• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Don't melt your camera in the sun (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Never forget the power of the sun.
From a digiscoper's point of view you have to remember that even a short burst of direct sunlight through your scope and onto your camera can cause serious damage.
If you're anything like me, you can end up carrying your scope around with the camera still attached.... so watch where your scope is pointing, carrying it facing downwards is the safest route.

Another factor that can be overlooked is when you have an Extend-a-view attached to the camera's monitor... this magnifies both ways and direct sunlight on the extend-a-view is bad news.
Andy

Thanks for the tip... definitely somthing to keep in mind with summer finally on the way. And I know it is 'cause it's pouring rain right now!

Thanks for that info Andy, I would like to add my experience last year while out on location on a sunny morning. My 995 was exposed to direct sun for a few minutes which effected two of my images to be fogged up with over heating so this is a point worth thinking about. Andy, while I have you...is it ok to delete memory card contents in PS or should I delete using the camera delete box ?.

Roy.

Hi Roy,
I usually delete my cf card images in Photoshop.... but make sure you delete the info.txt file as well as the pics, as after time it will get quite large and eat into your cards memory capacity. I just do a card format every so often, that clears everything.
Regards,
Andy

I asked before, must have been overlooked. I wanted to know if it ruins the cameras mechanisms such as sensors and so on?

I might add a little note about keeping your camera in a hot car also. A friend of mine did this when he went to a meeting. The camera had only been in the car for a little more than an hour but it was fried. Now you all probably don't get the extreme heat we get here but I don't even leave mine in the trunk during the daytime.

Hi Andrew in answer to your question about heat build up,it`s the CCD on your camera you have to worry about.Basically prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can fry the CCD.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back