• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

Goldeneye

Goldeneye Bucephala clangula

First observed at Upton Warren on the 17th November 1946 (A.J. Martin) when a pair was present, Goldeneye is a northern breeder from Scandinavia and Scotland that winters further south in Britain. The species regularly winters at Westwood Pool near Droitwich and at Bartley Reservoir but is relatively scarce on the reserve with a few brief records each year, virtually always on the Moors Pool.

An average year nowadays currently comprise two records, as opposed to four or five records back in the 1990s. 2003 was the most productive year of recent times with several multiple records, including a peak count of three females on the Moors Pool on the 22nd October. However as the first chart below illustrates, the species is now notably scarcer than in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The maximum count for the reserve is nine birds seen on the 12th November 1983; other sizeable counts include five birds (a male and four females) on 1st January 1984 and four female / immature birds on various dates in November 1993.

The majority of records coming from the first half of the winter, with an obvious peak in November, as illustrated in the third chart. The only record outside the main period of occurrence relates to a female seen at the Flashes on the 26th May 1996. Despite breeding far to the north, a male Goldeneye was seen displaying to a female at the Moors Pool on the 5th March 1988.

The vast majority of records relate to birds staying for just the day, as amply demonstrated in the fourth chart (John - is this the graphic you were hoping to see?). However there have been several records of birds remaining consistently on the Moors Pool for well over a week. These include an immature male present from the 23rd November to the 31st December 1994, a female seen between the 1st January 1990 and an unknown date in February 1990, a female between the 31st October and 22nd November 1987, and most recently a female present on and off at the Moors Pool between the 24th November and 29th December 2013.

Attachments

• Goldeneye records.jpg
    Goldeneye records.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Goldeneye peak.jpg
    Goldeneye peak.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Goldeneye half monthly.jpg
    Goldeneye half monthly.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Goldeneye stay.jpg
    Goldeneye stay.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Goldeneye Bucephala clangula

First observed at Upton Warren on the 17th November 1946 (A.J. Martin) when a pair was present, Goldeneye is a northern breeder from Scandinavia and Scotland that winters further south in Britain. The species regularly winters at Westwood Pool near Droitwich and at Bartley Reservoir but is relatively scarce on the reserve with a few brief records each year, virtually always on the Moors Pool.

An average year nowadays currently comprise two records, as opposed to four or five records back in the 1990s. 2003 was the most productive year of recent times with several multiple records, including a peak count of three females on the Moors Pool on the 22nd October. However as the first chart below illustrates, the species is now notably scarcer than in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The maximum count for the reserve is nine birds seen on the 12th November 1983; other sizeable counts include five birds (a male and four females) on 1st January 1984 and four female / immature birds on various dates in November 1993.

The majority of records coming from the first half of the winter, with an obvious peak in November, as illustrated in the third chart. The only record outside the main period of occurrence relates to a female seen at the Flashes on the 26th May 1996. Despite breeding far to the north, a male Goldeneye was seen displaying to a female at the Moors Pool on the 5th March 1988.

The vast majority of records relate to birds staying for just the day, as amply demonstrated in the fourth chart (John - is this the graphic you were hoping to see?). However there have been several records of birds remaining consistently on the Moors Pool for well over a week. These include an immature male present from the 23rd November to the 31st December 1994, a female seen between the 1st January 1990 and an unknown date in February 1990, a female between the 31st October and 22nd November 1987, and most recently a female present on and off at the Moors Pool between the 24th November and 29th December 2013.
Yes Phil the 4th chart is roughly what I expected. Although surprised at the number of long stayers. I have seen at least one on Flashes but wouldn't expect any these days.:t:

Dunlin and Redshank at the Flashes as per Gert; also 300 Lapwing, 100 Teal and 46 Moorhen. Goldeneye has relocated to Westwood Pool as per Wayne D.

Work party Tuesday

Due to weather conditions predicted for Tomorrow we have called OFF the Work Party. I will however be birding all day from 8.30 am.
The following Tuesday weather permitting we will be returning to the FLASHES. Where we will be finishing off the desilting and cutting a swathe in the sedge on the south side of the temporary fox fence.
B :) John

Presumably the same drake Goldeneye as was present last week Andy?

One is inclined to presume so Phil. Interestingly the bird was feeding in a completely different area of the pool from that which it was favouring last week. I had been there for some time before I found it, happening upon it while counting the Pochard in the murky gloom.

I notice that there was no report on Worcester Birding of a Goldeneye at Westwood today, which would strengthen the case for it being the same bird. But then again, given the horrible weather conditions, did Wayne or anyone else visit Westwood today? I was alone at the Flashes for the first hour and a half this morning, until Phil Wood came along, and when I arrived at the Moors Pool after 10 o'clock there was no one there. In fact the only other person I saw whilst at the Moors was a chap, who is a regular but whose name I don't know, who I encountered whilst walking back down the East track just before midday.

One is inclined to presume so Phil. Interestingly the bird was feeding in a completely different area of the pool from that which it was favouring last week. I had been there for some time before I found it, happening upon it while counting the Pochard in the murky gloom.

