• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veagle's 2010 Year List (2 Viewers)

Drove out early today to Curlew and New Underwood Lakes. Got a great view of a Wilson's Snipe, a Great Horned Owl, and a couple of new year birds. Later in the day, Karen and I went for a bike ride on the Mickelson Trail, where we say a Red-naped Sapsucker, Black-billed Magpie, a Belted Kingfisher, and a good number of Common Yellowthroat.

June 20 - Curlew Lake, SD

280. Dickcissel
281. Bell's Vireo

June 20 - Mickelson Trail, Black Hills National Forest, SD

282. Red-naped Sapsucker

Last edited:
Yesterday, my wife, Karen, and I went to Boles and Roby Canyon, near Newcastle, WY to look for Virginia's Warbler, and whatever else we could find. No signs of the Warbler, and Roby Canyon was fairly quiet, but we did see Rock Wren, along with White-throated Swift, Violet-Green Swallow, and Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher. Then we drove the road up to the Lookout Tower on Elk Mt., where we saw numerous Lewis's and Red-Headed Woodpecker, along with a Prairie Falcon.

July 3 - Boles Canyon, SD

283. Rock Wren

Last edited:
I left home this morning at 4 am to be at a Butte County location where Baird's Sparrows have been seen, by dawn. After hiking about 150 yards into a large field, I was able to get great Scope views of a single Baird's Sparrow, singing. Also heard several others. This was a new state bird for me. Other highlights of my morning were several American Avocets, about a dozen Say's Phoebe, Vesper and Grasshopper Sparrows, and a pair of Great Horned Owls.

July 11 - Butte County, SD

284. Baird's Sparrow

Attachments

• IMG_0554_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0554_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0558_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0558_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    249 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The big news out here in South Dakota recently has been the discovery by Eric Ripma of an Orange-billed Nightingale Thrush in Spearfish Canyon, SD. I believe it is only the third sighting in the ABA area, and the only one outside of Texas. When all this became known, I was in Philadelphia for a wedding, 1600 miles away. But I got home yesterday, and rode up in the early evening with a friend to see if it was still there.

Shortly after arriving I spotted a thrush with an un-streaked breast, near the ground. I thought I saw a flash of orange, but the view was fleeting, and I thought it might just be wishful thinking. I was skeptical at first, because most people had seen it high up in the trees, and it was normally singing. But I later spoke with a gentleman from California, who had seen it in Mexico, and reported that it would sometimes feed or drink near at ground level, and would not normally sing when doing so. And we both heard it, and he subsequently got a good look at it.

So, although it was hardly a great sighting, I will record it. Note- I went back several days later, and got much better looks at the Thrush.

July 19, Iron Creek, Spearfish Canyon, SD

285. Orange-billed Nightingale Thrush
286. Canyon Wren

Last edited:
Well, after last week's excitement, this week was definately going to be anti-climactic. I went down to Deerfield Lake, in the Hills, to see if I could find some good birds, but it was just almost devoid of birds. Seeing a couple of Clark's Nutcrackers kept it from being a total loss. And did see some Dark-eyed Juncos. Oh, and a couple of Pine Siskins around the feeders today. They have not been around for a while.

July 25 - Deerfield Lake area, SD

287. Clark's Nutcraker

Last edited:
My wife and I are spending two weeks in Alaska. We got in late last night. Early this morning, I went for a short walk near our hotel in Anchorage, and got 2 lifers. My first Alaskan bird was the Black-billed Magpie. I love traveling!! Later in the morning, we went to Westchester Lagoon, and the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, and had some great looks out at the local mud flats, including a number of Sandhill Cranes, many Hudsonian Godwits, and some Surfbirds.

Lastly, we went for a short hike before dinner at Hillside Park on the east side of Anchorage. Things were very quiet, except for a few Ravens, and a couple of Gray Jays.

