• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID Pallid Harrier Or 3rd-cal-year female Montagu's Harrier ? (1 Viewer)

wittmann

Location: china Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region Zhun Geer Basin

45°30'51.00"N 85°23'33.00"E

Gear:canon 350d + ef400/5.6

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 542
i would say probably pallid. in the 2nd pic of the mosaique there's a hint of a pale collar visible, secondaries on this (older than 2cy) appear darkish.

It's the first time I see this bird, but too far away.Photos can only send a point.

My reference books: collins birds guide (to the birds of BRITAIN & EUROPE) And The handbook of bird identification for EUROPE and the western Palearctic

I tend to Pallid Harrier ,but can not be sure~~~~~~~~~:-C

Another problem:is this ju Pallas's Sea-Eagle ??

place : Karamay city Reservoir date:2004-6-9 gear: 80mmscope + canon a60
The same place, same time, Caspian Tern

Attachments

• zz3.jpg
    zz3.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 193
  • 101_0102.JPG
    101_0102.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 149
  • zz1.jpg
    zz1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 150
  • zz0.jpg
    zz0.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 151
I tend to Pallid Harrier ,but can not be sure~~~~~~~~~:-C

It has five fingers on the wing tips and is thus a juvenile Hen Harrier Circus cyaneus, like Jan hinted. Pallid and Montagu's Harrier only have four fingers. Also the large white patch on the uppertail coverts points towards Hen Harrier (the smaller species have a more narrow patch), as well as the general structure.

I agree on Pallas's Fish Eagle.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back