• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed Warbler defies the odds! (1 Viewer)

When I'm ringing in Southern Spain I often wonder if I'll come across a bird I might have ringed in Devon. Now I know it's possible, I'll try even harder!

Great stuff, well found!

When ringing in Cyprus I always looked very carefully at any ringed Lesser Whitethroats we trapped. Never caught a British ringed bird let alone one of mine!

I think something similar happened a few years back involving a Sedge Warbler from Icklesham being caught by the ringer in Senegal. Anybody else recall this?

The late Frank Clafton when he moved from being warden at Bardsey BO to become the warden at Portland BO caught a Willow Warbler there he had ringed at Bardsey.

Iain Livingstone who I temporarily trained with in Strathclyde regailed me with a smaller distance but no less amazing story as it was a double-whammy:

While ringing away from home in Kent at a bird observatory, a day's catching of a large number of hirundines on passage yielded a single control swallow: originally ringed by Iain in Strathclyde. Next day, a day's catch yielded a single control house martin. Again, originally ringed by Iain. My guess as to how this slim possibility might be helped along was that a) the bird observatory happened to serve as the main 'funnel' for passage hirundines, at least for that region of Scotland, and b) his timing of visit was impeccably synchronised with birds from his site passing through...

Astounding. As for me I have experienced a rook in the hand twice so far, both the same individual, on separate sites, more than a year apart, and on both occasions it was the only rook to be netted. perhaps a bit of a dozey individual? was great to see it as a juvenile then an adult!

I compare this case as the man who came in a huge barn and stuck the needle ...
What happened to John is not impossible and that makes us dream of many banders. The question is to be twice in the same place at the scheduled time and have a network operating.
Congratulations John.
Fernando Gavilan.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back