• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Yes some interesting flys apparently but told we can't divulge any details about it on a public forum - I guess until the work is published in the scientific literature.

My own 'survey' revealed swarms of Daphnia (prob Daphnia magna) last year in the first flash when I was taking salinity samples. These are relatively large 'Water Fleas' (crustaceans) and I'm gessing would be a good meal for an Avocet. The concentration of them last summer was impressive - about 10 individuals per 50ml (200 per litre) would be my estimate. I posted a photo of them on this forum at the time.

Thanks Dave.

For me I'm afraid flies are only interesting if they bring interesting birds.:-O

I think Daphnia is probably a good call for the Avocet menu (I didn't know they were tolerant to brackish waters so hadn't thought). Easy enough to monitor and, being "well-known" it's probably possible to encourage if necessary too so that's comforting.

Paul

Thanks Dave.

For me I'm afraid flies are only interesting if they bring interesting birds.:-O

I think Daphnia is probably a good call for the Avocet menu (I didn't know they were tolerant to brackish waters so hadn't thought). Easy enough to monitor and, being "well-known" it's probably possible to encourage if necessary too so that's comforting.

Paul

Yeah, apparently some species are halophilic - I didn't know myself until I did a bit of digging after seeing them. A few other potentially interesting things to consider:

If the concentration in the flashes averaged 200 individuals per litre then the first and second flash might've contained an estimated 3.5 billion individuals. With an average dry mass of 0.3mg per individual then the total dry biomass could've been 1.05 tonnes. With an estimated 20% average fat content, this could provide nearly 2 million kilocalories. In addition, they reproduce very quickly via parthenogenesis.

Enough to sustain a few Avocets I reckon. :t:

Last edited:
Work party

Met-office are predicting an 80% chance of heavy rain for Sunday, but hopefully it will stay away, plus its still not accurate when we are 4 days away.

Jim

Met-office are predicting an 80% chance of heavy rain for Sunday, but hopefully it will stay away, plus its still not accurate when we are 4 days away.

Jim

Hi Jim
Have been watching the met office site as well and another site which contradicts the other.
Either way we will have to do the work or at least try and complete it.
Priorities will be fox fence repair and attaching to the hide, screening around the hide, clearing islands and cutting the grass in front of the hide.
I am sure we will do it.:t:
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast this site has Ledbury and West Bromwich drier than the met office for Sunday

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Pochard (15)---------------Shoveler (6)
Tufted Duck (46)----------Shelduck (1)
Little Grebe (2)------------G C Grebe (4)
Cormorant (25)------------Snipe (3)
Mute Swan (2)-------------Oystercatcher (2)

FLASHES:
Teal (c50)------------------Gadwall (pr)
Oystercatcher (2)----------Curlew (15)
Lapwing (39)---------------Mute Swan (4)
Little Grebe-----------------L Redpoll (5)
B H Gull (c600)

RIVER SALWARPE:
Treecreeper-----------------Goldcrest
Skylark over----------------Sparrowhawk

SAILING POOL:
Kingfisher-------------------G C Grebe (5)

Des.

Hi Jim
Have been watching the met office site as well and another site which contradicts the other.
Either way we will have to do the work or at least try and complete it.
Priorities will be fox fence repair and attaching to the hide, screening around the hide, clearing islands and cutting the grass in front of the hide.
I am sure we will do it.:t:
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast this site has Ledbury and West Bromwich drier than the met office for Sunday

Hi John,

It's very true you can never accurately estimate the weather till the day before. I will be down providing the rain isn't heavy and terrential. Look forward to seeing as Many of you as possible.

Jim

cheers Jim
the met forecast has already changed within the last 6 hours.
It is not looking as bad poss showers and sunny
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wm/bromsgrove_forecast_weather.html
This morning it was forecast for heavy rain :t:john

Unbelievable isn't it, I Checked a few hours ago and like I said heavy rain it's now saying light rain and possible sun. Anyway looks more promising :t:

Haven't had a chance to visit the new hide as I was in the forest of Dean looking for Goshawk (with success) last weekend. Looking forward to it after reading the feedback ;)

Jim

Images from today. One showing Canadas displaying by head dipping together then mating in the second one. First time I've managed to catch this.

Rob

Attachments

• Web _ROB0718.jpg
    Web _ROB0718.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Web _ROB0760.jpg
    Web _ROB0760.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 106
February saw a total of 81 species recorded, with the overall year list moving on to 89. In comparison Belvide are on 105 and Middleton Lakes 101.

New species to look out for in March include Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Dunlin, Sand Martin, Wheatear, Swallow, Brambling, Goldeneye, Red Kite, Stonechat and possibly Willow Warbler.

Before we get too wrapped up in Spring migrants, can folks remember to also post any late sightings of Fieldfare and Redwing.

February saw a total of 81 species recorded, with the overall year list moving on to 89. In comparison Belvide are on 105 and Middleton Lakes 101.

New species to look out for in March include Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Dunlin, Sand Martin, Wheatear, Swallow, Brambling, Goldeneye, Red Kite, Stonechat and possibly Willow Warbler.

Before we get too wrapped up in Spring migrants, can folks remember to also post any late sightings of Fieldfare and Redwing.

Sand Martins already in Sussex.:t:

Yeah, apparently some species are halophilic - I didn't know myself until I did a bit of digging after seeing them. A few other potentially interesting things to consider:

If the concentration in the flashes averaged 200 individuals per litre then the first and second flash might've contained an estimated 3.5 billion individuals. With an average dry mass of 0.3mg per individual then the total dry biomass could've been 1.05 tonnes. With an estimated 20% average fat content, this could provide nearly 2 million kilocalories. In addition, they reproduce very quickly via parthenogenesis.

Enough to sustain a few Avocets I reckon. :t:

I'm sure you're right and I checked with the RSPB and the prey species is actually quite wide and will even include seeds and plant material. For all you other informaniacs out there here are the full details:

Prey species for Avocets include crustaceans such as Palaemonetes, Gammarus, Daphnia, Erichthonius, Neomysis, Corophium, Artemia, Branchonecta, Idotea, copepods, ostracods and cladocerans. Insect prey includes: adults, pupae and larvae of flies (Diptera) and beetles (Coleoptera). Flies include Ephydridae, Dolichopodidae, Chironomidae, Culicidae and Tilpulidae. Beetles include: Dytiscidae, Hydrophilidae, HalipIidae and Staphylinidae.

Other insects recorded include: water-bugs and nymphs of stoneflies. They will also east tubificid and polycheate worms as well as small fish such as Pomatoschistus microps, seeds and other available plant materials.

In breeding areas, Diptera and Coleoptera, polycheate worms and small crustaceans make up the bulk of prey species.​

My thanks to Mrs Thomas for taking the time to get me the info.

Given that it would appear the flashes should have plenty of food from that extensive menu, I'd guess that these early Avocets are en route to other locations.

(Which also means, obviously, that UW is of vital, national importance and should have loads of money invested into it :-O)

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back