• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (2 Viewers)

Let's catch up

Hello all,

In the last couple of days, I have spotted flycatchers. The only one that was identifiable was an olive sided flycatcher. I also had a glimpse of a yellow throated vireo.

Yesterday, I did see a Wilson's warbler. Today, I saw blackpoll warbler. Yesterday, I had glimpses of Tennessee and bay breasted warblers.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Olive sided flycatcher.jpg
    Olive sided flycatcher.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Vireo, yellow throated.jpg
    Vireo, yellow throated.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Wilson's warbler.jpg
    Wilson's warbler.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 161
  • Blackpoll.jpg
    Blackpoll.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 155
  • Bay breasted.jpg
    Bay breasted.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 153
Not much

Hello all,

New York has had several days of rain which kept me inside. I also had a visit with a new dentist. I generally give dentists an alert that I have a dislocable jaw which only dislocates during dental work. If I open too wide it locks open. I think it upsets dentists more than it upsets me.

The only new warblers I have seen have been Canada and Blackburnian warblers[b/]. However, I am fairly confident to write that I have seen alder flycatchers but they could have been willow flycatchers. I also saw an eastern wood pewee and a wood thrush.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Canada warbler.jpg
    Canada warbler.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 165
  • blackburnian warblers.jpg
    blackburnian warblers.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 155
  • alder flycatcher.jpg
    alder flycatcher.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Eastern Wood pewee.jpg
    Eastern Wood pewee.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 183
  • wood thrush.jpg
    wood thrush.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 165
A couple of visitors

Hello,

About two weeks ago, Birding Bob pointed to a a bird flying away. It was a mourning warbler and that marks the finale of the spring migration season. A few days later, I saw a horned grebe on the Reservoir. Then nothing of note until yesterday when I saw a male wood duck on Turtle Pond.

It is summer, so new sightings are uncommon.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Warbler, mourning.jpg
    Warbler, mourning.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 167
  • horned grebe.jpg
    horned grebe.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 165
  • Wood duck.jpg
    Wood duck.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 161
Not much new

Hello,

We have arrived at the summer doldrums. I did see a red bellied working on a nest hole. Unfortunately, too often these nests are seized by one of our resident alien terrorist species: the starling. I have seen northern flickers which have been known to nest in Central Park.

On Sunday, in the trees at the south end of the Reservoir, I saw a few cedar waxwings. As they are a gregarious species, there may have been more in the leaves.
Today, awhite breasted nuthatch landed in front of me. In Central Park,hey are plentiful in the winter but in the summer they seem to flee to the countryside.

Most Americans regard Canada geese as a nuisance. The Park Conservancy had hired a firm, the Geese Police, whose motto is, "Get the flock out!" It may have been failure in controlling their numbers. Of late, I have seen some goslings which seem to please some.

The Canada geese were photographed with an iPhone; other images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 171
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 158
  • nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Canada goslingsJPG.jpg
    Canada goslingsJPG.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 183
33ºc

Hello,

I have seen nothing new but a few birds have turned up which are not too frequent on my walks. Once again a male wood duck was on Turtle pond. At the same time a rough winged swallow filtered by. Only a couple of minutes before barn swallows were nearby over the Great Lawn. A trip to the Reservoir showed a familiar scene, a mallard with her ducklings.

The ducklings were photographed with an iPod, the other images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• rough winged swallows.jpg
    rough winged swallows.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Barn swallows.jpg
    Barn swallows.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Wood duck.jpg
    Wood duck.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 174
  • ducklings.jpg
    ducklings.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 154
A flycatcher

Hello,

Warblers have been seen in Central Park, In fact, I have seen two but I am rather uncertain which ones. Probably a yellow warbler in autumnal colours and something else which flew past me. However, I did catch a glimpse of a crested flycatcher. That male wood duck is still on Turtle Pond, where I managed to photograph him with my iPod Touch. Summer is not the best season to show its colours but it is strikingly different from the usual mallards.

Otherwise, I get nice healthy walks, even I do not see anything new. The migration season is just starting up, so my weeklong absence to attend a family event will be of little consequence.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Flycatcher, great crested.jpg
    Flycatcher, great crested.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 176
warblers!

Hello,

In the last two weeks, I have seen what must be the early part of the autumnal migration. Last week, I was an ovenbird and a black and white warbler and male and female American redstarts. Yesterday, a blue gray gnatcatcher turned up at Strawberry Fields. Today, I got to see a northern waterthrush and a hermit thrush. There are still kingbirds and Baltimore orioles around. Others have been seeing more warblers than I.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 162
  • black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 159
  • American Redstarts.jpg
    American Redstarts.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 172
  • gnatcatchers.jpg
    gnatcatchers.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 189
  • northern waterthrush.jpg
    northern waterthrush.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 152
I had an Ovenbird in my yard 2 weeks ago and I also thought early migration so maybe it made it up to your way in the two weeks ;)

Hello KC,

I would think you saw an early ovenbird heading south.

