• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LBBGulls (5/10/13) (1 Viewer)

Samuel Perfect

Saw these two LBBGulls on Swanpool (Falmouth, Cornwall) yesterday and was rather baffled at the huge variation in the two individuals (particularly their build and shading of the mantle).

The darker individual was classic LBBG shape and size whilst the paler bird was approaching Herring Gull proportions and far less slender in appearance.

My camera was playing up so I only managed a brief shot of the darker individual (none of the paler bird and no open wing view of the darker one).

All notes are on the drawing itself but please let me know if some of it is illegible.

Question is, are they both within reasonable variation for LBBGull?

Attachments

• October 2013 023.jpg
    October 2013 023.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 79
without seeing the paler one it's hard to tell but certainly there exist quite pale LBBGs.
in the photo there's a nice 1cy in foreground and the dark adult or 4th calender type looks like a textbook intermedius - but not easy to prove. it has long wings, probably a female. some adults, esp. in nominate baltic don't get more than this smallish p10 mirror. but this one still is a bit young. surely it has longer wings than the presumed male graellsii you saw it with.

Thanks Geoff for the links,

I'm not usually very keen to jump to the hybrid conclusion but is this pale mantle shading only explained by a HerringxLBB Gull mix?

The bill depth and fleshy base reminded me more of HGull whilst the only explanation for a relatively pale mantle was HGull influence.

I'll hopefully catch up with it again over the next couple nights roosting offshore and will try to get some pics,

Cheers,

Intermedius is very common in England - at least in my bit - throughout the year. This is demonstrated by the number of colour-ringed birds ringed as chicks in Norway, Denmark and northern Germany.

Oddly the latest Cornwall annual bird reports (2006 and 2007) have hardly any records though. Birds on the Hayle estuary last month included plenty though.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back