• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elton Reservoir (1 Viewer)

Nightranger

Senior Moment
I think it is safe to do this now...

I was asked to put together a report on Elton Reservoir for British Waterways with a view to possible changes on site. There have been a number of attempts to do this over the years and my thanks to Peter Baron for providing some useful background. The report is now with the ecologist and area manager of BW and has been favourably received. If anyone would like a copy of the draft version then please PM me with an e-address. Sorry I cannot send out the fuller version but it stretches to 14mb and eats up my broadband allowance. No agreement on any changes have been approved at this stage but you may want to pick through the file if you are thinking about trying something where you live.

Ian

Sorry for not posting more, as other things have been occupying my time (wot, I have a life outside birding?) for a few months. Anyway, the really great news is that British Waterways are re-arranging to become a charitable organisation and in addition to the continuing commitment to restoring waterways, they have a stated goal to include wildlife and ecology. I do not work for the organisation so I am not privy to all that this entails but I believe plans are now afoot to resurface the path on the north side of the reservoir, including repair of the railway sleeper bridge (Elton regulars will know what I mean). Look out for more news around April.

The re-branding has now been put back to July but I believe an internal report is now underway and repairs to the path on the north side have now been approved.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back