July 31 - Anchorage

288. Glaucous-winged Gull
289. Mew Gull
290. Common Raven

July 31 - Westchester Lagoon, Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, Anchorage, Alaska

291. Red-necked Grebe
292. Barrow's Goldeneye
293. Arctic Tern
294. Surfbird

Attachments

• IMG_1488 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1488 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1492 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1492 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1493 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1493 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
We drove from Anchorage to Seward. Our first stop was Potter's Marsh, just south of Anchorage, where the highlights included Solitary and Spotted Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and Trumpeter Swan. We found American Pipit north of Girdwood, along the mudflats. After leaving Turnagain Arm behind, I took a short hike at Turnagain Pass, where I found Golden-crowned Sparrow, and Wilson's Warbler.

Once we got to Seward, we drove around a bit, before and after dinner, finding a swarm of maybe a thousand Black-legged Kittiwake, and my first Pigeon Guillemots. And last but not least, I finally found a Northwestern Crow.

I will add pictures once I return home mid-August.

August 1 - Anchorage to Seward, Alaska

295. American Pipit
296. Golden-crowned Sparrow
297. Wilson's Warbler
298. Black-legged Kittiwake
299. Northwestern Crow
300. Pigeon Guillemot

Attachments

• IMG_0576 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0576 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    194 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0596 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0596 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0759_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0759_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0577_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0577_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
We did a two-day trip out of Seward, Alaska. The first day entailed an hour boat trip to Fox Island in Resurrection Bay. We stayed overnight at a lodge on the island, and birded along the shore, and on a short inland hike. The following day, we boarded a boat taking an all-day tour through the Kenai Fjords National Park to the Northwest Glacier. Amazing experience. Got all my target birds, save one - the Red-faced Cormorant. The weather left something to be desired, as it rained most of the time on the cruise, but the birds were great.

August 2 - Resurrection Bay

301. Marbled Murrelet
302. Common Mure

August 2 - Fox Island

303. Steller's Jay
304. Horned Puffin
305. Boreal Chickadee

August 3 - Northwest Glacier Tour, Alaska

306. Tufted Puffin
307. Pelagic Cormorant
308. Thick-billed Murre
309. Black Oystercatcher
310. Kittlitz's Murrelet
311. Rhinoceros Auklet
312. Parakeet Auklet
313. Ancient Murrelet
314. Sooty Shearwater
315. Northern Fulmar

Attachments

• IMG_0634_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0634_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0657 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0657 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0672_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0672_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0712_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0712_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
On this day, we drove from Seward, Alaska to Homer, Alaska, birding along the way. Our first significant stop was outside of Kenai, AK, where we followed directions from someone who had posted on eBird to a location where there were a pair of Parasitic Jaegers. Had no trouble finding them, and they really entertained us with their flight. Other highlights were Bald Eagle, Savannah Sparrow, and Glaucous-winged Gulls. Next we stopped at Anchor Point beach, were there were amazing numbers of gulls and terns (Arctic and a few Aleutian), and some very interesting shorebirds. Large numbers of Greater Yellowlegs, and a good number of Whimbrels. Even saw a few Sooty Shearwater, and some Horned Puffins flying rapidly low over the waves. But the top bird was a group of Black Turnstones, extremely dramatic coloring in flight.

Aug. 4 - Kenai, Alaska

316. Parasitic Jaeger

Aug. 4 - Anchor Point Beach, Alaska

317. Aleutian Tern
318. Black Turnstone

Last edited:
A very exciting day on our Alaska trip, with a flight to Katmai National Park, where we went on a bear-watching expedition. The day started early, as I drove first around the airport area, where I spotted a family of Spruce Grouse, then out to the Homer Spit, where there were many Arctic Terns, Glaucous-winged Gulls, Ravens, and then several rafts of White-winged Scotors, with a few Red-necked Grebes mixed in.

