• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400 mm ? (1 Viewer)

The heavier the better! The Oly 75-300 is so light it is very hard to hold steady and that means more work for the IBIS.

The heavier the better! The Oly 75-300 is so light it is very hard to hold steady and that means more work for the IBIS.

In my mind there is also an opposite feeling: I do not want to carry more weight around than I have to. These two has to be balanced in a lens before I will purchase it. If both of the new lenses go too heavy, then I will have to stay with my current lens. If one is heavy and the other light, then I will have a difficult time choosing the heavy one.

Niels

In my mind there is also an opposite feeling: I do not want to carry more weight around than I have to. These two has to be balanced in a lens before I will purchase it. If both of the new lenses go too heavy, then I will have to stay with my current lens. If one is heavy and the other light, then I will have a difficult time choosing the heavy one.

Niels

Agreed. If heavy is what you want there are plenty of DSLR lenses that could double as boat anchors to choose from. The point of m4/3, at least in my mind, is being lighter and smaller without sacrificing much in the way of image quality.

I meant what I said only in terms of the effectiveness of the IBIS. There, the heavier the better. Now, if you are talking about my aging back....;)

There were a couple of new images on 43rumours today. One showed the PL100-400 to be ever so slightly smaller than the canon 70-200. I hope that also puts an upper limit to how heavy the new lens can be? the Canon is 1,490 grams = 2.9 pounds according to amazon.

Niels

There were a couple of new images on 43rumours today. One showed the PL100-400 to be ever so slightly smaller than the canon 70-200. I hope that also puts an upper limit to how heavy the new lens can be? the Canon is 1,490 grams = 2.9 pounds according to amazon.

Niels

Golly, I hope it's not that heavy. The Canon L 100-400mm is only 1380g. I can't believe it'll be over the 1kg mark…at least, I hope it won't be ;)

New pictures of it, and extended :

100-400-700x701.png

I wonder if the hood is in these pictures, it would be a fixed sliding hood ?
That would be nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back