• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bahrain bunting? (1 Viewer)

Looks like a female Weaver of some sort. Don't know if any such is indiginous to the area or if it would be an escape (if that is indeed what it is).

James

Fair Islander said:
Have you considered Rock Sparrow?
Yes but the picture in my field guide does not show as much yellow as the bird I photographed. It's worth considering.

Hi Fair Islander

not convinced the bird pictured in your link is a Rock Sparrow - should show eg. pale-tipped dark under tail coverts, much longer primary projection, dark bill with yellowish base to lower mandible, pale tips to tail feathers. I suspect your link shows another female Weaver!

James

JWN Andrewes said:
Hi Fair Islander

not convinced the bird pictured in your link is a Rock Sparrow - should show eg. pale-tipped dark under tail coverts, much longer primary projection, dark bill with yellowish base to lower mandible, pale tips to tail feathers. I suspect your link shows another female Weaver!

James

I think James is right.

JWN Andrewes said:
Hi Fair Islander

James

James, yes, you're absolutely right - looking at it again a little more carefully there are quite a few things wrong for Rock Sparrow - also a good lesson learnt in not to trust everything on the web being labelled correctly.

I've just found out that the Prime Minister of Bahrain has an island just off the coast from the farm where the picture was taken and he has hundreds of varieties of birds flying freely. With the recent winds, it's possible some have reached the mainland.

Any idea of species? So that when one turns up here as a first for the UK we might have some idea where it came from!

TWM said:
Any idea of species? So that when one turns up here as a first for the UK we might have some idea where it came from!
Sorry I don't but I know a man who might know. If I see him today, I'll ask.

TWM said:
I spoke to the man who knows and he says there are about 50 species but he does not know what they are.

There's only one wild species of weaver that breeds in Arabia and that is Ruppel's Weaver. I saw them many times in Jeddah, as they are common from the Hejaz, down to the Yemen, along the coastal plain. They also occur in Oman and some birds have established colonies in Riyadh.

It isn't that species, as the females basically lack a supercilium, and just have a pale yellowish wash to the otherwise buffy breast, with a light pink bill, with the mantle buffy with brown streaks, a buff rump, darker brown wings and tail.

The only other species that I know of that might fit the bill...is Streaked Weaver...which has established colonies from escapes in Egypt and Dubai..see pics below

http://www.pbase.com/clive_temple/image/68906619

However, knowing diddly squat about the large number of African species, except that the females are all pretty similar.. can't be sure it is that species so have to leave it up to the experts.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back