. Had a Chiffy in the garden too and 4 Yellow Wagtails briefly landed in nearby Poplars before flying west....

James

No sign of wilsons phal/marsh sand this morning, people are looking so if its out there it will get seen (and hopefully reported!). A very vague description has been passed through a few people, but nothing given to clench the ID of this bird.

No sign of wilsons phal/marsh sand this morning, people are looking so if its out there it will get seen (and hopefully reported!). A very vague description has been passed through a few people, but nothing given to clench the ID of this bird.

the vague discription I heard could have been almost anything (greenshank or spotshank sprung to mind), it will be interesting to see if the photos that were apparently taken of it can confirm anything. Still 5+ curlew sand, 2 little stint and the pec made for a nice day.

Just a heads up on possible developing conditions - Wednesday, very strong Ns all day Tuesday and then NWs on Wed, could be decent seawatching wise. Second bite of the cherry for some.....?

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back