• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Llobregat Delta, Catalonia, Spain - an overview (1 Viewer)

Stephen C

Llobregat Delta

Whether you need to fill in a couple of rushed hours before flying off somewhere or want to take it easy and relax away the whole day, the Llobregat Delta, next to Barcelona's El Prat airport, is the perfect location.

Indeed, as nature creates a freakish metaphor of its neighbour, with thousands of birds and some 350 species passing through each year, it’s not surprising that it’s earned a reputation as THE place for migrants in the whole of Catalunya.

Everything from Bluethroat, paying but fleeting visits, to Spoonbill, often hanging around for months, takes a stopover here at some point.

Those taking their regular scheduled flights include Osprey, Booted Eagle, Great White Egret, Glossy Ibis, Furruginous Duck, White-winged Black Tern and Little Gull although by far the most memorable is the invasion of thousands upon thousands of hirundines, when all five European species including Red-rumped Swallow and Crag Martin, can be seen skimming and darting through every spare centimetre of air space.

And, of course, there are always those who miss their flight and each year ill-winds bring in a mixed bag of rare vagrants all eager to find their way home.

As expected perhaps, the delta is well staffed with natives also and Night Heron, Kentish Plover, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Black-winged Stilt, Penduline Tit, Scops Owl and Purple Gallinule all busy themselves during the breeding season.

It does have its quiet side though and, given an early morning, a seat overlooking the Vidala and a flask of coffee, you stand your best chance, perhaps in the whole of the Iberian Peninsular, of seeing Water Rail, Little Crake, Baillon's Crake and Moustached Warbler.

But be careful you don't miss your flight!

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com (newly online but with tething problems, feedback helpful)

N.B. I have also posted 'overview' reports on these other places in Catalunya, Spain:
The Ebro Delta
The Cap de Creus
The Pyrenees
Garraf Massif
Steppes of Lleida

see below for direct links

Last edited:
Stephen C said:
Llobregat Delta

Whether you need to fill in a couple of rushed hours before flying off somewhere or want to take it easy and relax away the whole day, the Llobregat Delta, next to Barcelona's El Prat airport, is the perfect location.

But be careful you don't miss your flight!

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com (newly online but with tething problems, feedback helpful)
Is there an easy way for someone to visit Delta de Llobregat from Barcelona (or the airport) without driving yourself?

Allen S. Moore said:
Is there an easy way for someone to visit Delta de Llobregat from Barcelona (or the airport) without driving yourself?
Yes. You can get me to drive. If you're planning a trip let me know and I'll take you (I go there anyway so its not really work is it?)

Failing that, try birdingpal.com (I think its called) for other volunteers who like to show people around.

A taxi also is a possibility but you'd have to order one to pick you up.

Finally there are buses to within walking distance (I'll see if I can find out for you) or go to Castelldefels and walk along the beach!

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Hi Stephen

Just to let you know that I looked at your site yesterday and this evening and had no problems. Congratulations on an attractive and informative site.

Roy

muchas gracias

Roy Ledgerton said:
Hi Stephen

Just to let you know that I looked at your site yesterday and this evening and had no problems. Congratulations on an attractive and informative site.

Roy
Roy, hope you're well.

thank you for taking the time and trouble to check it out; it really does make a difference and have made numerous changes in response to comments I've had (I've never designed one before so it has been a bit of a learning curve). Off on a trip but when I get back I'm adding a family page, a links page and starting to upload species pages.

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Stephen C said:
Yes. You can get me to drive. If you're planning a trip let me know and I'll take you (I go there anyway so its not really work is it?)

Failing that, try birdingpal.com (I think its called) for other volunteers who like to show people around.

A taxi also is a possibility but you'd have to order one to pick you up.

Finally there are buses to within walking distance (I'll see if I can find out for you) or go to Castelldefels and walk along the beach!

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

I've a feeling it's the number 9 bus (to Castelldelfels) that leaves from just off Placa De Catalunya. I think the road is called Ronda de la Universitat - don't have a map to hand. Even if you speak Spanish, the driver probably won't have a clue where you should get off. There used to be a big sign (Camping Del Toro?) but I've a feeling that it had gone last time we visited.

If you decide not to take Stephen up on his very kind offer (we'll be there in September for the Merce and will no doubt be visiting at least once), then the clue is the airport. Sit on the left hand side of the bus, facing forward. You go past the end of a major runway - there were some structures (fuel/gas tanks?) between the end of the runway and the fence on last two times we were in the area). When you see these, it's time to get off. Get across the road (interesting!) and follow the obvious road to the reserve entrance. We've seen Penduline Tits along this road on each visit (four times, I think). We need to go back soon because my car sticker is looking a bit tired now.

Buses are quite frequent - about 4 per hour - and you'll need a good few hours to get round - allow three to four for the reserve plus an hour each way for the bus. Take a drink and a sandwich and probably a hat if you're there in the warmer months. There are hides but no much shade away from the hides. If I remeber correctly, one of the hide's doors needs a good shove - we thought it was locked until we saw a Spanish birder shoulder his way in.

pandachris said:
There used to be a big sign (Camping Del Toro?) but I've a feeling that it had gone last time we visited.

