• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300 f4 AFS (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Dear all,

With my continuing research to help me make a decision as to whether to buy the 300f4 AFS, I've seen a few reports about the tripod collar being very flimsy, resulting in noticeable camera shake when mounted on a tripod.

Since the problem was first reported, I think Nikon may have modified the mount, but I don't know whether this has completely solved the problem. Can anyone with this lens comment on this?

I'm also interested in opinions when used off-tripod. Is the lens comfortable to use for in flight shots?

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin, all 3 shots I posted on BF today were taken with a 300/4 and a 1.4 actually all the past months shots were taken this way, all either handheld or mainly resting on a bean bag, there are reports of a flimsy mount but I think these have been blown out of proportion, IMHO its as solid as any mount on a lens of this type. Its a cracking lens you won't be disappointed and is a joy to use on a monopod.
Happy to discuss any of my images taken in the last month and if your passing through Suffolk you could give mine a go.
Cheers

Additional, attached is one BIF shot I took yesterday, with the 300/4 and a 1.4, hand held, its not the best shot but demonstrate that the unit is happily used handheld and a few other recent shots
For BIF shots its very comfortable in hand with or without the 1.4 (and you can use the 1.7 with it as well)

Attachments

• greylag-in-flight.jpg
    greylag-in-flight.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 125
  • chiffchaff-bf.jpg
    chiffchaff-bf.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 130
  • coot-bf.jpg
    coot-bf.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 83
  • pied-wagtail-bf.jpg
    pied-wagtail-bf.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 106
  • kingfisher-1-bf.jpg
    kingfisher-1-bf.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I did see a comment on Bjorns website that the later models did have an improved mount / foot, having not seen the early ones I can't comment, mine is fine on a tripod
thanks

Unless you're taking photo's of extremely slow moving or static objects I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using the 300f4 AFS for bird photography 99% of the time you'll be shooting at speeds of between 1/500 and 1/2500. At these speeds you won't get any camera shake from the lens collar.

Unless you're taking photo's of extremely slow moving or static objects I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using the 300f4 AFS for bird photography 99% of the time you'll be shooting at speeds of between 1/500 and 1/2500. At these speeds you won't get any camera shake from the lens collar.

A fair point!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back