• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

Dan

Reference your recent visit to Upton Warren. Would you have benefited from having one of these (see attachment) pre-visit?

SJV

Attachments

• Guide.pdf
    467.6 KB · Views: 717
I downloaded some more weather data this morning. Dave Jackson (on his first day of a fortnight off) was in the Avocet hide accompanied (figuratively speaking) by 10 Avocets. Saw both Sedge and Reed Warblers in the 1◦’clock main channel from the Hen Pool hide, but I need to hone my reaction times before images are forthcoming.

Here are a couple of graphs from the data to date. I guess the last one shows why Worcestershire has just been included as a drought area...

Attachments

• temperature01-16_4_12excel.jpg
    temperature01-16_4_12excel.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 69
  • wind01-16_4_12.jpg
    wind01-16_4_12.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 70
  • rain01-16_4_12.jpg
    rain01-16_4_12.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Simon,

Yes that would have been very usefull prior to arriving. I did pick one up the moors pool when i arrived,
but yes definately usefull for people to have before visiting.

Regards,

Dan

Thanks, Dan. Noted.

Just perusing the data and in the dark hours (14/15 March) preceding the first 2 LRPs arriving, there was negligible wind (no gust >1.1m/s) but what there was was Southerly.
When the Ruff appeared the wind overnight on (1/2 April) was again negligible (again, no gust >1.1m/s) but North or North Westerly

Last edited:
Bit of a belated post I know but spent an enjoyable (but rather chilly) few hours at the flashes on Saturday. Is it me or has the downstairs part of the hide got a chiller unit built in?;)

Sadly missed the Yellow Wagtail (I always seem to) Nothing much to add apart from this Linnet, one of five that briefly passed through.

Nice chatting to Wheatearlp and Forgetful elephant, keep up the good work guys.:clap:

Attachments

• Linnet forum.jpg
    Linnet forum.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 111
Bit of a belated post I know but spent an enjoyable (but rather chilly) few hours at the flashes on Saturday. Is it me or has the downstairs part of the hide got a chiller unit built in?;)

Sadly missed the Yellow Wagtail (I always seem to) Nothing much to add apart from this Linnet, one of five that briefly passed through.

Nice chatting to Wheatearlp and Forgetful elephant, keep up the good work guys.:clap:

Stonking Linnet picture - shows what the ground floor can produce for photographers with a more favourable angle than has traditionally been available. Think the chill factor can be attributted to the unique well-ventilated design ....

Thanks, Dan. Noted.

Just perusing the data and in the dark hours (14/15 March) preceding the first 2 LRPs arriving, there was negligible wind (no gust >1.1m/s) but what there was was Southerly.
When the Ruff appeared the wind overnight on (1/2 April) was again negligible (again, no gust >1.1m/s) but North or North Westerly

Hi Sy,

I downloaded the back-up data you sent me, as you requested earlier.
Also, I took the liberty of doing a bit of analysis of the wind direction for the period you've monitored so far - see pie chart below:

From this it can be seen that winds generally considered unproductive for spring migration (northerly elements and straight westerlies) have predominated (60%) cf. generally-held more productive winds with southerly elements and straight easterlies (40%). Cheers.

Attachments

• UW Wind Direction 4th March - 16th April.jpg
    UW Wind Direction 4th March - 16th April.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Stonking Linnet picture - shows what the ground floor can produce for photographers with a more favourable angle than has traditionally been available. Think the chill factor can be attributted to the unique well-ventilated design ....

Cheers Phil, despite the new hides well documented shortcomings, the ground floor is certainly an asset.

Hi Sy, ...Also, I took the liberty of doing a bit of analysis of the wind direction for the period you've monitored so far - see pi chart below:

From this it can be seen that winds generally considered unproductive for spring migration (northerly elements and straight westerlies) have predominated (60%) cf. generally-held more productive winds with southerly elements and straight easterlies (40%). Cheers.

Dave, I've been trying to depict this very data since I started logging. I kinda hoped you'd step up to the mark - thanks. Can you tell/show me what/how to do it?

BTW I've amended the way that the Temp is shown _I'll post a graph tomorrow). I wanted to show min and max by day. I can now and I can add a polynomial too. Now if that doesn't get your vote, nothing will!

Last edited:

Cracking Linnet pic CB. Good to chat.

Rob

Passage Waders

One notable feature of the year so far is the lack of passage waders*. To date we have only had three: Knot (24th January), Ringed Plover (16th March) and Ruff (2nd April). In comparison the last 5 years have produced the following by today's date:

2011 - 16 (Ringed Plover 1, Dunlin 4, Black-tailed Godwit 11)
2010 - 12 (Ringed Plover 1, Dunlin 3, Black-tailed Godwit 7, Greenshank 1)
2009 - 5 (Ringed Plover 1, Dunlin 2, Whimbrel 2
2008 - 2 (Black-tailed Godwit 1, Ringed Plover 1)
2007 - 9 (Ringed Plover 5, Black-tailed Godwit 2, Dunlin 2)

* the above analysis excludes LRP, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Golden Plover, Avocet, Green Sand and Common Sand)

Hopefully the predominately northerly / westerly winds have surpressed any movement rather than a far more fundamental issue with the availability of food at the Flashes following last year's drought.

Nothing really to add to the notes in the hide books from today except: Jay flew across N. Moors & Kestrel caught a vole? in the field next to the car park & flew off across the N. Moors with it. Very poor pics of Kestrel. Great Crested Grebes fighting.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB9809.jpg
    _ROB9809.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 90
  • _ROB9800.jpg
    _ROB9800.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 85
  • _ROB9716 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9716 - Version 2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 102

Users who are viewing this thread