• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

URGENT: Can Someone Identify Bird? (1 Viewer)

cydetu

I live in Northern Chicago, ILL - and today I found a baby bird right in front of our apartment. I did not want the bird to die by some other animal or die in the summer heat.

I did a little search to find out what bird it is, but found nothing.

Here are a couple of pictures - As you can see, the little guy is really scared. I gave it some water and some seeds. But it doesn't seem to be eating (rice) or drinking (water).

If anyone here knows anything about this bird please post some info - specie of bird, what it eats, maybe its environment.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
All Pics

I don't know what it is but looks like tinned catfood (honestly) might do the job. Possibly a crow?

Works for me, Jason.

I think TWM might be right about it being a baby crow of some sort but hopefully one of our US experts will be able to confirm...

Hi, Cydetu! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForoum!

I'm having the same problem Jason is with your picture links.

Regardless, would suggest you call a bird rehabber immediately to see if they'll take this young bird. Without know whether it's a fledge or a nestling (fledges will have most of their flight feathers), I can't really advise you whether to try to find the nest to replace the bird. If your bird isn't a seed-eating species, offering it seeds won't help. Would really urge you to find a rehabber and get it into their hands ASAP.

Good on ya for trying to help this little guy! Keep us posted on what happens, will you? :t:

Like I said, I can't see the pics, but if it is a crow then, yes, meat such as catfood should do, I would think. But if your catfood is anything like ours, don't give it large chunks that it could choke on. Mash it up well.

For those that cannot see the pics, here is one of them that I copied.

Attachments

• 09-06-05_1445.jpg
    09-06-05_1445.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 216
I hosted the picture on ImageShack

Click Here or Click Here.

EDIT: Thanks for the quick reply. At first, I thought it might be a crow, then googled for it and noticed that crows have black beaks not yellow.

Last edited:
Hi Cydetu. The yellow you can see is the "gape" which all baby birds have - it will be lost as the bird grows older and the bill will then be all black.

Cydetu, another reason I didn't mention as to why we recommend you call a rehabber is that it is illegal in the US to keep a wild bird without the proper permits to do so. So I do hope you've tried to find someone local who can take this little guy off your hands ASAP and get it the professional care it needs. :t:

Here's one hotline number to the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors' group you could call to find out where to take your bird, or whether they'll pick it up from you: (773) 988- 1867

Please keep us posted how you do, okay?

It's a Starling.

You could feed it small bit of dog or cat food (the meaty kind, not the dry stuff!), perhaps dipped in water so it's moist. You'd have to hand-feed it, putting the food right down into its mouth, about 10 times a day from dawn til dusk. After about 4 weeks it will be feeding itself and you can let it go.

It may just be better to kill it though. Starlings aren't veyr popular over there, from what I can gather. It may even be illegal to release it, as it's non-native?

it is very young. i failed to save an older one (was on a travel though). sorry, !!!!!!!! l.b. , but it won't be a major loss...
nonetheless, try to feed it and keep it warm! (that's why my bird died!) - it's said to be not that hard to raise a young starling.

Last edited:
It's fairly easy to put food into a beak, yes, but think about what happens afterwards. How do you hack it back into the wild. Just throw it out of a window? No, it takes much more than that. Rearing a young wild bird is a very big commitment. And even after all of that, it's going to have a hard time out there in the big world. If you can't put in the time and effort required, save it the suffering.

Bluetail said:
That does it - I'm taking up trainspotting!

Looks like a crow to me too! I have actually seen these guys as adults!!

cydetu - However I really wouldn't worry just get it to a rehabber!! They are the experts!!
They know exactly how to help and return to the wild, wild!!

As in the slogan JUST DO IT!!

And let us know what happens!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back