I notice that there was no report on Worcester Birding of a Goldeneye at Westwood today, which would strengthen the case for it being the same bird. But then again, given the horrible weather conditions, did Wayne or anyone else visit Westwood today? I was alone at the Flashes for the first hour and a half this morning, until Phil Wood came along, and when I arrived at the Moors Pool after 10 o'clock there was no one there. In fact the only other person I saw whilst at the Moors was a chap, who is a regular but whose name I don't know, who I encountered whilst walking back down the East track just before midday.

HARDCORE PROPER BIRDERS:t:8-P

Flashes Tomorrow

Tomorrow between 10 am and 3pm there will be disturbance at the Flashes. ..This is to retrieve data loggers and plan out a grazing stockade.

MOORS this Morning

The heavy rain yesterday had increased the water level by about 35cm. This meant that most of the scrape was flooded. Our work on the Pool island has paid dividends, the two new 'spits' were proud of the water as were the western extension and pool embankments. The seasonal pool was full and 250 ducks dabbled in it. When the cattle grazed the promontory they flushed most of the snipe. During my usual count of the waterfowl I picked up a drake Mandarin in the reeds at the north end of the pool. Again the secret garden and the adjacent scrub held most of the passerines with 5 species of thrush bagged in the 5 minutes after I arrived.

SPECIES COUNT MOORS:
Little Grebe 2, GCG, Little egret, grey heron 3, cormorant 41, mute swan 8, Teal 82, Mallard 165, Mandarin male, shoveler 17, Wigeon male, gadwall fem, Tufted 21, pochard 11 (8 male), Coot 95, water rail 2 calling, snipe 21, lapwing 3, curlew 12, BHG 110,
Great Sp woodp, Green Woodp, kingfisher, stock dove,
Fieldfare 30, redwing 85, mistle thrush, song thrush 3,
grey wag, pied wag 2, goldcrest, cetti's w 2,

pics
1. Flooded Seasonal pool full of ducks
2. Pool island,
3. Pool island close up showing new 'spits' and pool banks

Attachments

• 1. Amy's Seasonal pool flooded 22nd Nov 16 DSCF7564.jpg
    1. Amy's Seasonal pool flooded 22nd Nov 16 DSCF7564.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 2. Pool Island flooding Nov 16 DSCF7568.jpg
    2. Pool Island flooding Nov 16 DSCF7568.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 3. pool Is close up after flooding 22 Nov 16 DSCF7569.jpg
    3. pool Is close up after flooding 22 Nov 16 DSCF7569.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
The Flashes this afternoon

The Hen Brook was about 2 feet (60cm) higher than normal but surprisingly the Flashes had only risen by 15cm. This means that the new sluice will hold back some of the floods that would have previously back-flowed into the Flashes. The water-logged Meadow was alive with feeding dabblers and lapwing.
The lapwing flock was the largest of the autumn and good numbers of teal, snipe and others made for a pleasant evenings birding for the time of the year.

Species Count FLASHES:
Teal 155, Wigeon 2, shoveler 3, mallard 30, greylag 45, canada's 110, mute swan overhead, coot 3, moorhen 35,
Snipe c25, Lapwing 447, green sand 2 came into roost, curlew 14,
ROOSTING - BHG 65, herring gull 9 x 1st winter, LBBG
buzzard, sparrowhawk,
stock dove 10,
Fieldfare 40, redwing 50, starling 30,
cetti's w singing.

SAILING POOL:
GCG 6, Little grebe 5, tufted 6, coot 22.

pics
1. the flooded Flashes today
2. the meadow full of birds feeding in the wet areas

Attachments

• The Flashes at 0.48 DSCF7579.jpg
    The Flashes at 0.48 DSCF7579.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 77
  • Meadow after floods full of teal 22Nov 16 DSCF7588.jpg
    Meadow after floods full of teal 22Nov 16 DSCF7588.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Cold and damp at the moors with water level very high. No sign of male Goldeneye or male Mandarin (that's 3 times this year I've dipped on this species)...so just had to sit it out...highlights were

Cetti's (3 heard)
Coot (c70
Cormorant (29)
Green Woodpecker (1)
Jack Snipe (1 showing and 'bobbing' well)
Snipe (6-8 visible...but cattle ventured out onto islands and an estimated 35-40 were flushed!)
Kingfisher (1)
Jay (1)
Lapwing (c200...presumably from flashes)
Pochard (11-13...8m)
Teal (c70)
Tufted Duck (c20)
Water Rail (2)
Little Egret (1)
Wigeon (1m)

...left at 11:30 for lunch...then a female Goldeneye was reported...so returned for that

Cold and damp at the moors with water level very high. No sign of male Goldeneye or male Mandarin (that's 3 times this year I've dipped on this species)...so just had to sit it out...highlights were

Cetti's (3 heard)
Coot (c70
Cormorant (29)
Green Woodpecker (1)
Jack Snipe (1 showing and 'bobbing' well)
Snipe (6-8 visible...but cattle ventured out onto islands and an estimated 35-40 were flushed!)
Kingfisher (1)
Jay (1)
Lapwing (c200...presumably from flashes)
Pochard (11-13...8m)
Teal (c70)
Tufted Duck (c20)
Water Rail (2)
Little Egret (1)
Wigeon (1m)

...left at 11:30 for lunch...then a female Goldeneye was reported...so returned for that

Drake Mandarin on Mill Shrub,Lower Bittell today.:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back