If you decide not to take Stephen up on his very kind offer (we'll be there in September for the Merce and will no doubt be visiting at least once), then the clue is the airport. Sit on the left hand side of the bus, facing forward. You go past the end of a major runway - there were some structures (fuel/gas tanks?) between the end of the runway and the fence on last two times we were in the area). When you see these, it's time to get off.
Guys

Actually there's a major road and airport extension building programme going on at the moment so your instructions probably won't make much sense even when they've finished. I'm not in Barcelona at the moment but will check things out when I get back if anyone is desperate.

Otherwise just ask nearer your departure time, both of you, and I'll update you. The one thing that, so far at least, doesn't look like it will change is that the entrance is at about km186 on the C31 (direction, Casteldefells to Barcelona).

If you're heading out of Barcelona towards Casteldefells on the C31 you have to pass it and carry on for about 3km before being able to turn around.

All the best

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Stephen C said:
Guys

Actually there's a major road and airport extension building programme going on at the moment ...

Typical. Just when we thought we'd got it sussed, they go and change it all around. I hope the work won't impact on the reserve.

pandachris said:
Typical. Just when we thought we'd got it sussed, they go and change it all around. I hope the work won't impact on the reserve.
Unfortunately, I think it already is. I was told that the Marsh harriers breeding success was affected though haven't confirmed this. Hopefully its only temporary. I believe that part of the deal is that they allocate and prepare an extension to the reserve in other sectors as compensation for any damage.

I have to say that the Catalan Government do seem very switched on in terms of the environment etc.

By the way the reserves opening and closing times have been affected recently - I believe after a fire caused by careless picnickers - and it doesn't open until 10am and closes at 6pm.

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Stephen C said:

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Thanks for what is, indeed, a very kind offer. I am not sure when I will next be in Catalunya on holiday - I've promised my children that I will take them to Australia this year. Life is full of hardships!

Allen

The Offer stands

Allen S. Moore said:
Thanks for what is, indeed, a very kind offer. I am not sure when I will next be in Catalunya on holiday - I've promised my children that I will take them to Australia this year. Life is full of hardships!

Allen

The offer stands - may be next year. Have a good trip.

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Stephen C said:
The offer stands - may be next year. Have a good trip.

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Stephen, have you come across a ringer called Sergi Sales at the delta? The reason being is that I'm trying to get in touch with him. If so, any chance you can get his email address next time you see him and PM me it?

thanks

Llobregat Delta: Sergi Sales

Fair Islander said:
Stephen, have you come across a ringer called Sergi Sales at the delta? The reason being is that I'm trying to get in touch with him. If so, any chance you can get his email address next time you see him and PM me it?

thanks
Don't know him I'm afraid. Try emailing the reserve here rndeltallobregat.dmah 'at' gencat.net

If this isn't successful get back to me. I think I have a more direct email address somewhere. Anyway, I'll ask when I'm next there.

All the best
Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Fair Islander said:

thanks

Hi there
Excuse my butting in, but I was with Sergi Sales and a small bunch of Catalan birders watching gulls at Cambrils last week. Also Chris Gibbins (sound familiar?). Although I am not directly in contact with Sergi I wouldn't have too many problems in getting his number for you if you still needed it. If so it's better if you send me a private message as I'm not as regular a visitor as Stephen Christopher is, and I might not see your reply!

steve West

Getting there UPDATE

Stephen C said:
there's a major road and airport extension building programme going on at the moment...The one thing that, so far at least, doesn't look like it will change is that the entrance is at about km186 on the C31 (direction, Casteldefells to Barcelona).

If you're heading out of Barcelona towards Casteldefells on the C31 you have to pass it and carry on for about 3km before being able to turn around.
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Just to add a correction to my previous post: it's just past km188 on the C31 not km186 as I said above.

The roadworks are still there and are likely to be for some time but aren't causing much trouble - in terms of access, it doesn't look good for the birds in the area immediately surrounding the reserve.

All the best

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

catalonian tours

Hi from Sabadell,
nice page and very informative. I will pass around the link. I had been aroung your area various time in the past months and I didn't know the birds tours were happening. Good to know now.

cheers
anna

sabadell!

anna r. said:
Hi from Sabadell,
nice page and very informative. I will pass around the link. I had been aroung your area various time in the past months and I didn't know the birds tours were happening. Good to know now.

cheers
anna

Anna

Thank you. I have sent you a private message with my email address.

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Stephen C said:
Llobregat Delta

Just arrived back after a 10 day family holiday in Spain which during which we stayed for 3 nights at Stephen's villa including a day's birding around the Massaf Natural Park and Llobregat Delta.

