• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hugh's Wild West (1 Viewer)

Mary

I missed the first last Saturday, so watched on iplayer. Next one Saturday 13th 18.00. Well worth catching the 1st episode, superb film of dippers et al.

Thanks Mary, I'd missed this, so downloaded Ep 1 and got the rest on record.

Dippers are my all-time fave!!!

An absolutely fantastic 1st eppy. Great combination of professionals, I can't rave enough about this program. Big Cats was good but I enjoyed Hugh's Wild West much better.

BBC puts together the best docs/nature shows, the states has NatGeo but for me it tends to be over produced or glamorous.....I'm not sure how to accurately describe my meaning.

Thanks for posting, bringing this to my attention. Do you have other similar BBC programs you recommend?

Worth watching (Episode 1) just for the chance to see the extraordinary Steph Tyler in action.

If you're not familiar with her here's a bit of background.

https://britishbirds.co.uk/article/personalities-11-dr-stephanie-tyler/

And something a bit more recent

View attachment 651028

Many thanks for those links, it was great to understand more about her that the programme didn't mention. Wish I could swing ladders around like that, and still climb them! What a lady!

Was is really necessary to introduce her as 'grandmother of...' if it had been an older man we wouldn't have had these sexist references. Aside from calling owl raptors and falling into the typical trap of referring to 'bugs and other invertebrates' they're all invertebrates! it was better than big cats, any of the 'watches' and countryfile.

A case can be made defining Hugh's Wild West as a enduring, loving program. The volunteers watching over the Little Terns is a lovely example, God's work if you will.

As for:
Was is really necessary to introduce her as 'grandmother of...'
I would venture to say Dr Tyler had a hand in this introduction, Grandmother is a milestone in life equal in recognition when achieved and often much more important when the time comes.

You see what you want to see.

Was is really necessary to introduce her as 'grandmother of...' if it had been an older man we wouldn't have had these sexist references. Aside from calling owl raptors and falling into the typical trap of referring to 'bugs and other invertebrates' they're all invertebrates! it was better than big cats, any of the 'watches' and countryfile.

Actually e.g. referring to Darwin as "Father of the Theory of Evolution", and suchlike is quite common: its nice to see a member of the other sex getting their deserved credit and I wonder what your deeper motivation for decrying it is.

Owls are nocturnal raptors just as hawks are diurnal raptors: and "bugs and other invertebrates" places bugs firmly within invertebrates.

All of which places the remainder of your post in context.

John

I really like this series. I only stumbled on it by accident and was changing channels when I saw the Dipper footage. The Long Tailed Tit piece in the last episode was also fascinating. The title suggests something rather naff and to be avoided - I'm glad I didn't. It's interesting to compare this series to the Cats programs. I find these to be beautifully photographed by what were undoubtedly highly skilled photographers but the voice over commentary dull and uninvolving. The Hugh's program probably has a fraction of the budget that Cats has but the presence of an enthusiastic, hands on presenter and some other enthusiastic and dedicated local experts makes it, for me, a far more interesting watch. You can throw as much money as you like at projects where phenomenal camerawork is carried out, but unless you get the presentation right, the end result can still for me, be rather tiresome and frustrating.

Last edited:
Full marks to Hugh for allowing those dedicated and largely unsung enthusiasts to take centre stage.

We should club together and buy the long tailed tit enthusiast a new pair of top end bins. Or at least a new neck strap!

LGM

I really like this series. I only stumbled on it by accident and was changing channels when I saw the Dipper footage. The Long Tailed Tit piece in the last episode was also fascinating. The title suggests something rather naff and to be avoided - I'm glad I didn't. It's interesting to compare this series to the Cats programs. I find these to be beautifully photographed by what were undoubtedly highly skilled photographers but the voice over commentary dull and uninvolving. The Hugh's program probably has a fraction of the budget that Cats has but the presence of an enthusiastic, hands on presenter and some other enthusiastic and dedicated local experts makes it, for me, a far more interesting watch. You can throw as much money as you like at projects where phenomenal camerawork is carried out, but unless you get the presentation right, the end result can still for me, be rather tiresome and frustrating.

Interesting. I generate my own interest based on species, behaviour and camerawork so the footage is really all I need: which is not to say I don't enjoy Hugh's efforts, but the programme isn't in the same universe as the cat programme, commentary or no commentary.

John

I am really enjoying this series. Hugh doesn't pretend to be any kind of an expert, just an enthusiastic novice who is keen to learn. Every episode has something which has interested me, especially the fascinating little Cuttlefish.

I noticed in the latest episode that they have Gary the sound recordist and at least one of the cameramen from Spring/Autumnwatch.

Ron

The episode about the Somerset Levels was superb on the Saturday evening just gone and it appears that, that area is the place in the UK to go to, to see Birds and other wildlife. Even better than Minsmere and it take me a lot to say that, having been to Minsmere before and I always thought that Minsmere was the best bird reserve in the UK. But the Somerset Levels sounds an even better area to visit and I’ve never been to the Somerset Levels before.
Ian.

The episode about the Somerset Levels was superb on the Saturday evening just gone and it appears that, that area is the place in the UK to go to, to see Birds and other wildlife. Even better than Minsmere and it take me a lot to say that, having been to Minsmere before and I always thought that Minsmere was the best bird reserve in the UK. But the Somerset Levels sounds an even better area to visit and I’ve never been to the Somerset Levels before.
Ian.

I've not been to Minsmere Ian but Ham Wall is in my top 3 reserves. Right up there with RSPB Dinas and Loch Garten.

Rich

I've not been to Minsmere Ian but Ham Wall is in my top 3 reserves. Right up there with RSPB Dinas and Loch Garten.

Rich
Until I saw the episode about the Somerset Levels I would have always said Minsmere was the best bird reserve in the UK as a lot of my birdwatching friends have said from my local RSPBl Group as well. It would take a lot to change my mind, but after watching that episode about the Somerset Levels, I’ve been forced to change my mind and I’ve never even visited that area in the UK.
Ian.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back