The trip to Katmai was just amazing. First we flew over the Barren Islands, circled a Glacier on the Kodiak Peninsula, and then landed on a beach. We followed our guide, and spent more then 3 and 1/2 hours watching Grizzly bears, some with cubs, at distances sometimes as close as 15 feet. Because these bears are protected, are not fed, or hunted, they treat humans indifferently. We were able to watch them grazing, then fishing in a stream. Birding was quite difficult, as the group of 10 were not at all interested in birds, but I did try to keep track, and saw several Whimbrel, Western Sandpipers, and Greater Yellowlegs, along with a number of Black Turnstones.

All in all, an unforgettable day.

Aug. 5 - Homer, Alaska

319. Spruce Grouse
320. White-winged Scotor

Aug. 5 - Katmai National Park, Alaska

321. Western Sandpiper

Attachments

• IMG_0889-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0889-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0895-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0895-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Our next day in Alaska was a day of transition, moving from the Kenai Penninsula, spending a day and a half in the Girdwood area, on our way to Denali. The plan was to make several stops for birding along the way. We first spent a nice hour hiking the Keen-Eye trail, near Soldatna, where we saw American Robin for the first time on the trip, Common Loon, Belted Kingfisher, Lincoln's Sparrow, and Boreal Chickadee.

It was starting to rain seriously at this point. We drove the Skilak Lake Road, hoping the weather might break slightly, giving us a chance to do a bit more hiking. No such luck, but the highlight of the day was a very good look at a pair of Pacific Loons on a small pond to the south of the road.

After getting back on the highway, we had an extremely close call, almost hitting a black bear that was crossing the road.

August 6 - Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, Alaska

322. Pacific Loon

Last edited:
The next couple of days in Alaska went by in a blur. A day in Girdwood, with nothing but Chickadees. A rainy visit to the Portage Valley, where we pick up American Dipper, and Wilson's Snipe, along with the ever-present Orange-crowned and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Oh, and a Northwestern Crow, a bit out of its usual coastal territory. As we made our way north of Anchorage toward Denali, I realized that I left my copy of Birding Alaska at our last hotel. Already two and half hours away, I decide to leave it behind, and get it the day before we are to leave Alaska. Now I'm on my own!

We stopped near Trapper Creek, and get a very birdy area, with highlights of Pine Siskin, Boreal Chickadee, Alder Flycatcher, Lincoln's Sparrow, and a family of Spruce Grouse. And the next day, we focused on mammels in Denali National Park, getting great views of Moose, Dall Sheep, Wolf, Coyote, and Grizzly Bear. Also saw numerous Golden Eagle, a Northern Harrier, and a mix of White-crowned, and Fox Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Orange-crowned, Wilson's and Yellow Warblers.

The following day, we drove the Denali Highway, a 125 mile gravel road across the heart of the Alaskan wilderness. I'm sure my pictures won't do it justice, but a fantastic day. At our first stop along the highway, in light rain, we see Trumpeter Swan, and two beautiful Bohemian Waxwings. Stopping for lunch at the Brushkana Campground, we get great looks at two Harlequin Ducks.

We stop soon after lunch to take a look at a Swan, and discover it is a Tundra, and in the ensuing half hour or so, we see the usual warblers, but also Cliff and Tree Swallows, and a beautiful Northern Waterthrush.

A few miles later we get great looks at an adolescent Common Loon, along with two adults, and a large group of Common Mergansers and Greater Scaup. Just before dinner (at one of only 3 or 4 places along the entire highway with services), we make a stop that turns out to be very productive. For miles we have been looking for Arctic Warbler, and we finally hear one, and then briefly, I see it. Also in the same area is a Hermit Thrush, and then, to our surprise, about 50 yards up the road, a family of Rock Ptarmigan quickly cross the road, and disappear.

The last twenty miles of the highway are paved, and the going is much quicker. We cap the day with a group of Northern Shrike, before getting to Paxson at about 9 pm. Sun doesn't set until about 10:40, and it never really seems to get dark. What a day!

