• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

truly waterproof walking boots? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

older goretex may break. But on wet grass, water goes from the top. No boots will protect you without waterproof trousers.

jurek said:
Hi,

older goretex may break. But on wet grass, water goes from the top. No boots will protect you without waterproof trousers.

You beat me to it Jurek...

I've just decided now that if I'm walking through/over wet vegetation without waterproof trousers I may aswell wear a comfortable pair of regular, quick drying, trainers. This system has worked out best for me for the past 18 months.

Until the impossible is achieved, blocking up the top of your boots I don't believe waterproof boots exist...

James Eaton said:
Until the impossible is achieved, blocking up the top of your boots I don't believe waterproof boots exist...

Overtopping is user error, not the boots' fault. When I generously Sno-Seal my leather (non-goretex) boots I can stand in an appropriately deep stream nice and dry.

Berghaus boots and Yeti gaiters have seen me through Dartmoor,the Black mountains,Llangattock plateau and Snowdonia in winter without ever getting wet feet.

matt green said:
last night i decided to go for a moonlit walk across my local patch hoping to see the barn owl,i never saw it but walking home through the wet grass my feet got soaked.

It sounds like the Gore-Tex could be split, Stick your hand down where your big toe would be the toe can sometimes rub through.
I wouldn't recomend baby oil on them it will probably block the breathability
which will give you wet feet! try a wax or spray.

Ankle gaiter's are a good idea for walking in wet grass, a full gaiter will give more protection though.

Price wise on new boots I would look to spend about £80-100.
A lined fabric boot should be just as waterproof as a lined leather one, they should both be 100% waterproof. I use fabric boots because they take no breaking in and also breath better, on the down side the uppers are not quite as durable as leather.The Brasher Hillmaster or Scarpa Ranger are good lightweight leather boots or the Scarpa ZG65 a good fabric one.

Jamjam.

I'll go along with Trealaw Boy, we know all about keeping dry in our part of the world.
Get a GOOD pair of wellies, not a cheap crap pair. You get what you pay for in the foot department, I have leather/neopreen lined ones and use them all the time in the well mountains of Wales. I think they are about £140 ish?

PS;
Baby oil lololololololololololololol

whatever possest you to use that on boots, some people will never learn lolololololol

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back