• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Birds eat Wasps or Bees (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
hi there

This is a question from my OH

Do birds (any type in the UK) eat wasps or bees as part of their diet.

We are convinced that we are seeing birds eating wasps from the nest in our garden shed at the moment.

Kathy ;)
x

Hi Kathy,

Yes, is the short answer.

I've seen Red-backed shrikes and Bee-eaters eat them, and have seen a Kestrel catch a bee and let it go again!
Honey buzzards of course eat both bees and wasps - and I'm sure there are other species that will give them a go.
I suspect none of the above feature in your garden though! What is it that's feeding on them?

I suspect none of the above feature in your garden though!

Especially not in the garden shed ;)

Here is a Honey Buzzard pottering towards a garden shed, about to empty the wasp nest under the bench...

Attachments

• Honey Buzzard geo 2.jpg
    Honey Buzzard geo 2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 448
Last year's Lesser Grey Shrike in Northumberland knocked a hole in the local bee and wasp population during its short stay.

This one's a wasp.

Attachments

• Shrike 24 small copy.jpg
    Shrike 24 small copy.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 331
This thread has just reminded me ,that a chap in the village found a wasps/bees nest inside his Bluetit nesting box.He said the wasp nest was perfectly formed as such,but it had been eaten away in places.So his query was,did the birds feed from the insects? .He said he still has the box and nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back