August 10 - Denali Highway, Alaska

323. Bohemian Waxwing
324. Harlequin Duck
325. Tundra Swan
326. Northern Waterthrush
327. Arctic Warbler
328. Rock Ptarmigan
329. Greater Scaup

Attachments

• IMG_1101-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1101-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Our next day, we stayed in the Paxson area, mostly relaxing. We did find a nice area north of Paxson, where we once again heard and saw the Arctic Warbler. We did some re-exploring of the Denali Highway, and late in the day took a short walk to Mud Lake, where we saw Moose, Common Loons, Trumpeter Swans, and a Varied Thrush on the way to the lake.

Our last bird seen in Alaska, several days later, was a Bald Eagle at Potter's Marsh.

This trip was extraordinary in so many ways. First of all, not the right time of the year, ideally for birding. And we never made it to hotspots like Nome, Barrow, the Pribiloffs, etc. But I saw a total of 94 species, and had 25 lifers. Can't wait to go again!

Aug. 11 - Paxson, Alaska

330. Varied Thrush

Today was going to be very hot, so a friend and I got an early start to drive out to some sites in Eastern Pennington county where me might see some shorebirds. We did pretty well on that front, finding a nice location with Least, Semipalmated, Baird's and Pectoral Sandpipers, and Long-billed Dowitchers.

We also saw more songbirds and raptors than expected, the highlights included Bell's Vireo, Great-crested Flycatcher, Swainson's Hawk, Bobolink, Grasshopper Sparrow, and at least 4 different sightings of Blue Grosbeak.

But the top bird of the day was a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, seen near the Cheyenne River, a life bird for me.

Eastern Pennington County, SD

331. Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Last edited:
An interesting day today. I was at a business meeting two miles from Iron Creek, where the Orange-billed Nightingale Thrush has been seen the last few months. It had not been seen for at least 10 days, now, but being this close, I couldn't resist. No sign of it, just a few American Redstarts, a Belted Kingfisher, and a House Wren. On my way home, I stopped briefly along Nemo Rd. at a picnic area, and was able to find about half a dozen Nashville Warblers. Later at home, I got a quick glimpse of a Ruby-throated Hummingbird, fairly unusual here, in our garden.

September 1 - Lawrence County, SD

332. Nashville Warbler

Got a very early start yesterday, and drove 2.5 hours to Lacreek National Wildlife Refuge. In roughly five hours there, I saw no other humans, but lots of wildlife. Drove the auto route, and hiked some trails. Higlights included Eastern Meadowlark (western SD has mostly Western), three adolescent Snowy Egrets, Lincoln's Sparrow, Marsh Wren, thousands of Red-winged and Yellow-headed Blackbirds, American and Least Bitterns, and a Black-crowned Night-Heron.

On my way home, I stopped in Wall and saw a dozen Red-necked Phalaropes.

September 11 - Lacreek NWR, SD

333. American Bittern
334. Black-crowned Night-Heron
335. Least Bittern

September 11 - Wall Sewage Ponds

336. Red-necked Phalarope

Attachments

• IMG_1184-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1184-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1185-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1185-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    257 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1189-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1189-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    273 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1194-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1194-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I am in Arizona for a conference in Phoenix. Spent the day birding at the Gilbert Riparian Preserve today, where the weather was pretty unusual. There were periods of heavy rain, even some hail, which is all highly unusual. Lots of hiking in hot, surprisingly muggy weather. Highlights included a Harris's Hawk, a Peregrine Falcon, loads of Short- and Long-billed Dowitchers, a Cinnamon Teal, some Black-necked Stilts, an Ash-throated Flycatcher, and three Rosy-faced Lovebirds. Not sure if this last one is countable; I am making inquiries, and will delete it if necessary.

