• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Blakeney Point tomorrow afternoon will be on the agenda I think after daybreak start at my end of the coast.

Good Night and Good Birding tomorrow everyone.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:[/QUOTE]

Hope you find some goodies Penny. With North-easterlies and rain it should be alive with migrants for the weekend ! I hear there was a mega migration taking place from Scandinavia over Holland so with luck.................
Here's to the weekend ;););)

Sue

Hello all, just moved up to Norfolk to study at UEA, my first post on this thread. Matt, I too was at Happisburgh and ticked off the Sandpiper, awesome! Had a look out to sea and saw around 14 Brents, 3 Razorbill and a few Sanderling on the shore. On my way back to the car, around 4pm, I got a poor view of what I assumed was a GG Shrike in the horse paddocks. I was on my own at the time, and later a couple of birders helped me look for a while, but other than a distant view on telegraph wires no sign. Glad to hear someone else got a look at it. Still a great afternoon, and signs that today was the first real day of autumn.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim

There's a fairly active UEA and ex-UEA birding scene. Have a look at the punkbirder: http://www.freewebs.com/punkbirder/ website to see the kind of thing I mean. Simon Mitchell is trying to revive the now extinct UEA-bird club, might be worth sending him an E-mail (about to pm) you his E-mail address. I don't know if you use facebook, but if you do there's a group you can join, which most of the other UEA birders have also joined:

http://uea.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2244347670

Cheers

Ilya

Dusk till Dawn birding ish.

Went to Happisburgh and managed to get the buff-breast in the dying minutes of light. Up early (5am) to walk Blakeney Point before work, expecting a big hall of eastern passerines and found an American wadert instead! Pec Sand - probably actually the one that's been knocking around the north coast for a while and I guess technically they can come from the east as well as the west. Roosting with a flock of dunlin just above the the much much higher than normal tideline - i.e. in the middle of Blakeney Point. Picked it up as a probable in flight with the longer wings and back markings, but luckily it settled allowing clinching views.

Clear skies from about at least half-four onwards meant little in the way of fall, but quite a few goldcrests. Also 2 Lapland buntings, 1 snow bunting, 1 hobby & 2 jack snipe. Back at the carpark just as the rain hit, bringing in what promises to be the best fall this year - c'est la vie. Car in about half a foot of water with waves lapping over the seawall again. Even Blakeney Point was almost Blakeney Island!

ps Tim - would love to, but going to France (leaving in about 15 mins)

Last edited:
Hi I was just wondering has anyone seen any Little Stints at salthouse this week. Im planning a trip tomorrow and would like to see them at close range.
Thanks
Lee

Lee ~ the last report on RBA for LS at Salthouse was for Sat 22nd Sept when 11 were present. Since then, until yesterday at least, there have been up to 5 at Cley NWT.

Hope you have some good birding...

James

Lee ~ the last report on RBA for LS at Salthouse was for Sat 22nd Sept when 11 were present. Since then, until yesterday at least, there have been up to 5 at Cley NWT.

There have been little stints at Salthouse in the first half of the week, but I've not heard since. Unless it's been flooded out I'd expect there to be a few down there.

7 Little Stints at Titchwell this morning, flew in next to Island Hide then had them fly over the path on my return.
Unfortunately I didn't have as much time for birding as I would have hoped for. Spent an hour at Holkham - lots of Goldcrests, few Chiffchaffs etc, also a smart Pied Fly being chased by a Brambling. Plenty of Brambling flying over, calling, and a few in the trees along with plenty of Redwing. Looks good for the weekend....

Another Stonking Day

Thornham Point and Blakeney Point

Arrived Titchwell RSPB 6.55am.

Several Goldcrests calling in the trees in carpark. Had quick walk round Fen Trail, not much in there yet, raining slightly and dull, very windy weather!!! Got on to main path and was gobsmacked by the state of the tide, the whole of the west side of marsh next to path was completely flooded, it was an amazing sight! 3 Wheaters flicked back and forth from main path ahead. 21 Coots, 5 shelducks flew over, tons of Knot and usual waders. Main reason for coming this morning was to try and see the Great Grey Shrike at Thornham Point that was seen yesterday. Half way along I bumped into some young lads who I think were volunteers for Titchwell - I asked them if they had seen the shrike and they said they couldn't get up there yet because of the tide!!! ( I like a challenge;)) When I got to the viewing platform it was just stunning, the sea was violently lashing into the dunes, in fact you couldn't really stand on the viewing platform the spray was coming over!!! It was now 8am (high tide was 7.49am) so I knew it wouldn't come any higher - so I preceded to clamber over the marrams to the point, which was an expedition in itself as there was no path, it was very up hill and down dale, how I didn't rick my ankle I don't know, but I was determined and excited about the fact I would be first up there and the possibility of seeing that shrike! It was an amazing walk 8.40am flushed a Short Eared Owl from the Marram Grass, right next to me, it flew off south towards reserve centre and immediately straight after flushed a Hobby with prey from the buckthorn seaward side just before the point. I realised on reaching the area of buckthorn and trees where shrike had been seen, that I could not get across yet because of the water, so while waiting for this to subside I walked onto the beach which I could just about walk on now and saw loads of Sanderling and Turnstone, Knot, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, 1 little egret in channel. Stumbled upon 2 Stunning Purple Sandpipers! following the tideline, they seemed incredibly tame. Raining steadily now, I managed to get across to main area of buckthorn and went round a couple of times, but no luck with shrike:-C, but did flush a Sparrowhawk!, then stood in the brick building to have a drink of water and cheese scone. Then crossed over to beach and saw a couple of Rock Pipits. I caught up with the Purple Sandpipers again and in the rain I managed to get some naff but record shots of them with Coolpix camera (showed them back at Titchwell Centre). One man passed me to go to the Point on my way back, but apart from him, one other couple were on the beach and I only passed a couple of people along main bank much to my surprise! Had another Wheatear on path on the way back! It was definately worth getting out of bed for this morning! Put my list of birds in the log book back at centre and chatted to staff and then went to carpark and had some lunch, then drove to Cley Coastguards to meet my friend Pete to do Blakeney Point!

