• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Conquest HD - Focus Wheel Issue (1 Viewer)

I will return it only because i think 10X is better on a 42MM for eye placement (definitevely i can have a better resolution with the 10x and don't feel the very little bit shakier view to be a problem).

I felt the dead point on the wheel probably because i ve ridden it on this board :-O
it is extremely minimal and appears only at the end of the focus range.

If it is a "bad" batch it is a hudge one as it appears that some guys bought the bino in the US and i bought it in Europe.

You are probably right, it could be a bad batch. The question is, how many to go through before trying another vendor.

A.W.

My thoughts exactly. If I get another bad focus wheel, I will probably go elsewhere. My initial instinct was to go with another set of bins, but so many of you have said you have this pair with an excellent focus wheel that it makes me optimistic that I can get the same. Though this is a lot harder than it should be...

My thoughts exactly. If I get another bad focus wheel, I will probably go elsewhere. My initial instinct was to go with another set of bins, but so many of you have said you have this pair with an excellent focus wheel that it makes me optimistic that I can get the same. Though this is a lot harder than it should be...

I think this is not a question of vendor, as we did not buy it in the same place and different continent !:-O

Is this possible that is it not an issue and maybe present on all conquest and that some users don' t notice it like "rolling ball" ?

I read some review on different website and about different model (8X32 ; 10X42 etc....) there almost all stated that there is a little free play in the focus knob !?

Again when i tested the bino i did not find it as a problem...

Is this possible that is it not an issue and maybe present on all conquest and that some users don' t notice it like "rolling ball" ?

I read some review on different website and about different model (8X32 ; 10X42 etc....) there almost all stated that there is a little free play in the focus knob !?

Again when i tested the bino i did not find it as a problem...

It is not present on all Conquests, so it is time to squash that idea
right now.

Jerry

I absolutely hate free play in focusers. My Conquest 8x32 didn't get to be one of my most favoured binos by having this problem.

Lee

I have a near 4 year old pair of Conquest HD 8x42 with about 1000 field days on them in the tropics. Focuser continues to be excellent and slack free.

My Terra EDs have an absolutely flawless focuser, so the Conquests that I bought should have the same (and I hope the replacements will).

I have had four pairs of Conquest HDs and the focussing has been excellent on all of them, although there can be a tiny amount of play if you look ( or feel ) for it, but batch variation does exist and I know others who have had poor focussing. I remember trying a pair of 8x42s in one shop that had focussing so bad that it felt as though you were going over a series of ridges. On the same theme, my two Terra 8x42s had similar smoothness but different tension in the focussing; again, this is down to variations in different batches of the same model.

I have 8 X 32 conquest and I have not noticed jerky or notchy but for long distance viewing you are right on one side of the focus wheel. they seem to be great for adjusting viewing up to 20ft but once over this you are nearly off the focus wheel.

I was in possession of three different Conquest HD 8x32 within a relatively short period of time. The first two samples had, in my opinion, perfect focusers. Both were demo models / returned goods; and I did resell them because of minor cosmetic damages I didn't like at that time. My third copy went straight back to the supplier because it had (IMO) unacceptable play in the focus mechanism. Therefore: mixed experience. This was in winter 2016/17. But I still might want to try another copy someday.

Last edited:
I have 8 X 32 conquest and I have not noticed jerky or notchy but for long distance viewing you are right on one side of the focus wheel. they seem to be great for adjusting viewing up to 20ft but once over this you are nearly off the focus wheel.

Hi David

This sounds like your Conquests have a problem. Can you give us some more information on what you mean by 'nearly off the focus wheel'?

Lee

Hi Lee

Its difficult to explain but they will focus very close, three quarters of a turn on the focus wheel will get you focused from about 5 ft to 13ft. then say the remaining quarter gets you out to 50ft. but at distance say 1km you have very little focus wheel left say I quarter of a turn......Even reading this now I think I am going to send them back as they are still covered under warranty.

I don't think you have to send them back. According to your description, it sounds like normal operation of the focuser ;).

Last edited:
Hi Lee

Its difficult to explain but they will focus very close, three quarters of a turn on the focus wheel will get you focused from about 5 ft to 13ft. then say the remaining quarter gets you out to 50ft. but at distance say 1km you have very little focus wheel left say I quarter of a turn......Even reading this now I think I am going to send them back as they are still covered under warranty.

David

That sounds quite normal providing they will focus on infinity or at least the very far distance. If they will focus on the far distance and also close focus to about 5 ft then everything sounds normal.

Lee

Thanks.....Just feels weird having all that adjustment and turn on the wheel for up to 13ft then the distance that you generally need 20 to 30ft having very little adjustment on the wheel.....I am pleased with the image though.
Regards
Dave

They do that with the focus wheel so you can keep birds in focus that are flitting through nearby tree branches. Because of depth of field issues at short distances the closer the bird is to you the more you have to move the focus wheel to keep the bird sharp and follow it. The further away the bird is the less you have to move the focus wheel to keep it sharp and follow it.

You can test it by following a bird that is foraging around your lawn while you keep it in sharp focus.

Bob

Last edited:
I always felt that it would be nice to have more focus wheel travel at the “far end” in binoculars in general. Because infinity is the most used distance, and more precision here would be beneficial. I also prefer slow focusers, and even a focuser like the one in the Swaro SV could be slower for me. I'm in a minority here, I guess. But looking through binoculars is a kind of meditation for me :) No need for speed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back