• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

HiChris yes you can head for the Chinafleet golf club its well signposted from saltash 10 mins walk.When at the golf club walk around the foot path to the hides the furthest hide is the best,if you PM i will send you the combination of the lock to the hides.
Regards Chris Buckland.

Thanks very much Chris - I'll certainly be in touch.

Rame area

1 late wheatear on the point,1 Brambling on the bird table with Greenfinch at the cottages.Linnets and Goldfinch flocks on the stuble fields and a Peregrine huning over the same fields.

Attachments

• IMG_8961_1.JPG
    IMG_8961_1.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8974_1.JPG
    IMG_8974_1.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8937_1.JPG
    IMG_8937_1.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 75
Bake Lakes Trerulefoot

The main lake had lots of Coots and Moorhen as wel as 13 Tufted Duck and 43 Canada Geese,not much on the outher lakes as there were lot of anglers on them. Allso seen were Bullfiches,2 Chiffchaff,Fieldfare,Redwings,Blackbirds,Robins,Wrens,2 Kingfishers,and a flyover of Golden Plover plus a Water Rail herd.

Attachments

• IMG_8847_1.JPG
    IMG_8847_1.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8887_1.JPG
    IMG_8887_1.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 76
Spent nearly four hours in the hide at Walmsley Sanctuary Reserve today. Fairly quiet although the 2 Tundra Bean Geese were still present and showing well when they weren't asleep.
At just after 1pm suddenly a juvenile Arctic Skua flew across in front of the hide and landed on the water. The wind gradually blew it right across to the far right side where it remained for about 20 minutes just sitting on the water about a foot out from the bank. At 1.25 it took off and flew towards Chapel Amble and I didn't see it again. Roger

Yeah I was wondering that. Never seen a Pallas's before, but there quite a lot of warblers knocking around in the valley that day.

Kingsmill Lake Saltash and Sconer

Avocet,Black taield Godwit,3 Spotted Redshank,1 Greenshank,Redshank,Shellduck,Teal, Wigeon,Dunlin.

Sconer 5 Spoonbill,2 Slavonian Grebe.

Attachments

• IMG_8996_1.JPG
    IMG_8996_1.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9085_1.jpg
    IMG_9085_1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9039_1.JPG
    IMG_9039_1.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 80
A quality day spent with Poet for Sale and Conorbirda2 in west Cornwall. Ring Ouzel and Water Pipit in Kenidjack valley along with large thrush and pipit numbers, and a Firecrest at Nanquidno (spelling?) started the morning well.

Moving on to Lands End, a check of the scrub and cover towards the pool was fruitless, but back on the top of the headland Paul picked out a Richard's Pipit flying up from the car park. We followed it onto the moor, where we had another brief sighting but then it dropped down into the fields on private land past the moor, and was lost to view. A few Stonechats and a Whinchat in the area as well.

A half hour wait at the Buff-bellied Pipit's favourite field eventually yielded the bird, which showed superbly after initially being elusive. Views down to <20 foot, Paul's photos on the Cornwall birding website and on the RBA website.

Many thanks to Lisle and Paul for a great day.

Cheers
J

A quality day spent with Poet for Sale and Conorbirda2 in west Cornwall. Ring Ouzel and Water Pipit in Kenidjack valley along with large thrush and pipit numbers, and a Firecrest at Nanquidno (spelling?) started the morning well.

Moving on to Lands End, a check of the scrub and cover towards the pool was fruitless, but back on the top of the headland Paul picked out a Richard's Pipit flying up from the car park. We followed it onto the moor, where we had another brief sighting but then it dropped down into the fields on private land past the moor, and was lost to view. A few Stonechats and a Whinchat in the area as well.

A half hour wait at the Buff-bellied Pipit's favourite field eventually yielded the bird, which showed superbly after initially being elusive. Views down to <20 foot, Paul's photos on the Cornwall birding website and on the RBA website.

Many thanks to Lisle and Paul for a great day.

Cheers
J

Good to see you again wee man. Glad you enjoyed it. I will give you a shout next time i am up in Torquay and meet up again. Sorry i had to shoot off on Saturday. Did you get the GW Teal?

We could hear Chough calling whilst we were watching the Buff-bellied Pipit last week so Lands End is always worth a try. The bottom of the valley at Nanquidno is another good place. Roger

Between POrthgwarra and as far as Botallack further north than Lands End can produce Chough but stick to the coast path.

I saw two Chough recently at Nanjizal bay which is left from Lands End about 15 mins along the coastal path.
Can be difficult to spot with all the other black birds that are always on the cliffs but the noise gives them away.

Attachments

• chough flight.jpg
    chough flight.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 87
I am coming to Cornwall in a couple of weeks time. Are Chough resident in Cornwall? Should I see them at The Lizard or Sennen Cove ?

They are still present at the Lizard but Nanquidno area is good at the moment as is Porthcurno or Lands End?! Just got to keep your earsd open and chech the jackdaw flocks.

Can anyone reccomend a good area for seawatching in the Plymouth area.I am down for the weekend of 24/25 Nov and would like to catch up with some Sea duck and divers. cheers.

The best spot to head for is Seaton in Whitsands Bay this a good spot for Divers,or try Rame head or Penllee Point.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back