• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mountain bluebird or indigo bunting. . . in connecticut, USA (1 Viewer)

skullygirl

hi all,
i am a baffled beginner birder ;)

ok, so i was mountain biking here in connecticut yesterday, and i saw a blue bird that i don't recall seeing before. it was maybe about 6" tall, standing in some dry grass all by itself, on the edge of a wooded area that opened onto a reservoir. the bird had smooth, solid coloring: a blue body, grey belly, possibly a bit o' gray toward the bottom of the wings.

i checked my sibley's AND some bird ID websites, but am still baffled. the illustration that looks most like my bird IS the mountain blue bird, except i feel my bird may have been a tinge darker blue, and my bird doesn't exactly fit the habitat as described for the mountain blue bird. the indigo bunting habitat may be more in line with what i saw, plus the illustration (and moreso, some photos i saw) of the indigo bunting, represent a much chubbier bird than the one i saw.

i guess i'm leaning toward the mountain bluebird, but i am skeptical to call it. . . seeing that it is an uncommon in connecticut, especially given our altitude.
help!! . . . any thoughts?
thanks

How about an Eastern Bluebird? They are more orange on the throat and breast, but it might not have been obvious in the lighting? Or perhaps a juvenile? (I'm not sure what their coloring is). Bluebirds often perch on posts and fences in a somewhat conspicuous location as they are fly catching.

hi all! i also ran this past an experienced birding friend of mine who also lives in ct, and he too thinks it's the indigo bunting. but i have to say, i am more frustrated than ever! the more i look at photos of the indigo bunting, the more convinced i am that it is NOT my bird. i know what i saw, and the indigo bunting is chubbier, fluffier, smaller and has more color variations than my bird.

my bird was taller and leaner. .. even the feet (err....or whatever) and beak were thinner than the indigo bunting. my bird was more streamlined with a more upright posture than an indigo bunting. his colors were smooth and solid. . . mostly a med blue with a lil' med grey on tummy and wing bottoms.

wow. how frustrating! i know what i saw. ha! :)
maybe it's something else??? i didn't see any matches in the sibley's or on the online bird identifiers.

.....any other thoughts?
thanks!

Any chance of going back to the spot with a camera? If it is a rarity that is your only chance of true confirmation.

I agree, get a camera to that spot. It would be really something if it actually is a Mountain Bluebird. Your written description seems to fit but a picture would really help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back