• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (4 Viewers)

Well done Steve. Cracking bird. Seems that two flew north over Mousehole on saturday evening. Record shot by Mark Halliday on Cornwall Birding.

Thanks Paul :t:

Fancy me finding a bird :eek!:

The joke was that just before seeing it I was talking to a chap walking his dog who said he thought he'd seen a Swift. I said "Nah, bit early for Swifts, mate" :-O

Thanks Paul :t:

Fancy me finding a bird :eek!:

The joke was that just before seeing it I was talking to a chap walking his dog who said he thought he'd seen a Swift. I said "Nah, bit early for Swifts, mate" :-O

Nice one Steve, it was good to see you grinning from ear to ear and punching the air in triumph, nothing like finding your own bird eh?
When the euphoria has died down, perhaps you would like to send a brief description to Darrell the County Recorder (address on the CBWPS website). Although it is now, not a BBRC "rare" it needs to be officially adjudicated at a county level, even though it was seen by many more this afternoon. I even got it on my garden list!
Dave

Nice one Dave. You seem to have the same criteria for your garden list as I do. Was it using your air-space?

I've managed a few nice ticks since I moved to Tehidy Park and decided to include the communal grounds in my garden list :eek!:

Hi all,

Not a sighting report I am afraid but a request. I am popping down from the Midlands to St Austell for a few days next month and hope to squeeze in one days birding in the area. However, as I have never birded in that area before I do not know where to start. Ideally, my target species would be Chough and Cirl Bunting with a few sea birds thrown in. So, any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks a lot.

Hi all,

Not a sighting report I am afraid but a request. I am popping down from the Midlands to St Austell for a few days next month and hope to squeeze in one days birding in the area. However, as I have never birded in that area before I do not know where to start. Ideally, my target species would be Chough and Cirl Bunting with a few sea birds thrown in. So, any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks a lot.
Im not sure on Cirl Bunting but The lizard and some of the West Cornwall Valleys (Nanquidno, Cot Valley) are good for Choughs. Im sure someone else on here will know more

Again someone else may know more, but Cirl Buntings would be in the opposite direction (east Cornwall - Plymouth way), and so you might not want to do both in the same day as you'd spend half the day driving ...

If you get a Cornish site for Cirl Buntings you might be better to try and do that (or the Devon south coast ones - more reliable??) on the journey into or out of Cornwall...

The RSPB released Cirl Buntings on the Roseland Penninsular a few years back but I believe the site is still secret.
I looked for Chough last week both on The Lizard and Nanquidno but failed to see any at either site. If you walk from Kynance Cove to the Lizard or Nanquidno to Cape Cornwall along the coast paths you should see them though. Just depends on how badly you want to see them. Roger

The easiest place to see Choughs is Southerly Point, at the tip of the Lizard peninsula (SW701115). There is an RSPB watchpoint there (and a good cafe where you can sit and watch the birds). Next month the female will be on eggs and the male will be coming in every half hour or so.

The easiest place to see Choughs is Southerly Point, at the tip of the Lizard peninsula (SW701115). There is an RSPB watchpoint there (and a good cafe where you can sit and watch the birds). Next month the female will be on eggs and the male will be coming in every half hour or so.

A Cafe is always a good point, as I need to bribe my wife with Tea and Cake :eat: sometimes in order to do a bit of birding.

I will be passing nearby Plymouth on my way - Are the any sites worthy of mention for Cirl Bunting, or have they been hard hit this winter?

I will be passing nearby Plymouth on my way - Are the any sites worthy of mention for Cirl Bunting, or have they been hard hit this winter?

I was at Boadsands car park last week and there were at least four in the bushes around the second car park.

Park up in the main car park and to the left you will see a car park that is currently closed. Have a look in the far bushes.

A visit to Maer Lake this morning produced a female Pintail, a female Wigeon, a first winter Mediterranean Gull, 31 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 5 Teal, a single Peregrine, a Sparrowhawk, 2 Raven, 7 sand Martin and 3 Swallows.

At Lower Tamar Lake there was 7 Goosander, 3 Great Crested Grebe, a singing Willow Warbler, 5 Chiffchaff, a Kingfisher and single Marsh and Willow Tit.

Wednesday afternoon (31st), after seeing a few Kittiwakes and Razorbills in Sennen Cove (and 2 Choughs over) we went up to Brew Pool, and after a short wait, a Harrier flew through, came fairly close and showed it's underside - which looked a little gingery-orange around the breast and axilliaries, couldn't make out any collar. On getting home and looking it up in Collins, we decided it was only a Hen Harrier. So, nice try, but no cigar.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back