Blakeney Point - 2.30pm

Lots of birds flitting about and diving in to bushes in the wind, it was hard to pick stuff up, no doubt there will be some biggys turn up there when the wind drops. Lots of Redwing, stopped counting after a while, at least 20+, lots of Meadow Pipits, Chaffinches. Had fantastic views of 2 Snowbuntings on seawards side, Sparrowhawk was floating about. Little Egret. Lots of Goldcrests, 1 Wheatear. We passed BF Member J Moss (nice to meet you Jason) who had seen a Great Grey Shrike, Quail and something else, I can't remember what now. We also passed a group of birders who had also seen the shrike in and around the Plantation Area!!! (that would make up for this morning I thought), also another couple of birders had also seen Ring Ouzels and Redstarts and a Pied Fly! My feet started to go faster now, its amazing how a Great Grey Shrike can speed you up;). Arrived at Plantation at 4.30pm to have stonking views of the Great Grey Shrike sitting quite at ease in the Pine tree:t: - also a nice Brambling (5.20pm) sitting in one of the bushes, lots of very tired Goldcrests, a nice Blackcap flicking about, several Chaffinches. Walked over behind to 'Near Point' but couldn't see the Redstarts or Ouzels. Sat by plantation again and had cup of tea and something to eat and started the trawl back in drizzly rain. Another Wheatear on way back, lots more Redwings, another Little Egret and finished off with 1 Greenshank. Got back to Coastguards at 7.10pm, now very dusky! Got straight in car and drove back to King's Lynn. Knackered to say the least.

Out again tomorrow, think I will flush out a few goodies at Holme tomorrow!!!

Good Luck tomorrow everyone!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Pretty good day in Norfolk, though looking for passerines was hard work in the wind and rain!

1 hour's seawatch off Sheringham produced 2 juv Sabines (one lingering for a few minutes just beyond the surf), a Grey Phalarope west at great speed, one Sooty Shear and 20+ Little Gulls.

Holkham and Wells Woods were obviously holoding lots of fresh migrants, but the conditions weren't good enough for much to be showing or feeding well. Got very brief views and three calls from a Greenish at Wells, along with a few Bramblings, 1 Ring Ouzel, 1 Redstart, Chiffs and Blackcaps. A late-ish juv Hobby was taking Migrant Hawkers at Holkham in the rain.

I suspect that there will be a few very good birds in the county over the weekend - perhaps Sunday when the weather quietens down a bit. Perhaps the Shetland guys could send that Sibe Thrush south when they've seen enough of it!

Fantastic read there Penny

Never seen the sea that high up at Titchwell/general area myself yet, must have been quite a sight ..can't wait to get up there again next week!

Well done with the Shrike btw

Where are those PICS!!;)

Matt

Well what a blast of a day!
Started at Cley for the Grey Phalarope and then to the beach where the waves were lapping over the sea bank at high tide in a few places and watched the Sabines Gull on the flooded area behind the bank. A quick dash to Weybourne for my second RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL in Norfolk! WOW! I took a few photos. (See attached) After release it flew up high and flew south. Back to Wells woods for a Pied Flycatcher (but missed the Red-breasted Flycatcher and Yellow-browed Warbler). Raced back to Cley for the Grey Phalarope had multiplied itself into 3 Grey Phalaropes and had been joined by a Red-necked Phalarope!
After a chat with Ruralchill I headed home only to be deflected at Holkham and down Lady Ann's drive for the Wryneck!
What a day! Brilliant!

Attachments

• Red-flanked-Bluetail-(2)-We.jpg
    Red-flanked-Bluetail-(2)-We.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Red-flanked-Bluetail--(1)-W.jpg
    Red-flanked-Bluetail--(1)-W.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 67
o:)What a superb day today on the patch at Holme. The main highlights were:

Barred Warbler-1 in the NOA carpark throughout the day. Started off as very elusive in the large sea-buckthorn thicket opposite car-park but once it had switched to the other side of the track, with a bit of patience, it would show well, although it dissapeared late afternoon.

