• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twin Cities Osprey Project (1 Viewer)

gymell

Here in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) we have over 50 active osprey nests thanks to the Twin Cities Osprey Project. Osprey had once been eliminated from Minnesota and this project was started back in 1984 to bring them back. Last year there were more than 90 chicks produced from those nests so it looks like the project has been a huge success. I spent some time this spring watching and photographing them. It's pretty challenging to get good shots because of the height of the nests and the distance one must keep. One thing I like about photography is the opportunity to just sit and watch for periods of time, rather than looking for a bird just to check it off a list.

I also have some photos online of the setup I used at one of the nests. It shows the stacked teleconverters, and the distance from the nest, etc.

Attachments

• o1.jpg
    o1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 91
  • o2.jpg
    o2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 95
  • o3.jpg
    o3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 89
  • o4.jpg
    o4.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 92
  • o5.jpg
    o5.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 101
Great photos, Liz. Did I do the math right - 500mm x 2x = 1000mm x 1.4 = 1400 that is some distance. I didn't see a remote, did you use one? Thanks for sharing these.

Lisa - thanks for looking. Your math is correct. I used a cable release, but even so, it's amazing how much the camera shake is amplified at that focal length!

Figured you must have used some type of remote, and you had to manually focus - something I am absolutely horrible at.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back