• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro -Coolpix 4500 adaptor Help (1 Viewer)

PaulW

I have been the owner of a Swaro AT80HD for sometime now and as a result of viewing the excellent photos on this forum have decided to try my hand at digiscoping.

I am in the process of purchasing a Coolpix 4500 but am unsure about which adaptor to use. Having looked through a number of the posts here I have decided that I would like to start with something relatively simple like the LCE or SRB type of adaptor. However, I am a little concerned that I will need to remove the fold down rubber eyecup from my 20-60x eyepiece to fit the adaptor.

Does this mean that everytime I need to fit the adaptor I will have to unscrew the eyecup or has anyone out there actually removed the fold down bit permanently - Removing the rubber element forever from my pride and joy seems a little excessive, or is there a more simple explanation that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Paul W

Paul,

I have the older model AT80-HD and 20-60x Zoom locking eyepiece. I am looking at the same issue as you regarding the rubber eyecup on the eyepiece. I spoke with someone at Swarovski this morning, and they said that on the older zoom eyepieces, the rubber eyecup is glued on. Therefore, if you can remove it, you probably won't be able to get it back on. I'm waiting for a supervisor to call and confirm this information.

I was actually looking at getting one of the Spidertech adapters, but they insist that the eyecup be removed. With that in mind, I think I'm going to get an EagleEye Digimount Adapter instead. I would consider the L.C.E. adapter, but I want more flexibility, and can get that with the Digimount.

You can remove the eyecup on the newer Swaro zoom eyepieces (for the ATS series scopes).

I think that you can simply fold back the eyecups with several adapters on the market, but you need to be aware that the camera lens will be slightly farther from the eyepiece (approximately 2mm for the older Swaro zoom) which will increase the likelihood of vignetting, but would still be quite workable.

I hope this information helps.

Mark

Hi Paul,
You could look in warehouseexpress.com, they have a compatability chart for which adaptor to get for which scope digi-camera you have (under digiscoping). You could also email EagleEye.There e-mail address is:[email protected]. Hope this helps you out.

I use the Eagle eye adapter,i find the problem with this adapter is it is difficult to centralize,plus its got 4 screws to tighten. My advise is try the LCE adapter half the price works better. I think this is the one Andy Bright uses on the Swarovski with zoom.

In almost all cases you do need to unscrew the eyecup from the eypiece to fit an adapter, this is a pain as the thread on the swaro seems to go on forever. The easiest eyepieces are those with pull-off/push on rubber eyecups like those on the old Kowas.

I've come to a compromise with my 20-60 eyecup in that I unscrew it off but put it back on backwards, it grips to the eyepiece reasonably well and gives you rubber against the eye when looking through it... although walking through undergrowth with the eyecup on in this manner is asking for trouble...it's likely to come of without too much effort and be lost for good.

From my pm's with Mark, his particular 20-60 eyecup doesn't seem to unscrew like most of them.

Must admit I do like the L.C.E. adapter, it's a custom fit tube with next to no room between adapter walls and the eyepiece for any wobble and just one screw is enough to secure the camera to the eyepiece..... small, lightweight, simple, cheap and very rapid in attaching it (and camera) to the scope.
Regards,
Andy

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I think I will opt for the LCE adapter as recommended by most people.

Mark,

The rubber eyecup on my zoom definitely screws off so I hope you get a satisfactory response from Swarovski regarding your 'glued on' rubber eyepiece.

Andy,

Thanks for the tip regarding placing the rubber eyecup on bacwards. Have tried it in the comfort of my own home and it seems to work quite well but I take your warning that when in the field extra care will be required or it could be lost forever.

Again - thanks to all who replied, but it looks like being the LCE adapter for me!

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

I spoke with a management person from Swarovski this morning (he called me), and he confirmed that the eyecup should screw off. He asked me to send my eyepiece in to them, and they will either repair it or send me a new one, so I will be functional at some point in the near future. This is good timing since it is mid-winter in Michigan and I'm not likely to get out much right now.

PaulW said:
Mark,

The rubber eyecup on my zoom definitely screws off so I hope you get a satisfactory response from Swarovski regarding your 'glued on' rubber eyepiece.
Paul

The Swarovski adaptor is an excellent piece of kit and reduces the vignetting, given by other adaptors, quite dramatically.

Chris

Chris. I Dont think the Swarovski adaptor fits the old eyepieces only the ATS or STS scopes it does look a very good adaptor

Graham,

When I spoke to the person from Swarovski, he told me that the Swarovski adapter (DCA) fits the new S-type eyepieces. It does not matter whether you use the old AT/ST scopes or the new ATS/STS scopes, only that you use the newer eyepieces. The newer eyepieces will work with the older scopes, they just won't lock into place.

Mark

Has anyone got hold of the Swaro adaptor - news of which was released before Xmas? it holds the camera on a swinging bracket rather than using a tube style adaptor. It seemed from the photo's that it would have the advatage of allowing you to locate the bird and use the scope normally then instantly swing down the camera for a shot.

Elizabeth/Doug,

Have had a look at the new Swaro bracket but it appears that it will only fit the new ATS/STS scopes. Then again, at £250 quid I don't suppose I would have considered it as a realistic option for long!

Surely this will be out of the price range of all but the keenest of digiscopers - Then again perhaps Swarovski think we are all barking mad and will be flooding them with requests for the latest must have accessory.

It will be interesting to follow developments over the next few months.

Paul W

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back