• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (4 Viewers)

I swithered about getting The Birds of Scotland but eventually did and I am so glad I splashed out on the book. Its the sort of tome that you go back to again and again. I believe that they are running out of stock so if anyone is thinking of going for it then dont put it off or you may miss your chance.

Hi Guys , Thanks for all the recommendations...it appears that "Birds of Scotland" is an essential purchase ! Question is...who is a deserving recipient of my £75 ?

Does anyone have any updates on the Inverness otters? I hope to be in the area on Monday and desperately want them still to be there and showing like that!

Also want to look for dolphins in the Moray Firth. I've seen them before under the Kessock Bridge and I hear Chanonry Point is good. My question is whether the area is tidal (if so I presume you need to be there for high tide) and where the best (closest) views tend to be.

(Oh and finally it seems a tough call deciding between Cairn Gorm and Carn Ban More for ptarmigan. Can anyone comment from recent experience or what the conditions are like currently?)

thanks!
James

just returning from 4 days on islay surveying offshore. Good birds seen all over with plenty of great northern and black throated divers about. A golden eagle over the oa yesterday was nice as were 200 greenland white fronts. Nothing unusual on the survey front but calm conditions led to some nice porpoise sightings today. Plenty of black guillemots off kintyre. Had a chough over port ellen and a couple of merganser in the harbour. On the steam down from oban had a distant sea eagle as we left oban toward mull. 2 golden eagle were over the peaks of jura circling and ravens were seen in several locations. Buzzards as usual have been everywhere.

Dolphins !

Hi James , Regarding the dolphins...I've answered your query already if you go back to page 5 of this part of the forum .

Does anyone have any updates on the Inverness otters? I hope to be in the area on Monday and desperately want them still to be there and showing like that!

Also want to look for dolphins in the Moray Firth. I've seen them before under the Kessock Bridge and I hear Chanonry Point is good. My question is whether the area is tidal (if so I presume you need to be there for high tide) and where the best (closest) views tend to be.

(Oh and finally it seems a tough call deciding between Cairn Gorm and Carn Ban More for ptarmigan. Can anyone comment from recent experience or what the conditions are like currently?)

thanks!
James

thanks!
James

The Otters have not been seen for two weeks. I have been several times and so have others.

Head to Chanonry for the Dolphins. I find the two hours either side of tides better, but everyone I speak to tells me something different :-O

The mountains are way off for me at the minute. There are avalanche risks. I would probably try the Lecht or maybe speak to the boys in the center at Cairngorm. You can read the blog here http://blog.cairngormmountain.co.uk/

Cheers :t:

The Otters have not been seen for two weeks. I have been several times and so have others.

Head to Chanonry for the Dolphins. I find the two hours either side of tides better, but everyone I speak to tells me something different :-O

The mountains are way off for me at the minute. There are avalanche risks. I would probably try the Lecht or maybe speak to the boys in the center at Cairngorm. You can read the blog here http://blog.cairngormmountain.co.uk/

Cheers :t:

Thanks Marcus and Colg - sorry, I don't know how I missed your reply but it's informative and should be useful.

Disappointed the otters seem to have moved on. I'm setting off tomorrow for the Ardnamurchan and then stopping at Inverness for a night before heading down to Speyside. Sounds like Cairn Gorm is off but the car park I guess might be a worth a visit!

Guess I'll be doing the traditional sites but if anyone has anything particularly useful/ current a pm would be much appreciated (eg which black grouse leks are the best to visit or if any BT divers have claimed territory on any lochs yet). I'll understand if it's too sensitive though. I've given up on finding a B&B with a pine marten visiting the bird table - a few around but no 'regulars' on Speyside that I know of.

Anyhow - should be a good trip! B :)

Amazon doesn't have it in stock, but this does:

http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?tefno=153371

Hi , Following your advice I bought "Birds of Scotland" from the website you suggested. It arrived today and, looking at it , looks to be money well spent ! Another arrival today was Gordon Hamlett's "Best Birdwatching Sites In The Scottish Highlands" so I hope the wife isn't expecting any help around the house for the next week or so !

Hi Marcus , Sitting here in the sunny climes of Southport it's difficult to comprehend that snow is still causing a problem anywhere. Are many of the roads still impassable ?

They're all open now. Deep snow still lying on any ground over about 2000ft though. Mountains are still for the experienced winter walker only.

Whiteout blizzard for 48 hours now and still going, at least two foot level depth, main roads in and out of Strathspey barely passable. Did someone mention spring! If anyone is thinking of looking for Ptarmigan I doubt if you will even get up the ski road for another week after this, the place must be just totally buried!!!

Last edited:
A sad sign of the past 48 hours weather was the body of a Meadow Pipit I found lying in the middle of my snow covered lawn looking as if it had just literally just dropped from the sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back