October 5 - Gilbert Riparian Preserve, Arizona

337. Curve-billed Thrasher
338. Great-tailed Grackle
339. Abert's Towhee
340. Harris's Hawk
341. Black Phoebe
342. Verdin
343. Black-necked Stilt
Rosy-faced Lovebird
344. Anna's Hummingbird
345. Ash-throated Flycatcher
346. Lesser Goldfinch
347. Gila Woodpecker

Attachments

• BNST1.JPG
    BNST1.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 78
  • CBTH1010101.JPG
    CBTH1010101.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 70
  • GTGR1010101.JPG
    GTGR1010101.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Sometimes you just need to be in the right place at the right time. From the hotel grounds today, in Phoenix, I spied two Nighthawks, and didn't realize until later that Common were out of range, and that I had just seen Lesser Nighthawks for the first time.

October 6 - Phoenix, Arizona

348. Lesser Nighthawk

Last edited:
I'd been waiting for this day for quite a while. Arranged for a guide, Melody Kehl, who knows Southeastern Arizona, and the plan is to spend a long day, hitting a good number of hotspots.

First stop of south of Tuscon, where we look for and find Black-throated, and Roufous-winged Sparrows, along with Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, but whiff on Pyrrhuloxia. Then, at a large Saguro Cactus "condo", we find Cactus Wren, and Gilded Flicker.

We head toward Sonoita by going first east, then south on Rt. 83. But first make a detour, and explore some gravel road scrubby habitat. We stop when Melody hears Green-tailed Towhee, but not for the last time, we can't seem to find it. But we do find a mess of good birds, including Lazuli and Varied Buntings, Western and Cassin's Kingbirds, lots of Bewick Wrenss, a quartet of Vireo - Hutton's, Plumbeous, Cassin's, and Warbling, and a Juniper Titmouse. Also seen in this area are Grey Flycatcher, Ladderback Woodpecker, Western Scrub-Jay (Wodehouse sub-species), and Phainopepla.

October 8 - Pima County (South of Tucson)

349. Cactus Wren
350. Black-throated Sparrow
351. Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
352. Roufous-winged Sparrow
353. Gilded Flicker

Rosemont Junction, Arizona

354. Cassin's Kingbird
355. Bewick's Wren
356. Hutton's Vireo
357. Plumbeous Vireo
358. Cassin's Vireo
359. Juniper Titmouse
360. Bushtit
361. Gray Flycatcher
362. Ladderback Woodpecker
363. Western Scrub-Jay
364. Phainopepla
365. Varied Bunting

Last edited:
After a great hour and a half of birding in Rosemont Junction, we got back on the road, heading south on Rt. 83. We saw our first of many Chihuahuan Raven, as well as an Acorn Woodpecker.

We drove through Sonoita, and into Patagonia, where our first stop was the feeders at the Patton's yard. This couple set up multiple hummingbird feeders, and built a large covered seating area for people to use in their yard. Amazing. Both Pattons passed away last year, but the site is being maintained for now by local birders. Because of a Sharp-shinned Hawk sitting in a nearby tree, the yard is fairly quiet, but we see several Anna's Hummingbirds, a single Broad-billed Hummingbird, a Gila Woodpecker, a number of Lesser Goldfinches, and a White-winged Dove.

A drive along the Sonoita-Patagonia Preserve yields a great Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, but we dip on Gray Hawk. We do see quite a few Cassin's Kingbirds, another Acorn Woodpecker, Black Phoebe, and Western Tanager. Then on the way out of Patagonia, we stopped briefly at the Roadside Rest Area, where we saw a Common Ground-Dove.

Our nextr stop is Kino Springs, where we see the tri-fecta of Kingbirds, including the Tropical, as well as a brilliant Vermillion Flycatcher, Verdin, Northern Mockingbird, Lark Sparrow, and Red-naped Sapsucker.

Before heading north to Madera Canyon, we stopped in Rio Rico, where we saw a couple of Lazuli Buntings, and a Great Egret

October 8 - Santa Cruz County, Arizona

366. Chihuahuan Raven
367. Acorn Woodpecker
368. Broad-billed Hummingbird
369. White-winged Dove
370. Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet
371. Vermillion Flycatcher
372. Tropical Kingbird

Attachments

• IMG_1221-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1221-1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 66