• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA (1 Viewer)

OhioHick

Supporter
United States
Saw this little guy last week along the Dale Ball trails. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Santa_Fe_2017_A%20%28372%29_crop01-XL.jpg
    Santa_Fe_2017_A%20%28372%29_crop01-XL.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 73
I think Black-chinned due to the (a) slight white spot behind the eye, and (b) the location near Sante Fe, which takes away most SW hummingbird species. The tail appears to extend beyond the wingtips as well. The bill is too 'straight'...is my only question. the remaining image is so void of color that it is difficult to gauge this bird on coloration, only general black and white pattern. jim

I know...my point exactly...the bill is not the same as the Black Chinned...and it is not curved as much as it should be...Thoughts on what it could be then? jim

That was my second guess as it really is narrowed down to just a few given the location. The coloration can match (although not definitive by photograph) as well as the beak. The white line from beak back and to neck area is missing in the image but that can be just the fluff of the feathers. The tail feathers match, and the beak is much more connected to Broad Billed.

So,....beak matches and curve of beak which might be 'more definitive in nature' than the lack of the white line from beak back. .... I am willing to think it is Broad Billed as my original thinking was the beak was wrong for it to be black chinned. jim

I think it is either black-chinned or Anna's. It doesn't look like Broad-tailed to me. If it wasn't out of range I would call this an Anna's, looks more like one than black-chinned in my opinion. It is not possible to confirm species in this photo though.

I can accept either the Black Chinned or Broad Tailed but 'Anna's' might be pushing it a bit.... But, I think we can all agree, that confirmation is not going to happen given the quality of photo.

I can accept either the Black Chinned or Broad Tailed but 'Anna's' might be pushing it a bit.... But, I think we can all agree, that confirmation is not going to happen given the quality of photo.

I spent last summer in Nevada where all 3 occur. Last summer was my only experience with Western birds, but I saw a lot of all three of these hummers. From my experience, although limited, I don't see why you would think Broad-tailed is a possibility in this photo and not Anna's. A male Broad-tailed never struck me as all that similar to black-chinned, meanwhile Anna's and Black-chinned are so similar that they cannot always be distinguished. I can understand thinking that Anna's may be pushing it by range, but you cannot rule it out. In addition the bill is better for Anna's but bill size (or at least impression of size) from my experience can be variable on Black-chinned. Any links to photos of male Broad-tailed that look like Black-chinned? Again, not claiming to be an expert here but not understanding the suggestion of Broad-tailed here. The cap of this bird just looks too dark for Broad-tailed to me and I never really saw their throats look black in any lighting.

Last edited:
Great discussion! Thanks for all the commentary. Sorry about the quality of the photo, but that was the best I could do given the distance and my rather simple camera. One comment on the behavior of the little guy. He made two or three excursions from his perch in the dead snag, as if he was chasing something. He would make a pass then come back to the same perch for a while then repeat. Not sure if that means any thing.

FWIW, I was thinking Black-chinned as my first guess then Broad-tailed. Not that my novice observations carry any weight!

I think it is important to take into account habitat when birding....I just looked at ebird and saw that the last sighting of an Anna's Hummingbird anywhere close to Sante Fe was in 2005 and prior to that in 1996. So, for anyone to assume it is an Anna's on a poor photo, is taking one giant leap for mankind. And an Anna's is not even close to the bird in the photo, poor photo or not, it just isn't a solid match.

Second....as I stated in my first response, I was not happy with the beak if the bird is labeled a Black Chinned Hummingbird, although, Black Chinned have been sighted all around Sante Fe and Dale Ball trails. The white in back of the eye matches though, so a bit inconclusive.

So that left the option of another popular hummer in the Santa Fe region and one that has been sighted in June and May of 2017 near Dale Ball Trails. That is the broad-tailed Hummingbird. The beak matches up better but the lining to the eye and down to the neck is absent, so that is also a bit inconclusive.

So my two top choices are still the Broad tailed and Black Chinned, both of which are abundant in that area. Given that the bird can 'fluff' up enough to hide white linings and facial markings, the beak which resembled the Broad Tailed is just my choice. Your photo also has a bit of 'green' on the belly near the wings, that also matches a Broad Tailed.

Still inconclusive due to photo quality but due to beak and green on belly....I can more easily go for the broad tailed. jim

Great discussion! Thanks for all the commentary. Sorry about the quality of the photo, but that was the best I could do given the distance and my rather simple camera. One comment on the behavior of the little guy. He made two or three excursions from his perch in the dead snag, as if he was chasing something. He would make a pass then come back to the same perch for a while then repeat. Not sure if that means any thing.

FWIW, I was thinking Black-chinned as my first guess then Broad-tailed. Not that my novice observations carry any weight!

Your photo is not that bad actually, we are used fo much harder ones on BF !

Let me correct myself... the photo is nice n one can tell the patten etc. but it is the features that the 'bird' failed to display as it posed:) jim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back