• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Safari Feb or March 2013 (2 Viewers)

Certainly if you know Kruger, you might have more success in finding certain animals. Some of us may be able to give you advice in this respect if you diecide to go this route, but I suggest that this is done by a PM as the giving out of information as to the presence of certain species is becoming of increasing sensitivity here due to the poaching as you can probably appreciate. You can also have a look on the SANParks website (www.sanparks.org) and go to Interact then to Forums where you can select your subject matter. you will see plenty of photos to show you what is seen and there are dedicated threads for different species. Also descriptions of all camps. If you should decide to include Kruger i can give you further info if you need it.

thanks Sal

Certainly if you know Kruger, you might have more success in finding certain animals. Some of us may be able to give you advice in this respect if you diecide to go this route, but I suggest that this is done by a PM as the giving out of information as to the presence of certain species is becoming of increasing sensitivity here due to the poaching as you can probably appreciate. You can also have a look on the SANParks website (www.sanparks.org) and go to Interact then to Forums where you can select your subject matter. you will see plenty of photos to show you what is seen and there are dedicated threads for different species. Also descriptions of all camps. If you should decide to include Kruger i can give you further info if you need it.

Thanks - having look at the gallery of shame I don't think a self drive is what I am looking.

I take your point. However, we generally find that we don't see those scenes as often as it would appear that they exist. I think, bearing in mind what you are after, you would probably be better served in a private reserve. Yes it is possible to drive from one to another. Yes, you have a very good chance of seeing leopard in Sabi Sands. There are several game lodges here to choose from. You are not permitted to self-drive from any of the lodges. The only thing we did not see there were cheetah, but others have seen them. We had magnificent leopard sightings.

I take your point. However, we generally find that we don't see those scenes as often as it would appear that they exist. I think, bearing in mind what you are after, you would probably be better served in a private reserve. Yes it is possible to drive from one to another. Yes, you have a very good chance of seeing leopard in Sabi Sands. There are several game lodges here to choose from. You are not permitted to self-drive from any of the lodges. The only thing we did not see there were cheetah, but others have seen them. We had magnificent leopard sightings.

Thanks Sal - I appreciate the time taken to respond.

So what you are saying it is possible to drive between lodges on private reserves but not from the lodges on private reserves - so you have to book onto their game drives.

So what you are saying it is possible to drive between lodges on private reserves but not from the lodges on private reserves - so you have to book onto their game drives.

This is correct - you can only drive to the lodge, but not go on game drives yourself. I am not familiar with the private reserves, but I think generally you can not drive from lodge to lodge through the reserves either - you drive to the lodge, stay, then leave and would enter another private reserve through theri entrance. I might be wrong here however.

Note however, it is completely possible to visit parts of even Kruger, the most visited of all RSA parks, without seeing other tourists for periods - particularly if you choose the north for the park and don't go when RSA schools are on holiday. Even more so for Kgaladai, even though the road network here is far more limited. Onthe private reserves, yes they might get you to animals on your own, but you are also tied to however long the game drive is, and you will not be alone. Self driving, you can be out morning to evening, settle yourself at a key spot and just sit and wait, or slowly wander as you want.

Last edited:
At the end of the day however, the choice of guided in a private reserve or self-drive in the national parks is down to how much money you have and your personal desire of approach. Even if they paid me, I would not wish to go on a guided trip, I like nothing more than to go out and search for the stuff, this being the excitement for me. For others, the skill and dedication of the guides will make the holiday a fantastic experience. Whichever you choose, RSA will not disappoint.

This is correct - you can only drive to the lodge, but not go on game drives yourself. I am not familiar with the private reserves, but I think generally you can not drive from lodge to lodge through the reserves either - you drive to the lodge, stay, then leave and would enter another private reserve through theri entrance. I might be wrong here however.

Note however, it is completely possible to visit parts of even Kruger, the most visited of all RSA parks, without seeing other tourists for periods - particularly if you choose the north for the park and don't go when RSA schools are on holiday. Even more so for Kgaladai, even though the road network here is far more limited. Onthe private reserves, yes they might get you to animals on your own, but you are also tied to however long the game drive is, and you will not be alone. Self driving, you can be out morning to evening, settle yourself at a key spot and just sit and wait, or slowly wander as you want.