I have posted a summary of birds seen on our day with Stephen below. The birding was great, the two areas provided a diverse and good range of species. Llobregat is a wetland reserve right next to Barcelona airport. There are hides and screens, providing good views of the reedbeds and scrapes. Notable birds here included Collared Practincole, Whiskered Tern, Purple Gallinule, Purple Heron, Greater Flamingo, Audouin's Gull and good number's of waders including Wood, Green, 7 Common Sandpipers, Little Stint, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank and Little Ringed Plover.

Only a short drive away but a very different habitat is the mountainous Garraf Natural Park. Even though we birded most of this in the afternoon it was still very productive with 3 Wheatear species (Northern, Black-eared & Black), Woodchat & Sourthern Grey Shrike, Ortolan & Cirl Bunting, Dartford & Sardinian Warbler.

We were able to bird at a very leisurely pace which suited my family. Stephen was good company and ensured all the family were involved and entertained. My 11 year old son got his first chance at digiscoping using Stephen's camera and scope. Guests stay in the ground floor of Stephen's villa. This has recently been renovated and is very well furnished and comfortable; it includes a swimming pool, table tennis and pool table. It is an easy place from which to drive to Barcelona (we went to the Neu Camp) and the coast. Overall an excellent base to combine a birding trip with a family holiday.

A list for the day's birding follows. Stephen's website is

http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/index.html

PM me if you further info on my stay

David

Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Purple Heron [sp] (Ardea purpurea)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Cattle Egret [sp] (Bubulcus ibis)
Black-crowned Night Heron [sp] (Nycticorax
nycticorax)
Eurasian Spoonbill [sp] (Platalea leucorodia)
Greater Flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber)
Common Shelduck (Tadorna tadorna)
Gadwall (Anas strepera strepera)
Eurasian Teal (Anas crecca crecca)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Garganey (Anas querquedula)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Red-crested Pochard (Netta rufina)
Eurasian Marsh Harrier [sp] (Circus aeruginosus)
Common Kestrel [sp] (Falco tinnunculus)
Peregrine Falcon [sp] (Falco peregrinus)
Red-legged Partridge [sp] (Alectoris rufa)
Common Pheasant [sp] (Phasianus colchicus)
Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio porphyrio)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus
himantopus)
Pied Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)
Collared Pratincole [sp] (Glareola pratincola)
Little Plover [sp] (Charadrius dubius)
Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago gallinago)
Spotted Redshank (Tringa erythropus)
Common Redshank [sp] (Tringa totanus)
Common Greenshank [sp] (Tringa nebularia)
Green Sandpiper (Tringa ochropus)
Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola)
Little Stint (Calidris minuta)
Ruff (Philomachus pugnax)
Audouin's Gull (Larus audouinii)
Western Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus
graellsii)
Western Yellow-legged Gull (Larus michahellis
michahellis)
Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus)
Little Gull (Larus minutus)
Whiskered Tern [sp] (Chlidonias hybrida)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia ''feral'')
Stock Dove [sp] (Columba oenas)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Cuckoo [sp] (Cuculus canorus) Heard
Alpine Swift [sp] (Tachymarptis melba)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Eurasian Hoopoe [sp] (Upupa epops)
Iberian Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis sharpei)
Sand Martin [sp] (Riparia riparia)
Eurasian Swallow (Hirundo rustica rustica)
Red-rumped Swallow (Cecropis daurica rufula)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbica)
White Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla alba)
Blue-headed Wagtail (Motacilla flava flava)
Eurasian Wren [sp] (Troglodytes troglodytes) Heard
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Mistle Thrush [sp] (Turdus viscivorus)
Zitting Cisticola [sp] (Cisticola juncidis)
Cetti's Warbler (Cettia cetti)
Great Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus arundinaceus)
Willow Warbler [sp] (Phylloscopus trochilus)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita) Heard
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Sardinian Warbler (Sylvia melanocephala)
Dartford Warbler [sp] (Sylvia undata)
Spotted Flycatcher [sp] (Muscicapa striata)
Common Nightingale [sp] (Luscinia megarhynchos)
Black Redstart [sp] (Phoenicurus ochruros)
Common Redstart [sp] (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)
Whinchat (Saxicola rubetra)
European Stonechat [sp] (Saxicola rubicola)
Black Wheatear [sp] (Oenanthe leucura)
Northern Wheatear [sp] (Oenanthe oenanthe)
Black-eared Wheatear [sp] (Oenanthe hispanica)
Coal Tit [sp] (Periparus ater) Heard
Crested Tit [sp] (Lophophanes cristatus) Heard
Great Tit [sp] (Parus major)
Blue Tit [sp] (Cyanistes caeruleus)
Southern Grey Shrike [sp] (Lanius meridionalis)
Woodchat Shrike [sp] (Lanius senator)
Eurasian Jay [sp] (Garrulus glandarius)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
Eurasian Tree Sparrow [sp] (Passer montanus)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Common Linnet [sp] (Acanthis cannabina)
European Serin (Serinus serinus)
Cirl Bunting [sp] (Emberiza cirlus)
Ortolan Bunting (Emberiza hortulana)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back