• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (2 Viewers)

Excellent Mike! Well, I'm not a big fan of illustrative work, so while the LO is fab .... yeah ... take it away with the Lapwing! The snipe though, hmm .. one of my favorite species ... so .... oh dunno ... LOVE 'EM ALL!

Dearie me, when was the last time I picked up a brush ....depressingly busy with work and uni (and birding ;))

these two pic have cheered me up no end, after a horribe afternoon teling the kids that they're naughty to make so much noise when I'm ill.

sounds like our man in France should be spending less time creeping up walls and more time looking for Wallcreepers for his mates ;)

Just seen your Snipe Mike! Blimey! They certainly put mine to shame! Can you wait till mine disappear first before you show these? Thanks mate! Cheers from Steve.

Whilst I love the snipe already for many reasons, an artist is never happy being told their work is great if they themselves are not happy with it. Is it possible that what you don't like is the left hand snipe? Perhaps because the darks of the snipe are against a dark background, and the lights are against the light water? It isn't a problem to me, and I've had to search to deliberately find things that may displease the painter. But perhaps keeping the bird against either water or grass may help? In any case, a wonderful piece which sadly reminds me I haven't seen a snipe for a few years now, they really are one of my top ten favourite birds, and this picture has all of that snipey goodness that makes them so attractive to me.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Actually Nick I like the left hand bird, it's the right hand one that I'm not so keen on, don't know why exactly. Lost edges dont worry me, especially with a bird like snipe which are so well camouflaged. I really struggled with the grass/sedge and it still doesn't have the look I was after, probably because I've overworked it so much.

They are great birds aren't they, I had the pleasure of spending twenty or thirty minutes with one at Elmley last year. He sat by the road about two metres from me and seemed totally relaxed, he was around for a good few weeks but only really close the one time and it was probably one of the best encounters I've ever had with any wild bird because it seemed so intimate. These birds came from the sketches that I made at the time (I think I posted some of them on my 2007 sketchpad thread) and this was one that I painted up as soon as I got home that day.

Mike

Attachments

• acr snipe.jpg
    acr snipe.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 233
I can't see even the slightest problem with the right hand bird, I guess it must be the artist sees it differently to the viewer. Very much enjoying all this snipey stuff at the moment, this painted up sketch is sublime, seriously good snipe!

Thanks for the comments folks.

Actually Nick I like the left hand bird, it's the right hand one that I'm not so keen on, don't know why exactly.

Mike

If it is the right hand bird of the pair that's niggling away at you- maybe its that its showing a lot of exposed wing.
I find when I'm on waders thta it is tempting to put in a few rows of visible wing coverts when actually there's often very little wing visible between flank feathers and scaps.

So maybe your niggle would disappear or reduce if chest and flank feathers overlapped the wing more on the right hand side of the bird - as shown in your single snipe just above, which is brill...

Just musing, as ever.

OK, back to what I know best. I'm always sketching sparrows in the cotoneaster and on the feeders in my garden, so I figured it was about time for a couple of paintings.

Both 6"x4" they've been done as a pair to show just how lovely little brown birds that we take for granted really are. I hope I've done them justice.

Mike

Attachments

• male.jpg
    male.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 226
  • female.jpg
    female.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 197
you've done more than do them justice, these are simply superb, simple subjects treated in a simple way equals simply beautiful work.

Hey Mike...

Really like the second sparrow painting...

Strange but I've been contemplating painting a whole series of garden birds for my own area...

I love it when someone sees a painting then comes back later on to tell you they just saw that bird
exactly like it was in your painting
lol

For me the whole point is to encourage people to see what's around them and hopefully to care whether it exists or not...

After seeing your wonderful sparrow pair - I think I'll go for it. Thanks!

Cheers :)
Chris

As mentioned in the gallery Mike - simple; beautifully illuminated; intimately seen portraits. Love them both.
And all the best Chris- look forward to seeing them as they materialise.

Thanks for the comments on the spuggies folks, I've got a larger painting in mind an some day it'll get done!

Tim mentioned that it's funny how, when you've got other things you should be doing, it's easy to get distracted; Having just been commissioned to paint a pheasant I decided to paint a peregrine instead. Went over to Elmley on saturday morning to be greeted by fantastic, low, early morning, winter sun and wall to wall lapwings. But I resisted the urge and walked out to the first hide. In front of the hide there were lots of wigeon and teal roosting on the mud, the sun so strongly reflecting off the water that any detailed study was difficult. I didn't mind though because about a mile and a half away sat a female peregrine, she sat still mostly with occasional preening creating some interesting shapes. She was joined by the male who settled partially hidden about three metres from her. Typically, while I glanced away from the scope, she took off and I picked her up with the bins as she briefly gave a herring gull a bit of a telling off and, no doubt, a bit of a scare, but I don't think it was a serious hunting attempt. Once she'd had her fun she perched on the mud that the reserve wardens have dredged from the scrapes, luckily for me a bit closer (still about a mile though!). I was able to make a slightly more detailed sketch before time caught up with me and I had to tear myself away. I found that she had commanded my attention even though she was such a long way off and when I returned home she just had to be painted, so out came the blobby brushes again.

I had very limited time on sunday so the lapwings proved irrisitable again.

Mike

Attachments

• peresktch1.jpg
    peresktch1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 194
  • peresktch2.jpg
    peresktch2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 198
  • elmleypere.jpg
    elmleypere.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 244
  • lapsktch.jpg
    lapsktch.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 3lapsktch.jpg
    3lapsktch.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
A seminal piece this one Mike - really pushes the boat out. From start to finish - drawings to colour piece - smacks of quality. Fab.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back