• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TAMRAC EXPEDITION 4 anyone tried this rucksack? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I'm looking for a rucksack but can't afford the Lowenpro. The Tamrac seems OK from the website.
I need it to take Canon 40D + 100-400 with 1.4 TC. The overall length of this kit is 285mm (with lensehood reversed) but the bag is advertised as only 280mm deep. I imagine it will give a bit-any advise appreciated.

I've not used this bag but have recently got an Expedition 8 and am very happy with it. The moveable dividers make it very easy to keep all your gear safe and secure and the bag seems very well made. The harness is excellent and it sits very nicely on my back, I can happily carry it for a full days birding. There is a bit of movement in it, so if you don't fill it to the side I'm sure you'll be able to egde a bit out at the end... that said I'd be inclided to get the next one up. Personally I'd rather not have to squeeze my gear into the bag.

I've not used this bag but have recently got an Expedition 8 and am very happy with it. The moveable dividers make it very easy to keep all your gear safe and secure and the bag seems very well made. The harness is excellent and it sits very nicely on my back, I can happily carry it for a full days birding. There is a bit of movement in it, so if you don't fill it to the side I'm sure you'll be able to egde a bit out at the end... that said I'd be inclided to get the next one up. Personally I'd rather not have to squeeze my gear into the bag.

Thanks Postcard. I've taken note of your advice and gone for the Expedition 5 which is 30mm wider and 60mm deeper.
Just a note for anyone trying to save money with a cheap rucksack-DONT!! A couple of days ago the zip simply split open while on my back-the camera with 100-400 fell straight out. Fortunately I was on grass so it 'bounced' and everything still works fine but it could easily have been a disaster.

Just a note for anyone trying to save money with a cheap rucksack-DONT!! A couple of days ago the zip simply split open while on my back-the camera with 100-400 fell straight out. Fortunately I was on grass so it 'bounced' and everything still works fine but it could easily have been a disaster.

I don't know about the Tamrac 5, but the 7 & 8 both have a couple of compressions straps. It's worth getting into the habit of fastening them since they will hold the case closed even if the zip goes.

Bill

This is just for information if anyone else is looking for a new bag. I got the TAMRAC 5 and it looks to be very well made. It takes the 20D with 100-400 attached (lense hood inverted) and has room for lots of other cameras/lenses if separate.
It has room for a lightweight jacket.
No space for a drinks bottle although you can purchase TAMRAC'S own carrier as an add on
All in all I would recommend the make as it's a good solid bag at what seems to be 1/3rd of the Lowenpro price.
Thanks Postcard & Watts for your input

Has anyone used a Tamrac backpack to carry a full-size tripod? The photos show smaller tripods. Using the external dimensions, it's clear a large tripod will extend quite a bit above the backpack.

I'm curious as to how others deal with toting a spotting scope plus large tripod, as well as binocs, etc for a full day.

I currently use a laptop bag for the scope, binocs, books and snacks on one shoulder, and the tripod bag slung over the other. Workable for 8 hours, but there has to be a more ergonomic way.

Hi there ,I have the TAMRAC 6 and i use a full tripod ,The bag with the tripod works pretty well and i also use it to carry my scope and dslr .
I found the bag to be really good for the money

Cheers
Jen

Last edited:
Hi there ,I have the TAMRAC 6 and i use a full tripod ,The bag with the tripod works pretty well and i also use it to carry my scope and dslr .
I found the bag to be really good for the money

Cheers
Jen

Jen...do you feel the six has enough room for all your camera gear and laptop too,r ight? Would it fit well under an airplane seat?... Do you have room to put other little things such as a magazine or candy bars etc if you travel with it? thanks, jim

Hi Jim

I think you maybe ok to get it on a plane , but i wouldnt want to put it under the seat as it becomes a bit bauky ,I have had a laptop ,500m lens,dslr binos ipod and food and travel documents and still had room for other things.

How far did you want to travel with it ?as after a while i find my shoulders hurt ,but that more to do with the weight of everything i am carrying .

Kind regards
Jen

Hi Jim

I think you maybe ok to get it on a plane , but i wouldnt want to put it under the seat as it becomes a bit bauky ,I have had a laptop ,500m lens,dslr binos ipod and food and travel documents and still had room for other things.

How far did you want to travel with it ?as after a while i find my shoulders hurt ,but that more to do with the weight of everything i am carrying .

Kind regards
Jen

Jen...I will not have a full size laptop....just a netbook of sorts. But it has to padded and the Expedition allows for that. I would travel quite along ways and I usually get the aisle seat which is a bit smaller than underneath the other seats. I am looking at expedition 5 at the moment just because it is a bit smaller than the others above it.

Either way, traveling is a complete bugger but if I can save a bag (laptop and camera items all in one bag) I free up at least one shoulder.... jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back