• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (6 Viewers)

70. Red Crossbill Fantastic! First spotted on local patch back in June, this is the first time I've seen them in Canada, and the cone crop is great this year so I'm hoping I may be able to add white-winged this year too.

71 Magnolia Warbler
72 Black-throated Blue Warbler Fairly confident I had this earlier in the ear, but failed to note it down, so in it goes now.

70. Red Crossbill Fantastic! First spotted on local patch back in June, this is the first time I've seen them in Canada, and the cone crop is great this year so I'm hoping I may be able to add white-winged this year too.

71 Magnolia Warbler
72 Black-throated Blue Warbler Fairly confident I had this earlier in the ear, but failed to note it down, so in it goes now.

Getting too close for comfort JP.......g-r-r-r-r! ;)

Won't be long - they was a rarity when I arrived in Lithuania, now a commonplace bird, breeding in several localities.

Still always a good bird to get on the garden list though - I think we have a slightly exclusive club :t:

Yes, indeed. o:)

I bet GWE's (at least try to) nesting in Finland within the next five years.
Grey Herons was quite rare sight here at Eighties, but now there is about 1000 pairs nesting.

Meanwhile in my garden:

#53. Marsh Harrier - over flying.

Getting too close for comfort JP.......g-r-r-r-r! ;)

Rest assured that newbies in November and December are very sparse around these parts - in fact birds are few and far between at all! I'll be bonding with my local regulars who stand by me through the winter chill!

And back in the UK, a surprise

59) Wheatear

today. Miserable rain this morning, went outside to do some more digging, only to flush a Wheatear of the 4m by 4m patch of freshly dug soil! 2nd patch record.

73 Least Flycatcher Apparently this is a new one for my all-time garden list too, glad I have a record as I would have assumed I'd already had it!

Number 25 Redstart

Female redstart about in my garden the last half hour , seen friday too but this time much closer on grass and on empty feeder pole . I dont put food in the feeders until mid october as a lot of nature stuff for the birds to eat in my garden with the grass hedges bushes trees lots berries and apples! Lots bees lizards snails worms etc.
There is a field beyond my hedge and nearby lots maize fields.

Last edited:
Got the feeding station going again a few days back in readiness for the winter ...and, amidst Nuthatches, Marsh Tits et al, a most wonderful Red-breasted Flycatcher all day today. Naturally not actually using the feeders, but sitting atop stumps and even the bird table to make little sorties here and there.

Almost an annual bird on my land, breeding some years, but never bore of this one.

114. Red-breasted Flycatcher

74 Tennessee Warbler with thanks to KenM for the help over in the ID threads. Some difficulty with this one yesterday, and then a very distinct adult male turned up today to confirm the addition.

35. Great Egret

My neighbor has seen this 'crane' a few times. I went out to go to the grocery store and it was in the front yard! Had time to run in and get my camera. He was checking out my neighbor's shrubbery. Wonder what he finds so attractive here.

Attachments

• DSC00782.JPG
    DSC00782.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 63
Not been putting time in at home the last days and there are birds about...I can feel it in my bones.

73. Pied Flycatcher - one bird on 12th Sept
74. Yellow Wagtail - one over at dawn today.

Not been putting time in at home the last days and there are birds about...I can feel it in my bones.

All I'm feeling in my bones is my increasing age after 2 consecutive days' lifting potatoes! So, recovery time lazing indoors watching through the windows as the rain falls outside and voilà - first addition since 10th August, flitting about the neighbours' pine tree:

79 Goldcrest

I'm clearly not going to approach the 'nervous nineties' for the year's list as I did at our old place but there's still time for a few surprises (I hope).

#55. Common Crossbill - for the very first time I saw these little fellows in my garden trees last weekend. I was too slowly then and I didn't get any pics, but yeasterday I saw couple Crossbills again and this time I just manage to get my camera. The best result is below. I think it's a Common, but I´m not 100% sure. For that angle, maybe nobody can't be... or what you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5272b.jpg
    IMG_5272b.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back