• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (1 Viewer)

GIRL PAMELA (PZ26).jpg

Hoping the Moderators dont delete me.......but as promised a while back, The very first of my acylic paintings (and for this year).....'Girl Pamela' (PZ26)
Im working on a theme of 'Newlyn and its Environs'. This will include the boats, the people who work there and anything else that catches my eye......
Given time, Ill try to steer towards Avian Wildlife, but for now this is me and my style...
Ive learnt a from a few mistakes along the way, I was afraid of the A3 paper to start with, so opted for somthing smaller, only to find everything was getting crammed in...A larger shhet will be the way forward, even if i only use the middle of it. I had a few distractions and failures along the way, but with any luck, the next one will be an improvement....

agree with all that's been said about failures...key is to just keep going...as Collen rightly says - move on to the next one...

Looking forward to more of the fishing series...first one is a great composition...and such vibrant colour! Off to a flying start for the new year...

Cheers Chris,
Next one is already sketched out and ready to go for this weekend. Not sure how many I can post before the Moderators give me a warning for non avian art.

Cheers Chris,
Next one is already sketched out and ready to go for this weekend. Not sure how many I can post before the Moderators give me a warning for non avian art.

Stick a gull in Job done :-O Dont give up with the birds fella keep plodding on as I do

and so, the second in the series is done....
Newlyn Painting.JPG
Already my style has changed a great deal, but the main lesson Ive learnt with this one is to make sure the initial sketch is done properly...saves having to guess the missing bits and make errors along the way - of which there are a few ! I got lost around the blue glove, so the detail isnt the best..but the lessons are there to be learnt...
In your eyes, is the change of style going in the right direction, or should I stay in the simple mode ?

Next one will have to be Avian Art !

advice from me and I got it from so many big name artists and teachers, don't worry over "style" Your style comes from lots of painting, not trying to make one. just paint. I think of it like handwriting. We all get penmanship lessons in school. We all copy the same letters and strokes and we are supposed to make them as exact as possible to the model, but we all end up with very unique handwriting that everyone recognizes as ours. REal style comes from within, you cant help it , it is hardwired into your nervous system and way of making marks.
not what you consciously decide to do, but in the fast and furious creating of your work.

Thank you colleen, Style does come from quantity.......I guess I worry too much about the end result. (and Im sure the MODs will boot me off if i dont do somthing feathery sometime soon)

Well, after a few false starts, I decided to go for the Avian Art, maybe to prove that i could do it above all else....
paintings 006.jpg
Made a good start with the Pheasant, but after leaving it for a few weeks, could n't get back into the difficult bit of doing the feathers, So I thought Id do something different again.....
photo.JPG
A bust of some famous Mallorcan Artist - Hermengild CARAMASA, but this went the same way as the first.....
My decision for now, is to get back into my Fishing Series and get back into doing what I am comfortable with. I may make a comeback with somthing that fit well on this site....But for now Ill aim at improving on what Ive done so far.....

Well, Im till around....and gently perusing threads and blogs.....
Trying to paint anything is taking second (or third) place at the moment, due to the company being reorganised in a big way, which means having to apply for my job (again). So my mind has been elsewhere......That being said, my application forms are done and posted, so just need to wait and see the final outcome.
Ive started another large acylic painting (A3 is large for me !) in the same vein as that which I posted at #666. A subject which Im trying to exploit and become well conversant with. No WiP photos to add distraction, Im keen not to keep failing by doing so...But hope to get it completed within the next few weeks....

Lovely drawings Andrew.Like you I have just started drawing again after many years.i have just Joined this Group and I have put a Drawing on here today of a wolf, next drawing I will have ago at doing is of a bird what I Captured on my camera of a Parrot Cross bill very rare to this country so I was told.Keep up the Drawing and By for now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back