Yesterday, I saw a warbling vireo, aCanada and blue winged warblers, and yellow bellied flycatcher. Today, I saw wood thrush.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• warbling vireo.jpg
    warbling vireo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Canada warbler.jpg
    Canada warbler.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 159
  • blue winged.jpg
    blue winged.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 146
  • yellow bellied flycacher.jpg
    yellow bellied flycacher.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 169
  • wood thrush.jpg
    wood thrush.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 156
Hello,

Others have been seeing dozens of warbler species in Central Park, but I must be going at the wrong time of the day.

However, last week i did see an Eastern wood pewee and yesterday I had a glimpse at what must have been an brown treecreeper.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Eastern wood pe(e)wee.jpg
    Eastern wood pe(e)wee.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 180
  • Brown creeper.jpg
    Brown creeper.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 155
Something new

Hello,

I have been distracted from bird bird watching by rain, dental appointment, and social obligations. I am still seeing black and white warblers. I had thought that there was a shortage of black crowned night herons but they may be like the one I saw on the south shore of Turtle Pond, hiding under overhanging branches.

Last week, I saw a northern parula, a red eyed vireo and a chestnut sided warbler. Yesterday, a ruby throated hummingbird, while today I spotted aSwainson's thrush[/].

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Northern Parula.jpg
    Northern Parula.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Red eyed vireo.jpg
    Red eyed vireo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Hummingbird, ruby throated II.jpg
    Hummingbird, ruby throated II.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Swainson's thrush.jpg
    Swainson's thrush.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 171
Is it autumn when the temperature is 30ºC?

Hello,

There are still warblers about: common yellowthroats, black and whites, and yellow warblers. Yesterday, when it was as warm as 30ºC, I saw a Carolina wren, as well as my first white throated sparrowand brown thrasher of the season . Last week I saw a ruby crowned kinglet and a great blue heron landing at Turtle Pond. The great blue is no stranger to Central Park but I had not seen one for quite a while. Today, I saw a phoebe in autumnal plumage.

The great blue was photographed with an iPod; other images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• White throated sparrow.jpg
    White throated sparrow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 173
  • brown thrasher.jpg
    brown thrasher.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 169
  • Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg
    Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Great blue.jpg
    Great blue.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 188
  • phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 151
An autumnal 11ºC, this morning

Hello,

On Wednesday, I got to see my first yellow bellied sapsucker of the year, a black throated green and an ovenbird. Earlier in the week I saw a Cooper hawk, but on Thursday I was an osprey, formerly known as a fish hawk, at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. I hope to go there next month, in beard of waterfowl.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• yellow bellied sapsucker.jpg
    yellow bellied sapsucker.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Black throated green.jpg
    Black throated green.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 176
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 135
  • cooper hawk.jpg
    cooper hawk.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 178
  • osprey.jpg
    osprey.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 140
Almost Autumnal

Hello all,

I have been out and about in mornings with temperatures as low as 12ºC. In the last few days, I have seen a couple of new birds. Today, I saw Nashville and black throated blue warblers as well as a glimpse at a northern flicker. Sunday, I saw a swamp sparrow, a and a hairy woodpecker.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Nashville warbler.jpg
    Nashville warbler.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Black throated blue wing.jpg
    Black throated blue wing.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 141
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Swamp sparrow.jpg
    Swamp sparrow.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 143
  • hairy woodpeckers.jpg
    hairy woodpeckers.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 158
A truly autumnal day

Hello,

Sunday's and today's walks brought some new birds. On Sunday, I saw my first white breasted nuthatches and Eastern towhee or rufous sided towhee. Today, I saw several song sparrows and downy woodpeckers.

The autumnal colouring of our trees has barely begun. One of the first trees to have autumnal colors is the sugar maple.

Paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. The sugar maple was photographed with an iPod Touch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 202
  • towhee, etc.jpg
    towhee, etc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 182
  • Sugar Maple.JPG
    Sugar Maple.JPG
    458.4 KB · Views: 148
Sounds as though you had a good two days Arthur!

Had my first B&W Warbler this weekend.

Hello KC,

I did not mention that I am still seeing phoebes, kinglets, hermit thrushes and yellow bellied sapsuckers.

Our B&W warblers seem to have fled south.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

An old coot sees more coots

Hello all,

Thursday, after a long interval, I saw an American coot, on the Reservoir, along with dozens of ruddy ducks, my first for the season. Earlier that day, I saw a red eyed vireo at the Maintenance Meadow.
Today, I saw the coot and few ruddy ducks on the Reservoir. Today's errands took me a further kilometer north, or Upstate, as I like to write. to the Pool, where I saw gadwalls, among the mallards. Changing season means some overlap of bird sightings.
Then I was off on an errand to find a part for my kitchen faucet. I ended up walking more than 8 km, in one morning, which I had not done for quite a while. After fixing the faucet, I took a good nap.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• coots.jpg
    coots.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Red eyed vireo.jpg
    Red eyed vireo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 151