Yellow-browed Warbler- 1 was very elusive in sycamores next to the 'for sale' caravan alongside the track. After much perseverance excellent views were eventually obtained and it called a couple of times as well. Was still present at c. 5:00pm when I went back for a second look.

Sabine's Gull- 1 flew east past at c. 9:20am, 1/2 distance mid-morning during a sea-watch by myself, dad and R. Roche.

Lapland Bunting- 1 flew west over the main track, calling, late morning (c. 10:30am)

Stuff that I missed included:

2 Great-grey Shrikes, one present early morning only when moved west and may have gone inland, one in off the sea at Thornham

2 other Yellow-browed Warblers, one in the sycamore by the NOA observatory at c. 5:15pm and one in Willows by Brook house near the hump-back bridge in Holme village. (two of the three Yelow-browed Warblers were found by a bf member from Titchwell! ;))

1 Ring Ouzel, flew west over pines and landed in grass near coastal path (also seen by a prominent bf member ;))

Also seen by myself:
8 Redpolls (7 west, 1 on NOA reserve), 7 Siskins, 5 Bramblings, 1 Grey Wagtail east, 200+ Redwings, 1 prob Snow Bunting east, 4 Blackcaps, 1 Sand Martin west, 1 female Redstart, 1 female Pied Flycatcher, 2 Greenshanks, 6 Stonechat, 2 Chiffchaffs, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Wheatear, 1 Woodcock, 1 eared owl sp (v brief in dunes) 2 Rock Pipits west, 15 Swallows, 1 Jay and two Kingfishers.

As well as the Sabine's, sea-watching produced: 10 Little Gulls, 9 Kittiwakes, 15 Brent Geese, 15 auk sp, 4 Razorbill, 2 Guillemots, 2 Great Skuas, 28 Gannets, 1 Fulmar, 7 Red-throated Divers.

pics of Barred Warbler and Pied Flycatcher attached. Trip report of the day and pic of Redstart in the hand on my website.

cheers,

Attachments

• Barred Warbler.jpg
    Barred Warbler.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Barred Warbler2.jpg
    Barred Warbler2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Pied Flycatcher.jpg
    Pied Flycatcher.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
SueBryan

I am confused and thats not hard to do but why
have you got the bird in your hand is it not well

I don't think it's Sue's hand.The bird was trapped and ringed this morning and released a bit later in the morning thus allowing people time to get down and see it.

Started at Cley for the Grey Phalarope and then to the beach where the waves were lapping over the sea bank at high tide in a few places and watched the Sabines Gull on the flooded area behind the bank. A quick dash to Weybourne for my second RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL in Norfolk! WOW! I took a few photos. (See attached) After release it flew up high and flew south. Back to Wells woods for a Pied Flycatcher (but missed the Red-breasted Flycatcher and Yellow-browed Warbler). Raced back to Cley for the Grey Phalarope had multiplied itself into 3 Grey Phalaropes and had been joined by a Red-necked Phalarope!
After a chat with Ruralchill I headed home only to be deflected at Holkham and down Lady Ann's drive for the Wryneck!
What a day! Brilliant!

Absolutely superb.:t:

I knew i should have had 2 weeks in Norfolk instead of just last week........looking at todays lists and assuming i could have seen everything i could have added 15 lifers in one day.

Anybody know where i can get an Electronics Quality Control Supervisor's job
in Kings Lynn so i can move up asap.:-O:-O

Had a bit of a trawl around Happisburgh today, dog in tow, and turned up a few bits and bobs. Goldcrests were 'well in'; I must've had about 50 all tolled. Small numbers of Redwing were apparent and Blackbirds and Song Thrushes had also obviously been arriving. Bramblings were noted too, less than 10 birds though. 3+ Chiffchaff, 1 Spotted Fly, 2 Common Redstart (one of which was a garden list addition), 5+ Wheatear, scores of Robins and 25 Swallows. Best find was a Great Grey Shrike at the top of my lane; probably a new arrival but perhaps the one reported from the village a couple of days ago. 60+ Pinkfeet flew NW from the broadland direction as I approached home and a flit in the hedge opposite as I reached home was the 2nd Redstart. An enjoyable walk...

James

EDIT:Ring Ouzel seen in the village early afternoon by a birding friend.

Last edited:
What a day! Brilliant!

Wow what a day! Everything there is a lifer except Pied Fly and YB Warbler! I'll just have to keep on dreaming :-C

Drove up from Herts to enjoy a yomp along Blakeney Point today. Redwings everywhere, some very tired and unfortunately about 6 dead along the tideline. Male Ring Ousel, several Song Thrush and a few Fieldfare too. Goldcrests about 150, warblers just Lesser Whitethroat and Blackcap. Redstart in the Plantation. Flushed a Woodcock. Snow Bunting over. GGS reported first thing but moved off so I made time to get to Warham where I dipped that one too... No matter, just terrific witnessing the migration on the Point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back