• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what species of owl (1 Viewer)

Bubo,
Where was it found? I called up Vasant's profile and no help there. Size? It looks larger than some type of Asian (or African) Glaucidium but the markings look more like Glaucidium than Otus to me and maybe the photo is tricking us into thinking it is larger.

Glaucidium sp. was first impression, then blank, then Collared Owlet (Glaucidium brodiei), but maybe to small? Then Jungle Owlet (Glaucidium radiatum), little bigger than brodiei, but plumage wise they both look good. I suppose you dont mean that it was found in Belgium?
JanJ

WHY Does it appear to in some form of a BOX......!! ??

"...Found..." "....which has probably not grown up yet..."

Appears that its yet another "orphan" thats been "saved" & destined to live in someones shed at home.

Dont encourage him Bubo.....

"Send me anything at all on Owls, Except recipes....."

Stevie,

I agree especially if someone will send me a photo of Jubula lettii!! Lacking less than 30 species of Owls by now in photos including Tytonidae.

Already established, but I certainly agree: Without doubt a Glaucidium sp. Quite certainly one of the Old World species from this genus and I'm guessing one of the two species suggested by JanJ are the most likely candidates. As others said, locality would help...

"Latest is he was lying near the base of the tree. Maybe he fell or scrambled down, I'm not sure. Sorry for not telling you earlier, the location is Kanpur 26 27' N & 80 24' E , Country India. Do " (post by Vasant in forum)

So no escape in Belgium,
good luck figuring out what it is.

cheers,
HouseCrow

Three Glaucidium (incl. the two mentioned by JanJ) occur at or relatively near that locality: Asian Barred Owlet (G. cuculoides), Collared Owlet (G. brodiei) and Jungle Owlet (G. radiatum). Of these the Collared Owlet would be relatively easy to ID/exclude as it is the only of the three with distinct and rather large black "fake eye" markings on the nape. My tentative guess would be Jungle Owlet (G. radiatum) due to the extent of the barring below and the relatively bright barring on the flight-feathers. This is also the most likely possibility, as the other two are associated with the Himalayas in this part of the World.

Rasmus Boegh said:
Three Glaucidium (incl. the two mentioned by JanJ) occur at or relatively near that locality: Asian Barred Owlet (G. cuculoides), Collared Owlet (G. brodiei) and Jungle Owlet (G. radiatum). Of these the Collared Owlet would be relatively easy to ID/exclude as it is the only of the three with distinct and rather large black "fake eye" markings on the nape. My tentative guess would be Jungle Owlet (G. radiatum) due to the extent of the barring below and the relatively bright barring on the flight-feathers. This is also the most likely possibility, as the other two are associated with the Himalayas in this part of the World.

Agree!
JanJ

Hello everyone

i'm sorry for not replying earlier. I would just like to thank you for your help in id'ying the owlet. I couldnt offer any more information that i already gave. I also pulled up his profile but nothing was said about location until later during the day as you may have noticed.

I try very hard to help peeps understand that wild owls are just that and should stay that way but the amount of help calls is quite alarming. Thanks once again to the great members of this great site i was well stumped on this species. My initial thought was a sort of little owl so i dont really know why i looked up the otus species :eek!:

thank you once again and lets hope this owl will remain in the wild!!

bubobubo

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back