• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition for more protections for the UK's raptors. (1 Viewer)

I don't want this thread to become a debate as it will spoilt it but I will share my thoughts on the subject.

It's not an ideal solution (for a start you have to catch someone and prove them guilty of the crime which is far from easy) but it might be a step in the right direction, further steps could possibly be needed but in myl opinion there needs to be some responsibility for landowners/agents etc when these type of crimes are committed, both to discourage this type of crime but equally it would offer some protection to their employees.

I also think that gaining support for these issues helps send the message to those that are acting illegally, that their continued actions are actually likely to harm them in the long run

Nick knowles has re-tweeted, I know him through things an as he has nearly 30,000 followers maybe some might sign!

Keep spreading the word!

No, it is not a tort, it is a criminal offence (or range of offences), for which currently the "servant" is prosecuted without causing any real deterrence to the relevant "master" (occupier of the land). As Mono said above, the concept of vicarious liability does exist in English law, but it is very hard to prove to judges' satisfaction. I am not sure this e-petition has its wording right, but the intention is clear enough.

Sorry. I was asking about the concept of "Vicarious Liability." I know that the offenses are criminal. I was wondering why vicarious liability was needed if the land owners could be prosecuted as conspirators or as accessories before or after the fact?

Bob

I know the OP doesn't want a debate and I fully understand the urgent need for extra protection for supposedly protected animals but this is a petition calling for the introduction of a legal concept that already exists in English Law.

When it reaches its 100,000, the relevant committee is going to simply say this is calling for something that we have already... next please...

Sorry to seem to be putting a downer on things.

Duly signed, but the annoying thing is that my husband can't register his vote as he has no email address.
It sounds as though they go by email addresses rather than individual signatures!
I'll distribute it to our Friends of Red Kites and ask our chairman if we can put a link on our website!!

You can set up more than 1 e-mail address with Virgin Media.

After hearing today about the disapearance of another Hen Harrier at a notorious estate in the Scottish Borders I will be signing this.:C

Can't argue with anyone's signing this, and don't want to discourage anyone either, but please note it applies only to England (Scotland already has the law the petitioners are asking for).

Scotland already has the law the petitioners are asking for

As I have siad twice already on this thread so does England! It is just that no test cases have been brought.

Can't argue with anyone's signing this, and don't want to discourage anyone either, but please note it applies only to England (Scotland already has the law the petitioners are asking for).

If the comment was aimed at my previous post then I might add I did know this. If not then apols.

even though scotland does have the legislation already you can still sign it if you are a scot, or even if you live anywhere in the EU for that matter

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back