• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

cheers mate, you've just inspired me to get out there when i had been grumbling about the drizzle. :t:

I'll second that - cracking write up and, as you say, you never know what might be about if you're in the right place at the right time. I got quite sadly excited about a patch tick on Dersingham Bog the other day .... a Crow (I really should get out more!)

Irene

Redpolls

A frustratingly mobile but interesting flock of redpolls was seen at Strumpshaw today, when the whole flock is together there must be c50 Lessers and 2-3 Mealy along with c70 Siskin. We had chased them around the reserve but then got our best views in the car park. Definitely worth a look if you like redpolls, could be something rarer in there if you're patient enough. There is also a fairly pale looking bird, but I never saw the rump !

Titchwell January 25th

Today's highlights

Bittern - 1+ in reedbed
Red kite - 1 over Thornham saltmarsh
Common buzzard - 1 over Thornham saltmarsh
Mealy redpoll - 1 in feeders around visitor centre

Paul

Whistle stop tour of Strumpshaw and Buckenham

Redpolls

A frustratingly mobile but interesting flock of redpolls was seen at Strumpshaw today, when the whole flock is together there must be c50 Lessers and 2-3 Mealy along with c70 Siskin. We had chased them around the reserve but then got our best views in the car park. Definitely worth a look if you like redpolls, could be something rarer in there if you're patient enough. There is also a fairly pale looking bird, but I never saw the rump !

Saw the redpolls too
Birds would not settle but 2 or 3 birds mealies as far as I could tell. One adult male a mealy and perhaps a young male too, plus a third probable mealy.

From Buckenham Station over 40 bean geese and around a 100 white-fronted geese. Scope views only but not as far away or as hidden as when viewed from Cantley.

Booked my birthday off tomorrow to go birding - I will be 21;););)

Have a horrible cold and could do with a lie in but have go to a garage very early before I go birding, so may not be starting out too early!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Booked my birthday off tomorrow to go birding - I will be 21;););)

Have a horrible cold and could do with a lie in but have go to a garage very early before I go birding, so may not be starting out too early!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

A girl should never let onto her age. Dress up warm, it going to be cold!!:cat::cat:

Visited Kettlestone Common, (looking ideal for a jack snipe) no rare stuff but a selection of birds including five bullfinch in the late afternoon sun, flighty siskin flock with a redpoll amongst them, woodcock, common buzzard and both barn and tawny owl.

The Tundra Bean Goose was still at Sidestrand today.

For anyone wishing to see it please park ONLY in Coast Road at the east end of Overstand village. Then walk c500 yards east along the B1159 towards Sidestrand and at the top of the hill (just before Sidestrand Hall School) there is a driveway/bridleway on your right. Just walk into the start of the driveway to view the beet field directly in front of you which it is currently favouring with its new found friend! (see pic) You'll need to look round to your right towards the radar station and hopefully it should be there.

I'm sure it goes without saying but please stay on the driveway to avoid flushing the bird and do not block access to the houses down the drive.

Pic of Barn Owl at West Runton also attached.

Simon

Attachments

• Bean&Egyptian1.jpg
    Bean&Egyptian1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 146
  • BarnOwl1.jpg
    BarnOwl1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 98
Not a good day really as felt very ill with cold/virus - see my blog for details etc.

Best Wishes Penny

Have you tryed the celeb serious illness diet! You will lose weight, but you have only a 50% chance of survival!! I would stick to fish and chips!

Hope you are feeling better soon! :cat::cat:

:cat::cat:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help. After years of failed attempts, I am finally off to Norfolk next week (for the whole week) for a birding holiday (I live in Birmingham). I have 3 species which I am desperate to see; crane, shorelark and rough-legged buzzard. I'm hoping for crane down at Horsey, and my cottage is in Blakeney which seems to be a good spot for the rough-leg that has been kicking around there (unless someone has another suggestion?). I was wondering if anyone knew of a reliable spot this winter for shorelark? Any help would be very much appreciated.

I don't know of a Rough-leg around Blakeney - the only one being publicised is SW of Great Yarmouth on Chedgrave Marshes. View this from the NW corner of Waveney Forest, approx grid ref TG461012, >here<

There are two Shore Larks being consistently reported at Snettisham, on the beach 200m south of the last chalet.

And Crane should be OK in the fields along the coast between West Somerton and Waxham (i.e. either side of Horsey). The raptor roost at Hickling Stubb Mill is pretty much guaranteed sightings if you don't find them during the day (and is worth a visit anyway!).

Snow Buntings

30+ at Salthouse in beach car park, beautiful to see excellent plumage. Also good flock of Linnet at far end of East Bank Cley. Was very cold though!:D

Sally.

Raptors 28 Jan Waveney Forest viewpoint

I don't know of a Rough-leg around Blakeney - the only one being publicised is SW of Great Yarmouth on Chedgrave Marshes. View this from the NW corner of Waveney Forest, approx grid ref TG461012, >here<

From the viewpoint
rough-legged buzzard usually towards Seven-mile House and windmill
three hen harriers (I saw two, could not pick up the third)
six plus marsh harriers including a close adult male
three kestrels the only falcons
no short-eared owls by early afternoon at least
small flocks of geese including pink-feet`

Strumpshaw Fen was pretty good this morning: a huge Peregrine tussling with a Marshie, good views of a Bittern (+ one booming!!! How early is that!) and an otter right in front of the reception hide!
Couldn't find any finch flocks, though :(

The Firecrest was still in the western car park of Felbrigg Park this afternoon tho elusive. 3 Pochards and a Pintail were new in on the lake, no sign of any Mandarins today but there was a pair there on Tuesday.

Also the Tundra Bean Goose was still at Sidestrand this afternoon (for its 5th day) and seems settled there with an Egyptian Goose.

As stated before please park only in Coast Road in Overstrand (which is a small side road at the east end of the village opposite the bus shelter and phone box) and not on the main coastal road through the village, and then walk c500yds east along the B1159 to view the beet field from the start of the driveway/bridleway on the right at the top of the hill just before Sidestrand Hall School.

Simon

There are two Shore Larks being consistently reported at Snettisham, on the beach 200m south of the last chalet.

And Crane should be OK in the fields along the coast between West Somerton and Waxham (i.e. either side of Horsey). The raptor roost at Hickling Stubb Mill is pretty much guaranteed sightings if you don't find them during the day (and is worth a visit anyway!).

Thank you very much, much appreciated!!

For all those who've been impressed with the sudden run of good birds at Whitlingham.... the female Ring-necked Duck has turned up there this afternoon as well! Can't remember if it's been here previously, before starting its tour of the broads?

I went back for another look at the scaup thing yesterday. In much better light and closer swang me back towards the scaup camp. The bill looked better than I had previously thought and the head shape seemed ok. Wish I had spent more time looking at the other aythyas and I might have found the RND...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back