• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian Gull or Yellow-legged Gull? (1 Viewer)

Gorgo

Hi everybody,

is the landing gull on the picture a Caspian Gull? I accidentally discovered it by scrutinizing some gull photos. The bird was among a flock of 10-20 Yellow-legged Gulls.
Thanks for your opinons!

Markus

Attachments

• Larus.jpg
    Larus.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 255
hi markus,

always good to post date and location, best included in the title. from the plumage it's safe to say you photographed it in spring - a 2nd summer bird (3cy) and it is a yellow-legged gull in my eyes despite the thin looking bill and pale axilliaries. especially head shape and paler getting iris, yellow bare parts and no visible p10 mirror (although all these things are not excluding a caspian as single field marks!). do you have more pics of it?

cheers,

Hi,

just looked through my pics, but couldn't find one which shows the same individual. So unfortunately there are no more photos.
Sorry for the missing data: Location was Northern Croatia (adriatic seashore) and date 14 May, 2008.

Cheers,
Markus

date and location even more make it very unlikely that it is a caspian. i think you can label it as a female type 3cy michahellis.

Hi,

thanks for your replies! They have confirmed my first impression. Only the pale axillaries and especially the shape of the bill irritated me a bit (as you have also mentioned). But all in all it seems much more likely for me that it is just another Yellow-legged Gull.

Markus

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back