• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (1 Viewer)

Es Blanquer

A great day up north meeting so many birders. Nice seeing you all and having a chat.

Two adult female Red-footed Falcons at Maria de la Salut on the way home. An angry farmer told me to get off his road as it was private and birders are not welcome he said. I believe the road is public and I told him so. He went purple with rage so I left. Mike

I first thought that it was just you Mike, but it seems the farmers are against bird protection sites - many fields have Stop ZEPA posters. a real shame as farmers in other areas are some of the best protectors of birds.

https://ultimahora.es/noticias/part...-continua-berenar-reivindicativo-del-pla.html

I have had no problems in the area in the past and had none today; the farmers I met were friendly enough.
Birds seen today included Thekla Larks, Black and Red Kites, at least 5 kestrals including 2 pale ones that I failed to photograph. No Quail or Red Footed Falcons...sigh

On second thoughts maybe it was just you Mike

Mike Swiss

Seen the hybrid Little Egret x Western Reef Heron this morning from bishop 2 hide at Salbufera, nice looking bird.

Attachments

• 7D2_1002_cr b 900.jpg
    7D2_1002_cr b 900.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 80
A lovely report Craig, a joy to read, many thanks for posting it. How I love those Collared Pratincoles!
Just one question. I was told the jellyfish were Purple stingers. Are they the same species as your photo?
Many thanks, Mike

Hi mike that jelly fish fits perfectly, it does say many common names but purple stingers fit much better. thanks for that.

Hi Craig
Nice report. Just one comment, your paper wasp is a moth. I'll let you know which when I get back home and can see the image better. Can you recall where it was and the date?

It's a Hornet Clearwing, Sesia apiformis.

Martin

Well i never Thanks for that info Martin, id never have got that one it was on the walk down the drive of S Albufera on the 30th April.

Seen the hybrid Little Egret x Western Reef Heron this morning from bishop 2 hide at Salbufera, nice looking bird.

..and a very nice photo of it! :t:

There's a pure bird in Delta d'Ebre at the moment - they're all wondering if it will cross with a Little.....

Well i never Thanks for that info Martin, id never have got that one it was on the walk down the drive of S Albufera on the 30th April.

Hi Craig
That fits nicely as the larvae bore into the base of the White Poplars, which grow along the sides of the tracks, in order to feed.
It's quite a good mimic and one of a group of about eight clearwing species (wasp mimics) that occur on the Islands.
Martin

Today I became a tourist and took the boat to Cap Formentor from Port Pollensa.

This should be a must when the Elanores are nesting on the cliff.

Birds seen included Ravens, Booted Eagle, Red Kite, Peregrine, Elanores falcon(2), Shags and Cormorants, Yelliw legged and Audouins Gulls. Blue Rock thush also seen on the cliffs as well as nesting Swifts and Craig Martins.

Several Dolphines seen ( bottled nose?) and 5 Shearwaters ( Mike I think they are Balearic Shearwaters..I will post photo later)

Good value for a few Euros and no need to drive up to the lighthouse with the cyclists and summer visitors.

I like being a tourist

Today I became a tourist and took the boat to Cap Formentor from Port Pollensa.

This should be a must when the Elanores are nesting on the cliff.

Birds seen included Ravens, Booted Eagle, Red Kite, Peregrine, Elanores falcon(2), Shags and Cormorants, Yelliw legged and Audouins Gulls. Blue Rock thush also seen on the cliffs as well as nesting Swifts and Craig Martins.

Several Dolphines seen ( bottled nose?) and 5 Shearwaters ( Mike I think they are Balearic Shearwaters..I will post photo later)

Good value for a few Euros and no need to drive up to the lighthouse with the cyclists and summer visitors.

I like being a tourist

I always wanted to do that but felt uncomfortable taking my scope and bins sounds like a great trip and will be taking it next time im on the island :) thanks for the info

Hi Craig

Its worth getting off at the Formentor beach on the way back for an hour or so..you just pick up the next ferry .Nice birds in the trees including both firecrests and goldcrests, crossbills etc. No need for scope on the trip as you get close and with the help of a good camera its possible to get the id shots

Mike

Hi Josep,

Not today but I have seen both there in the car park or on the beach at difernt times of the year ( Gold crest in Autumn/ winter)

Two badly enhanced photos

As mentioned earler...Balearic Shearwaters??

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 88
Finally got around to writing my blog up following a short trip to Mallorca with Nick Watmough earlier this month. Considering we had only three full days I think we managed to squash in quite a few very memorable birding moments (with lots of help from this thread and its contributors). Hope you enjoy reading about it as much as we enjoyed being there - until next time!
http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/mallorca-2017-day-one.html
http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/mallorca-2017-day-two.html
http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/mallorca-2017-day-three.html
http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/mallorca-2017-day-four.html

Hi Graham, I'm loving all these reports, many thanks. Sorry about the argument with the wall though! Queue jumpers are really annoying.
Lovely photos of the Red-footed Falcons, surely one of the most elegant of all raptors. There were some Lesser kestrels there at that time so it's a shame they weren't a bit closer for you. Heat haze is a real problem here.
Some great birds you saw though, thanks for letting us know what's around. Amazing how much you saw in such a short time. Mike

Invasive Species

Vist around Colonia San Pere this morning. Usual birds but interesting was this moth.

Apparently its origin is South America. Paysandisia archon. Causes damage to Palm trees!

Mike Swiss

Attachments

• IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 69
Hi Craig

Its worth getting off at the Formentor beach on the way back for an hour or so..you just pick up the next ferry .Nice birds in the trees including both firecrests and goldcrests, crossbills etc. No need for scope on the trip as you get close and with the help of a good camera its possible to get the id shots

Mike
i need my scope to take photos :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back