• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Odd green-winged

Any thoughts on this oddly coloured Green-winged orchid photographed near Bristol today? I thought I'd seen all the colour variants over the years....obviously not.
Email me RM...seems your email has changed
SM

Attachments

• DSC_4266.JPG
    DSC_4266.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC_4268.JPG
    DSC_4268.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 312
interesting colours and pattern on yours there Simon,
we've been seeing some different GWOs in Dorset and Sussex, many varied in pattern and colour beyond the normal purples, pink and white, even a very pale one.

Any thoughts on this oddly coloured Green-winged orchid photographed near Bristol today? I thought I'd seen all the colour variants over the years....obviously not.
SM

Attachments

• 20170419_100928_CA1_2735.jpg
    20170419_100928_CA1_2735.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 20170423_091638_CA1_3451.jpg
    20170423_091638_CA1_3451.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 20170411_080607_CA1_1222.jpg
    20170411_080607_CA1_1222.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 286
Hi folks

Can anyone suggest a good White Helleborine site in South Somerset or West Dorset. PM me please

Thanks in advance

Steve

Last edited:
SM

Never seen a colour form like that before....

I was examining a Bristol Green-winged colony a couple of weeks ago but didn't see this one!

SM

Know where that one is Si, there is an all dark version closeby. Weird or what.

What is also odd is that most of the plants in that large field are all pretty much the uniform purple form but that small clump has about 50% pale variants.

I've sent you a mail.

Rich

Attachments

• DSC06644_edited.jpg
    DSC06644_edited.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 286
Odd green-wings

Wow...a few really strange plants there jml especially the multi-coloured plants.
Rich yours could almost be hyperchrome surely?

The Burren

I am going to Ireland in late May and will pop to the Burren for Orchids, can anyone help with locations for the specialties.

Please PM

Many thanks

Mark

Never seen a colour form like that before....

I was examining a Bristol Green-winged colony a couple of weeks ago but didn't see this one!

Here's another three plants with a similar lip pattern, just not so heavily pigmented, close to Si's plant. There are about half a dozen of the dark version. I've seen GWO's with reduced and no lip patterning, don't recall ever seeing ones where the patterning is lumped together into one big blob.

Mike - I suspect that your Bristol colony isn't the one that Si and I are looking at!

Rich

Attachments

• DSC06668.JPG
    DSC06668.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC06704.JPG
    DSC06704.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 188
Green-winged variation

Here's another unusual GWO lip pattern, although I have seen this one a few times before, with the lip lacking any patterning even though pigment is present.

Rich M

Attachments

• DSC06783.JPG
    DSC06783.JPG
    743.8 KB · Views: 182
Frost yesterday morning (-1C) damaged quite a number of flowering GWOs & both D. praetermissa & P. bifolia in bud.

East Sussex specialities

I've visited two special sites near Lewes this week with mixed experiences. At Caburn Bottom, just one Burnt Orchid fully out - they're small here so three inches is a good size - in beautiful condition. Three others just half an inch high emerging from grass. It feels early for the other flora up there, so it may be that more will emerge but after a thorough search there, it feels like it could be another very thin year. In contrast at Castle Hill NNR earlier in the week, Early Spiders out in good numbers in beautiful afternoon sun. Again they are mainly up to two inches so patience and care are required. Two to three hundred out with many still in bud and those in flower still extending. Lovely to be able to get multiple flowers in the same photo - quite a few decent size spikes close together which doesn't always happen for me, at least in numbers I saw this week. Beautiful location and well worth a visit. I'd guess good for at least two more weeks. Early purples more abundant here than in recent years too. Will revisit Caburn in ten days and hope my pessimism is unfounded!

Gop Hill is a south facing hillside in North Wales at an elevation of 800ft in old money. Early Purple and Green-winged just coming into flower yesterday.
Jeff Hodgson

Two weeks on and the GWO here are a great display. While they can't compete with the unusual colourations shown in the posts above, they do show a nice spectrum of colours. It may be mmy imagination, but this year the GWOs seem to have spread of a much wider area both easterly and westerly.

Attachments

• Gop1.jpg
    Gop1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 146
  • gop2.jpg
    gop2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 149
  • gop3.jpg
    gop3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 151
  • gop4.jpg
    gop4.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 169
  • gop5.jpg
    gop5.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 163
very early, Early Marsh in W.Sussex

very early, Early Marsh (Dactylorhiza incarnata ssp. incarnata) in W.Sussex before the rains came (thank goodness, we needed it)

Cheers
Jim&Dawn

Attachments

• 20170430_084302_CA1_4823.jpg
    20170430_084302_CA1_4823.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 20170430_084425_CA1_4846.jpg
    20170430_084425_CA1_4846.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 20170430_084543_CA1_4866_stack.jpg
    20170430_084543_CA1_4866_stack.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Some photos now added

Early spider pictures and the joy and challenge of Caburn Burnt Orchids...
I've visited two special sites near Lewes this week with mixed experiences. At Caburn Bottom, just one Burnt Orchid fully out - they're small here so three inches is a good size - in beautiful condition. Three others just half an inch high emerging from grass. It feels early for the other flora up there, so it may be that more will emerge but after a thorough search there, it feels like it could be another very thin year. In contrast at Castle Hill NNR earlier in the week, Early Spiders out in good numbers in beautiful afternoon sun. Again they are mainly up to two inches so patience and care are required. Two to three hundred out with many still in bud and those in flower still extending. Lovely to be able to get multiple flowers in the same photo - quite a few decent size spikes close together which doesn't always happen for me, at least in numbers I saw this week. Beautiful location and well worth a visit. I'd guess good for at least two more weeks. Early purples more abundant here than in recent years too. Will revisit Caburn in ten days and hope my pessimism is unfounded!

Attachments

• es-1.jpg
    es-1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 177
  • es-3.jpg
    es-3.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 176
  • es-4.jpg
    es-4.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 147
  • es-2.jpg
    es-2.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 188
Does anyone have a good publically accessible Green Winged site in Surrey they wouldn't mind sharing, please? Currently I drive to Bucks or Kent, and that's quite a long trip for something I feel I should be able to see much closer to home... PM's would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Burnt in E.Sussex

After reading Alllewes post about the Burnt's, we decided to check the location this morning. We found near 50 plants in flower, quite a few more floretes, but the biggest concern about this site were the approx. 40 cows with calves grazing throughout the area.

Posted a few here https://flic.kr/p/TbF3NT

Thanks Allewes

Cheers
Jim&Dawn

"beefy" Early Purple

I would welcome any opinions on this EPO seen at Cors Bodeilio. Certainly more chunky than the usual rather spindly EPOs, and those leaves just don't seem to fit.

Attachments

• Cbod2017epo2.jpg
    Cbod2017epo2.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 215
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back