• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird hides (1 Viewer)

LensNV

Hi, I was thinking of buying a single seat bird hide to try and get closer to the bird subjects. It just dawned on me whether there was any etiquette in using these and whether it's ok to use one near the local lake for instance. I really have no idea and wouldn't want to upset anyone. If there is any advice you can give then that would be great.

Thanks

Simon

Interesting question.
I'm sure that if I noticed you and what you were doing, I'd be envious of your better chances of getting the shots I miss. OTOH if I was a young parent walking a child I might have very different thoughts - particularly if I had experience of the photo policies at schools. I'm not sure what to suggest - you're being there in your secluded position first is no guarantee that you won't be hassled.

If you can find a private reserve or one requiring membership, I'd imagine that would be better, particularly if you take the precaution of letting the "management" know what you intend to do.

(Am I being too paranoid?)

If it is on private land you should always ask permission first if it is ok to do so, it'd not be a good idea to merely let them know them you're putting up a hide. You will always attract attention from lay people asking what you are doing which can undermine the whole point of you being in a hide so you need to find quiet spots where you are not likely to be disturbed. It's a lot harder than you think finding ideal places where you can get a hide up but if you do the proper preparations and it all comes together the rewards make it all worthwhile.

Hi, I was thinking of buying a single seat bird hide to try and get closer to the bird subjects. It just dawned on me whether there was any etiquette in using these and whether it's ok to use one near the local lake for instance. I really have no idea and wouldn't want to upset anyone. If there is any advice you can give then that would be great.

Thanks

Simon

Simon, Have you thought of using a bag hide. Easy to carry and not as obvious if you tuck yourself into a corner somewhere.

Hello Simon, i recently bought the ameristep doghouse hide , it`s a pop up hide with enough space for two people and all the gear you could want and around £90.00 i think quite reasonable.
The one`s with a seat was also an option until it was pointed out to me the chair in part of the hide and if you move so does it.
With regards to setting up any where i recently bought a walk about permit for Cemex angling lakes and spoke to the head bailiff and he was more than happy for me to set it up, i did point out if for any reason i was in one of the fishing swims i`d move if any angler turned up ,hope this helps Harvey

I like this one.....Kwik Camo™.........easy to carry round, adaptable etc, can use it as a cushion.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-kwik-camo-photography-blind-realtree-max4/p1522624

Alluding to Jaff's point about asking permission, I do a lot of biding here in Paris, Ontario on a farm that has a Grand River trail running through it. It owned by a couple of farmers who are smashing people and are quite happy to let me wander off trail.
However, when I set up my hide and they see me early in the morning, which they often do, in unison they bellow at me " Roobbiinn, we can seee youuu !!"
It's too funny.....
Robin

I've just bought one on Ebay for £59.95 delivered and it appears to be great value for money, search for "pop up hide" and you'll find them. Ordered it on Wednesday night and it arrived around lunchtime today. It's easily big enough for one and I would think, two people, plus gear and it goes up in seconds. The windows have a good zip arrangement to give you plenty of flexibility and it is possible to stand up in it to stretch if you get stiff. best of all it only weighs just over 4 kilos. There are also other options available, I'll leave a review in due course once I've tried it out a few times in the field rather than in my hall.

I do a lot of biding here in Paris, Ontario on a farm that has a Grand River trail running through it. It owned by a couple of farmers who are quite happy to let me wander off trail.
However, when I set up my hide and they see me early in the morning, which they often do, in unison they bellow at me " Roobbiinn, we can seee youuu !!"
Robin

If you see them with a guitar & fiddle them I suggest you run.....run very fast!

i have had two seater hide..one seat hide & bag hide..dont use any too much hassle..what i now use is rucksack with built in seat & throw over sniper netting that you wear like a cape

ive got a fishing tent , pop up and hang a cam net on it looks good , now need to find a farmer in area to hide up in to see whats about, may even try and leave in place if i find a good spot.

It arrived yesterday & I tried it out in the garden this afternoon.

I'm 6 foot tall & I found it comfortable & very handy having that spare seat as a table.

Managed to catch a couple of the first Tree Sparrow I've seen in my garden, so a good result for me.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.tele.hide3.jpg
    P.150.tele.hide3.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 120
  • P.150.tele.hide8.jpg
    P.150.tele.hide8.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 141
  • P.150.tele.hide2.jpg
    P.150.tele.hide2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 99
Simon, Have you thought of using a bag hide. Easy to carry and not as obvious if you tuck yourself into a corner somewhere.

I've also found that with care you can shamble about in the bag hide without alarming the subjects. They seem to be unperturbed by ambulatory bushes whereas a human at that range would see them off.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back