• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski TLS APO 23 DSLR Adapter (1 Viewer)

Neil

Swarovski have announced the new TLS APO 23 DSLR Adapter for Micro Four Thirds cameras today
http://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunti...specially_designed_for_system_cameras_hunting
I've been testing it out over the last two weeks with my Panasonic GX8 and GH4.
As I shoot a lot of video these days I'm getting used to manual focusing so the APO TLS 23 suits me more than using a lens on the camera. Also it's a more robust connection for following action. Easy to take off and on for viewing.
I've put a short video up here from the GX8 shot in 4k. View at 1440p resolution or higher for best results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMYvuNRItrU&feature=youtu.be
These are some photos taken at the bush pond over the last couple of days.
Neil.
Panasonic GX8 and Swarovski STX85 scope and TLS APO 23 DSLR Adapter
Lamma Island,
Hong Kong.
4th March 2016

Attachments

• gb thrush M imm pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1070186.jpg
    gb thrush M imm pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1070186.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 575
  • lt shrike pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1060798.jpg
    lt shrike pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1060798.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 589
  • magpie robin F pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1060668.jpg
    magpie robin F pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1060668.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 538
  • olive backed pipit pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1050999.jpg
    olive backed pipit pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1050999.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 540
  • rw bulbul pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1070081.jpg
    rw bulbul pond lamma GX8 stx85 TLS APO23_1070081.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 515
Thanks for comments Guys. This is not a quantum leap for digiscopers as maybe the STX series was, but for Micro Four Third users it means that we have a much more useful range to shoot with - from 1150 mm - 2760 mm on the STX 85 scope. When shooting 4k video there is a further 1.3x crop as well.
In pixel peeping I'm not seeing any CA or other distortions, especially around water, which was apparent with the GH4 and 20/1.7.
Neil
Hong Kong.
5th March 2016

what is the effective f-stop with the new adapter? should be a bit better compared to the previous I guess, in exif it seems that you have 1/125 sec and still pretty high ISO in many photos. but I guess the limit is still the scope aperture.

and another question, is it usable as a normal camera lens?

Last edited:
Yes, I am also interested in the precise focal length and f-stop data on this adapter. A long time ago Clay Taylor (Swaro rep) provided the attached spreadsheet for the original TLS APO. I'm interested in the updated figures for micro-4/3 format using the new TLS APO 23.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• ATX Photo Values.xlsx
    13 KB · Views: 216
If anyone wants to have a close look at the detail from a raw original at full sized jpeg with the GX8, I have put one up here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/25399729402/in/dateposted-public/

Neil.

Neil,

I followed your suggestion and looked at the flickr image full-sized. I notice a great deal of noise in the image. Since I don't use anything but an Iphone for my digiscoping I have not idea if this is typical with a "regular camera". Is it my computer monitor not capable of viewing the resolution of the photo maybe?

Attachments

• 25605373971_022317f55c_z.jpg
    25605373971_022317f55c_z.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 381
Frank,
I'm sure Neil will reply, but I had the same reaction to the full sized image: a lot of noise. Then I looked and I can see it was at ISO 2000. Plus the image probably has zero Noise Reduction applied. I think many of us are accustomed and perhaps not aware of noise reduction that gets automatically applied to RAW images. i.e., some might be shocked to see the true noise level in images before noise reduction algorithms are applied (same goes for your iPhone images for sure). However micro-4/3 sensors with 20 megapixels can be expected to have more noise. Even with the slightly larger pixels on my 16MP Olympus E-M1, I always try to stay at ISO 800 or lower if I can, even if it means the shutter speed is slower than I would like. Keeping the ISO as low as I can helps both noise and dynamic range. These mirrorless cameras have electronic shutter and with a good tripod, remote release and a stationary subject, you can get sharp images at slower shutter speeds. Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Last edited:
Neil,

I followed your suggestion and looked at the flickr image full-sized. I notice a great deal of noise in the image. Since I don't use anything but an Iphone for my digiscoping I have not idea if this is typical with a "regular camera". Is it my computer monitor not capable of viewing the resolution of the photo maybe?

The noise is a fact of life unfortunately with the iso we have to use out here in the early Spring and digiscoping in the woodlands - foggy and drizzly is the order of the day. At iso 2,000 Micro Four Thirds cameras are really struggling with noise. I really don't like to go over iso 800. I think from memory that image was an unadjusted Raw straight from the camera. I have image adjustments turned down or OFF in the camera as I like to do all in post. Noiseware does a reasonable job of cleaning up noise.
Last week I was shooting thrushes for stills with my Nikon at iso 12,800 and video at 25,600. You should see the noise in those.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

You seem to be getting wonderful bokeh with this adapter on the GX8, and the video at 1440 setting showed fine feather detail, especially around the eye. What is it like to use with the GH4 for photos and video - does the absence of image stabilisation in the GH4 matter when used on a tripod?

I ask this as I have a GH4 and a Swarovski ATX95. I have been contemplating buying the Digiadapter and 20mm lens, but this new adapter might be a better option.

Mark

Hi Neil,

You seem to be getting wonderful bokeh with this adapter on the GX8, and the video at 1440 setting showed fine feather detail, especially around the eye. What is it like to use with the GH4 for photos and video - does the absence of image stabilisation in the GH4 matter when used on a tripod?

I ask this as I have a GH4 and a Swarovski ATX95. I have been contemplating buying the Digiadapter and 20mm lens, but this new adapter might be a better option.

Mark

Mark,
Both options are good. It is nice sometimes to have the option of Auto Focus with the 20/1.7 or Sigma 30/2.8, but as I shoot mostly video these days it's not so important to me. It is easier to take the TLS APO off for viewing.
50/50 decision. Maybe price could be the decider.
Neil.

what T2-adapter you are using between tls apo and MFT-camera, who has been manufactured them

Last edited:
what T2-adapter you are using between tls apo and MFT-camera, who has been manufactured them

Sorry to be slow answering your question. I'm using the Kipon T-m4/3 for the TLS APO23 and a Kenko for the TLS APO 30. I've had problems with the screws popping out of the Kenko.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back