• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (2 Viewers)

Totally failed to connect with any Hawfinches in the UK so it was brilliant to pick up two flying south over the Carabasi Dunes this morning on my 6th day here in the area. Also saw a Bluethroat again at Clot de Galvany this morning. One briefly on the eastern end of the track just behind the overgrown central hide area. Also saw one in front of the western hide on 8th Nov. Neither was on view long enough to photograph. A single Redwing here on 7th, good views of a Purple Heron on same day and a mass arrival of Common Starlings on 10th. There are a few White-headed Ducks on the large central pool every day. Staying for nearly 2 months so hopefully more stuff to come.

Heard a Wryneck on the Clot de Galvany this afternoon. One burst of song just west of the western hide. Couldn't locate the bird but a Dartford Warbler in the same area. Impressive numbers of Starlings seen distantly swirling somewhere over Alicante.

Another few additions for me at El Clot de Galvany this morning. Black-winged Stilt and Red-crested Pochard were not unexpected but a Subalpine Warbler sp. was a bit of a surprise. Bore some resemblance to the bird photographed here. First picked up on sub-song then gave brief views showing some limited brown on the tertials, pale pinkish throat with white sides before the greyish head, pale pinky-buff wash to the flanks, no noticeable colour around the eye. Not much else to go on really unfortunately but would welcome any thoughts on such a record. Cheers.
http://i0.wp.com/birdingfrontiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Subalpines-in-book-1-of-1.jpg

A single Fieldfare over seaward end of El Clot calling this morning. A few more Siskins about and a Jack Snipe flushed from directly in front of the main hide. Landed very close by just to the right so is still there.

Managed to get a short visit to the Clot reserve on the 16th November - chasing the White headed Duck down. I got one.

Other highlights were a Little Owl that flew over my head and into the bushes (it was 11am!), a Water Rail that crossed the pond in front of me, a Southern grey Shrike by the 'obsolete' hide in the middle, Gallinule, Red Crested Pochard, Teal, a common (would liked to have seen the red rumped) swallow. Lots of Sardinian Warbler and I thought I caught a glimpse of a Dartford Warbler around the corner before the first raised viewing point but it dissappeared into the scrub.

I am massively behind in sorting out pictures and notes from here and El Hondo, Calpe - pressure of getting restaurant back up and running!!!

Subalpine Warbler is fairly regular though not common in the Clot. I have seen most in the Autumn, usually juveniles, but last spring I had adult birds present, particularly in the area around the 3rd hide (the "dry hide"), here's the best shot taken on 28th March this year.

Attachments

• DSC_3097.jpg
    DSC_3097.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 46
Subalpine Warbler is fairly regular though not common in the Clot. I have seen most in the Autumn, usually juveniles, but last spring I had adult birds present, particularly in the area around the 3rd hide (the "dry hide"), here's the best shot taken on 28th March this year.

Cheers Mark. The only thing that bothered me really was seemed to me a rather late date.

El Clot de Galvarny

Fairly brief views of Bluethroat, Wryneck (and Cetti's Warbler) all showing at the western (dry?) hide. The views of Wryneck were stunning as you can see from this video still! ;)

Also 2 Black-necked Grebes at the first (main) hide. Not seen them here in nearly 4 weeks of watching most days.

Attachments

• wryneck_30nov17_still_6868.jpg
    wryneck_30nov17_still_6868.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 40
Some vegetation has been cut around the main hide at El Clot and a Bluethroat was showing well there to the right today. Also the 2 Black-necked Grebes and at least one White-headed Duck still on the water.

https://youtu.be/34robhs1zVU

A Stone Curlew flew over towards the Central Charca where a Whiskered Tern and a House Martin showed.

rosbifs: I've now seen Dartford Warbler in at least 4 areas on the reserve and outside on the rough scrub on the southern side west of the housing in the past 4 weeks.

If they start to cut down the overgrown scrape area while you are there Brian, it will definitely be worth watching, last year it became a magnet for all sorts of interesting birds when it was cleared! It should be due its "annual haircut" any time now, it's just a pity they don't manage it very well, although I am sure that breeding birds did very well this year. Just keeping a clear space in front of the hide would make all the difference.

Thanks Mark. I keep checking every day. The reserve goes on giving though (despite hoards doing some sort of treasure hunt there today). The first Golden Plover of my stay flew over today calling but stayed fairly high. 2 Barn Swallows (seen very few in the past four weeks) and a House Martin were also good as Crag Martin numbers way down following the recent cold weather. Wryneck calling again by the 'dry' hide but not showing. Black-necked Grebes still there. White-headed Ducks on both lagoons and Red-crested Pochard numbers building on the central lagoon. Saw my first Fox here today too.

If you're after Golden Plover in winter, the best place to look for them is to go north of Gran Alacant on the N332, pass through the tunnel at El Altet and straight on past the airport junction, the low lying land on your right between the main road and the tower blocks of Urbanova is called the "Humedal Urbanova". I think I've read somewhere that it's going to become another nature reserve - not a lot has been done so far but there is a track crossing it from the N332 towards the towers and flocks of plovers gather here at this time, particularly in colder weather.

It can be a bit of a dodgy turn off to get onto the track from the N332 with fast traffic coming up behind you, you might do better to continue towards Alicante and take a sharp right turn at the traffic lights, heading back towards the towers where you can access the track from that road.

I know the spot you mean there. Looks like old (perhaps very old) salinas. Seems to be some standing water but I've only really seen it from the bus to Alicante as I'm not using a car much while here. I'm happy working the local patch on foot and it threw up another new one for my stay today when 7 Cranes passed over heading south. Thought it was too late for much Crane movement so this was another welcome surprise.

Still Whiskered Tern and 3 House Martins today over the large lagoon and had 15 White-headed Ducks there (highest count so far). Bluethroat showed very briefly again at the main hide where 2 White-headed Ducks and at least 1 Black-necked Grebe remain. Plain Tiger butterfly was also a nice addition to my sightings here.

Middle hide is still fully hirsute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back