Agreed 100%. Kruger Park is supposed to be the size of Wales, or some such statistic. There is no need to be swamped by the madding crowd if you prefer otherwise. Likewise Kgalagadi is not usually too crowded, simply because it is relatively isolated. It is good for game viewing, particularly cats, and if you stay clear of the rainy season there is not a whole lot of vegetation for the animals to hide behind. On our last visit, we scored Lion, Cheetah and African Wild Cat, Spotted Hyaena and Cape Fox, along with some avian specials like Burchell's Courser, Double-banded Courser, as well as Pygmy, Lanner and Red-necked Falcons. Just avoid school holiday times, and you should have no problems.
It is up to you, Marcus, and entirely a matter of your preference and budget. Should you self-drive, you should print out that check-list for animal spotting I referred you to in #16 in the previous page of this thread. It may help you to locate your subjects a little more easily.
Best wishes,
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Sal - I appreciate the time taken to respond.

it depends on the way a particular area is run and I suggest that you contact the ones you are interested in to find out. I think Jos is probably right in that many of the roads in the private areas cannot be driven on by private vehicles. This is partly to reduce environmental stress and partly so as not to spoil the client's viewing. Thus you may find you have to drive back to the gate and take a set route. In some, such as Nambiti, there is a dedicated parking at the main gate and you are picked up by the lodge's own vehicle To me there is little point in driving from lodge to lodge on one private reserve anyway. Rather choose one and then go to another reserve in a different region which may be able to offer something else.

I agree with Dave - the North of Kruger is generally much quieter, but the central area around Satara gives you your best chance of cats if your time is limited. But if you go to Kalagadi, you should see most of the cats there!

I think one carefully needs to understand exactly what you are after here Marcus. There are plenty of places to see wildlife and the regular parks like Kruger are as good a place as any to do that. You will see plenty of wildlife in those parks and, if you are just interested in seeing the animals, then you can’t really do much better than a self-drive in those parks. You will get plenty of opportunities to aim your camera at wildlife here, but if you are happy to walk away with point-and-shoot type images for the most part, then look no further. The main “problem”, photographically speaking, with these parks is that you are restricted to your car and a limited network of roads. In the private reserves, they roads are less of an issue and the game vehicles will more often than not drive off the roads to give you a better view of the subject. If you get a good guide in the private reserves who is catering for your specific needs, they will know how to place the vehicle to provide you with the best possible photographic opportunity. They understand the need to have the light in the right place (you can tell them if you want your subject lit from the front or you want side light or back lighting depending on the mood you are trying to create), the need for a clean, uncluttered background as well as an uncluttered foreground without those pesky blades of grass or twigs in front of the subject, etc. Unfortunately, as has already been mentioned, there is a premium to be paid to get these opportunities.

So, really, you just need to decide what exactly your main aim is. Is it just seeing the wildlife and getting reasonable shots of them or do you want to walk away with the potential of some seriously great wildlife shots (from a technical photographic point of view).

Anyway, you are bound to get lots more advice here still. I already mentioned Motswari as a great place to try for Leopard shots – if you do go there, you could not do much better than asking for Chad Cocking as your guide. Chad is a top notch wildlife photographer in his own right and there are few people that understand how to get the best possible shots of those animals in that area than he does. Here is a link to some of Chad’s work - http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=3569&username=chad-cocking. If this is the kind of wildlife photography that you are wanting to achieve, then, in my opinion, a private reserve is the way to go without a doubt.

Some great advice here Marcus! I'm sure you will have no problem finding your own wildlife on a self drive basis. Send me a PM or give me a call if you need any help with general tourist questions or if I can help in any other way (like carry your equipment!).

Hi

- are Motswiri and Motswari different places?

Thanks

Yes, Motswiri is in the North-west Province near Madikwe and Motswari is in the Lowveld and is part of the Timbavati area...

Of course, if you bring Mike with you, that throws a whole different light on things... I still owe him a few animals, so I may have to join you... :eek!:

Okay so I have an update.

I have booked a private vehicle for a week in the Masai Mara. Sure its expensive but I think its the only way I would happy and from experiences of lots of other photographers most likely to get what I want. This is the last week in Feb.

So that leaves me the following still to plan.

------

1. A day in the Cape plus some Penguin action - am staying near Hermanes so that should be straightforward. Any suggestions?
2. A pelagic. I have been recommended Zest for birds. Does anyone know the schedule for 013. Do they run in March. I suspect Trevor can help ;)
3. A short Safari break with my OH. After the wedding we want to spend two or three days doing a more normal tourist style safari (of course photo opps not spurned!). I am thinking a lodge for a few days but would welcome suggestions? Is it realistic to drive from the Cape or is is best to fly, bearing in mind we are limited on time? Targets I suppose would be Leopard, or anything we are likely to struggle with in MM.

