• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

JRE

Hi all,
I've decided to take up a suggestion from Gavin Haig and start a Devon birding patch thread. If you've been out and about in Devon today, or have just heard of something good turning up down here, please post.
Also please look at Gavin's excellent thread Backwater Birding- Seaton, Devon.

Been to Fremington Pill today. Redshank numbers are building up well also a couple of Greenshank, a Grey Heron and two Little Egrets plus the usual gulls. Watched the Grey Heron trying to down an eel that it had caught, after struggling for a few minutes it gave up and flew off.

West Charleston Devon

Had a few hours at West Charleston Marsh saw 6 Grey Plover 7 Greenshank 29 Little Egret 1 Water Rail and a Kingfisher.On the way back had 2 Spotted Flycatchers and a Blackcap on the sewer beds.

hi all
haven't posted for ages so i thought i'd add this. just started going down to the river teign, by the passage house inn, after work. pretty quiet at the mo but have hi hopes for the site. i would usally go the the warren but this is birding made easy, 1 min off the a380 on the way home from work. anyway not much there a hand full of curlew, a poor lapwing all on it's own. common sand and loads of egrets and black heads. i could hear a reed bunting calling in the reeds of all places! i let you know if any thing pops up. i am a bit gutted cos i missed the pec sand 2 weeks ago. |=@|

da2m said:
hi all
haven't posted for ages so i thought i'd add this. just started going down to the river teign, by the passage house inn, after work. pretty quiet at the mo but have hi hopes for the site. i would usally go the the warren but this is birding made easy, 1 min off the a380 on the way home from work. anyway not much there a hand full of curlew, a poor lapwing all on it's own. common sand and loads of egrets and black heads. i could hear a reed bunting calling in the reeds of all places! i let you know if any thing pops up. i am a bit gutted cos i missed the pec sand 2 weeks ago. |=@|
You've got yourself a great little patch there. Been to it a few times and it just looks SOOOO good! I understand viewing it can be a bit of a prob though. Anyway, keep watching, and good luck.......

devon birding

hi devon birders

thanks for the mail Mike - seems a good idea. As the name suggests local patch is East Soar/Bolt Head, Salcombe also cover the Estuary after work etc.. again! after many years absent with kids, mortgage, house renovations.

still tripping over the Osprey & various Med Gull's on K/bridge Est.

didn't get to the Start Pt Hoopoe Perry!

OK, I'm off to Hope's Nose for a seawatch tommorow, weather looks good, HEAVY rain, and a howling southerly! I'll post when I get back, hopefully having had 3 skua species and 5 shearwaters! ;)

soareyes said:
hi devon birders

thanks for the mail Mike - seems a good idea. As the name suggests local patch is East Soar/Bolt Head, Salcombe also cover the Estuary after work etc.. again! after many years absent with kids, mortgage, house renovations.

still tripping over the Osprey & various Med Gull's on K/bridge Est.

didn't get to the Start Pt Hoopoe Perry!

Hi Soareyes, I see this is your first post so may I extend a warm welcome from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm pleased to see you have already made yourself at home

D

Hello Al,
must make a change for you tripping over Med Gulls instead of Laughing Gulls B :) B :)

Perry

Last edited:
45 Meadow Pipits south over the garden this morning. Also Grey Wag, Bullfinch, great views of a Green Woody, Sparrowhawk, GS Woody, 14 Goldfinches, and a singing Blackbird.

Last edited:
The Firecrest said:
33 Meadow Pipits south over the garden this morning. Also Grey Wag, Bullfinch, great views of a Green Woody, Sparrowhawk, GS Woody, 14 Goldfinches, and a singing Blackbird.

I don't know about other BF Members but most years I find there is a relatively common bird that I find difficult to see in Devon. Last year it was Kestrel and this year it is Green Woodpecker. Most years I see Green Woodpecker before the end of January and they are regular in my garden. Whilst I have seen several Green Woodies this year, mainly in Somerset, I am still waiting for a "Devon tick". Still there is three months to go so has anybody seen one recently in the County?. Roger

devon.birder said:
I don't know about other BF Members but most years I find there is a relatively common bird that I find difficult to see in Devon. Last year it was Kestrel and this year it is Green Woodpecker. Most years I see Green Woodpecker before the end of January and they are regular in my garden. Whilst I have seen several Green Woodies this year, mainly in Somerset, I am still waiting for a "Devon tick". Still there is three months to go so has anybody seen one recently in the County?. Roger
Hi there i see them in a wood at Whitleigh in Plymouth or on the grass just next to the woods not uncommon to see two or three at a time when they are on the grass fields eating the ants.

Did my usual bike ride to the Turf this morning.....loads of Godwit ( both sorts) and good numbers of other waders... no Osprey though.
Plenty of heavy rain, very refreshing on a bike!

devon.birder said:
Most years I see Green Woodpecker before the end of January and they are regular in my garden. Whilst I have seen several Green Woodies this year, mainly in Somerset, I am still waiting for a "Devon tick". Still there is three months to go so has anybody seen one recently in the County?. Roger
Plenty about the Axe, Roger. They just love the tramline!!!

Steve Waite said:
Plenty about the Axe, Roger. They just love the tramline!!!

Thanks Steve. Due to the Seaton Birders I must have been down to the Seaton area at least a dozen times this year but still haven't seen one. I am bound to see one before the end of the year though, aren't I?. Roger

got a phone call today saying that there was a Red Kite at around 12.15 lingering on the marldon-berry pomeroy road (on the outskirts of paignton) between the TV masts and Barton Pines...i couldn't unfortunately find it however from 12.25 onwards but could still well be in the area. ...

What???? My patch is 5 minutes away! Panic!!! Is it still around?
Oh yeah, Roger, I see Green Woodpeckers almost every day on my patch, really common.
Rather dull morning at Hope's Nose. Couldn't find somewhere I could sit and use a scope, so had to stand. 15 Gannets, 2 Razorbills, 5 Guillemots, 15 Shags, and um... nothing else!
Stover was a bit better, Marsh Tit, 9 GC Grebes, 5 Pochard. Got some great pics of young swans.

Just out of interest, what's the highest day total any of you have managed in Devon? Mine's 63, Bowling Green Marsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back