Thanks.

Where to go for your family safari depends on a couple of factors.

Firstly (and apart from Leopard) do you want to see the large iconic African mammals such as The Big Five? There are game parks within a short drive of Cape Town that offer all the large game in easy viewing conditions. Most animals are introduced and the enclosures are relatively small. They are not everyone's cup of tea (certainly not mine, and I dare say not yours) but they will give the Missus a chance to see some animals (presuming she is not accompanying you on your MM safari).

If you want to see The Big Five in much wilder conditions then you'll need to fly to Kruger or a similar reserve. I'll leave others to advise you on which ones. Driving to any of them would waste far too much time in such a short period.

For general wildlife and birding opportunities you could just spend your three days in the Cape Town area. National Parks such as Cape Point and West Coast will provide plenty of different birds, reptiles, antelopes, baboons and various small mammals. You may even come across a Caracal if you're lucky. You can also combine birding with general touristy stuff and visit the botanical gardens etc.

If you want to drive a little further afield I can recommend the Karoo National Park where they have recently reintroduced Black Rhino and Lion. Much easier to see are two species of zebra and a wide range of antelope.

Okay so I have an update.

I have booked a private vehicle for a week in the Masai Mara. Sure its expensive but I think its the only way I would happy and from experiences of lots of other photographers most likely to get what I want. This is the last week in Feb.

So that leaves me the following still to plan.

------

1. A day in the Cape plus some Penguin action - am staying near Hermanes so that should be straightforward. Any suggestions?
2. A pelagic. I have been recommended Zest for birds. Does anyone know the schedule for 013. Do they run in March. I suspect Trevor can help ;)
3. A short Safari break with my OH. After the wedding we want to spend two or three days doing a more normal tourist style safari (of course photo opps not spurned!). I am thinking a lodge for a few days but would welcome suggestions? Is it realistic to drive from the Cape or is is best to fly, bearing in mind we are limited on time? Targets I suppose would be Leopard, or anything we are likely to struggle with in MM.

Thanks.

I can't advise you on 1 or 2 but I'm sure Trevor or Dave can. Re the safari break it depends so much on what you want. If you go to a lodge somewhere you will have luxury and all your meals and be driven. There are some good concession lodges in Kruger such as Singita , Lukumbi, Tinga, Jocks Safari Lodge and Spa, Hamiltons Tented Camp and so on, and you can fly in to Nelspruit International airport from CapeTown. I would imagine that you could then arrange to be met there by whichever lodge you chose. If not, you could hire a vehicle. Pre-book it and it will be waiting for you at the airport. I think I have already mentioned other lodges in Sabi Sands. I don't know the Cape so well, but others do and could make some suggestions that would mean you didn't have to travel so far afield for just a few days. All of these places have the big 5 but there are never guarantees. Lodges in Sabi Sands might have the edge here as they have a very well set-up radio network and controlled drive-ins to sightings.

Thanks guy

- yes I am doing MM without the missus
- I do not want to photograph animals in enclosures
- is a guide needed for the Cape? My targets are

Ground Woodpecker
Cape Sugarbird,
Orange-breasted and Lesser Double-collared Sunbird,
Cape Rock Thrush
African Black Oystercatcher

I don't think any of the above or too tricky in the right areas?

All targets can be seen at Rooiels.....we had (eventually!) excellent views of a family of Rockjumpers there. Sugarbird and both wanted sunbirds were seen easily too along with Victorin's Warbler and the breeding Verreaux's Eagle. We only saw Cape Rock Thrush around Sani but have friends who have had them at Rooiels. Ground Woodpecker is regular there too from what I've read but the strength of the wind on our visit kinda reduced bird numbers somewhat!!
Oystercatcher was seen around the penguin colony at Boulders and at most places we stopped along the coast.

All targets can be seen at Rooiels.....we had (eventually!) excellent views of a family of Rockjumpers there. Sugarbird and both wanted sunbirds were seen easily too along with Victorin's Warbler and the breeding Verreaux's Eagle. We only saw Cape Rock Thrush around Sani but have friends who have had them at Rooiels. Ground Woodpecker is regular there too from what I've read but the strength of the wind on our visit kinda reduced bird numbers somewhat!!
Oystercatcher was seen around the penguin colony at Boulders and at most places we stopped along the coast.

Thanks I just found this link with a handy speices map too !

Cheers

vhttp://www.getbirding.com/?p=1998

Marcus, let me know how you get on in the Mara, as I will be going later in the year in October. I have hired a private vehicle at Kicheche for a week

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back