• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (21 Viewers)

Anyone who has not checked out this gull masterclass link - it's a hoot - have a look.
Brid is my gull hunting ground but I do not get there often enough in winter. If it helps with the masterclass I did a survey on food preference of harbour gulls. Of the argenteus I interviewed, 37.5% preferred haddock in batter, 43% were codheads but disgruntled at the lack of supply, a small group of gourmet gulls would only eat fish from Audrey's, 7.89% were happy to fly a bit further to nick fish from Busy Bees, but a rough looking lot from the south pier would eat anything that had ever been alive.
This brute below was last seen eating a tourist's spam fritter. I don't like the way he was looking at me.

Thanks Eric!!!

I think a few bags of 'fish-n-chips' will aid hugely in the success of this bargin gull masterclass! (Places still available!)

Andy

Lovely mixed flock of finches outside work this morning. 5 Greenfinch, 2 Goldfinch, 2 Siskin and around 20 Redpoll.

I don't have bins with me but will bring them tomorrow as a couple of the redpolls looked quite pale!

These went AWOL for a while but were back yesterday, only lessers though, couldn't make a mealy of them!

Plenty of Teal on Fewston this afternoon, along with a male Goldeneye which looked to be close to the path running along the edge of the resevoir. Only trouble was I was on the opposite bank with my camera!!

Planning a run out to Nosterfield tomorrow afternoon, as I've heard quite a bit about it but never been. Just wondering if it was worth a look & if there's anything decent about on the reserve?

A mixed and frustrating day.

Started out at North Cave very little about Teal,Redshank.Shelduck, Gulls etc
moved on to Top Hill, No show kingfisher but good barn owl display weaving in and out of the pine trees. Plenty of long tailed tits,great tits chaffinch etc.Goldfinch spotted by fellow birder ( i missed it!!!) birds on the pools on the wrong side as usual. Got a tip off of Drake smew and goosander on Welton waters distant views of both but could not get close due to the area now completely fenced off (Angling club) only things i could get close to attached.

Attachments

• gsw1a.jpg
    gsw1a.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 35
  • yh1a.jpg
    yh1a.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 47
The Google map I've created HERE shows the nature reserve car park, the Tarmac car park and the viewing screen, no car park but there's a couple places close by where you can park up.
The crane has been frequenting Lingham Water, there's a footpath from the Tarmac car park you can follow to view view Flask Lake and the other areas of water on thew quarry site.

A few birds at Bubwith Bridge this afternoon: Little Grebe on the river, plenty of waterfowl on the floods and a flock of 150+ Pink-footed Goose flying through. Full details/usual rubbish photos etc here!

A few birds at Bubwith Bridge this afternoon: Little Grebe on the river, plenty of waterfowl on the floods and a flock of 150+ Pink-footed Goose flying through. Full details/usual rubbish photos etc here!

Nice one Andy, seems to be lots of blackbirds and thrushes this year but not many redwings,Skylarks were very abundant monday this week 20+ and very vocal. (nightmare posting a comment on your blog!! maybe i am a robot?)

Had a very productive walk around Burley with the dog this morning - Bullfinch, Tree Sparrow, Robin, Blue, Coal & Great Tit, GSW & flushed a Sparrowhawk out of a front garden carrying off it's meal.

Keith, thanks for the map - think I know where I'm going now. Just hope I can get the car back from Kwik Fit before lunchtime.

Richard

Nice one Andy, seems to be lots of blackbirds and thrushes this year but not many redwings,Skylarks were very abundant monday this week 20+ and very vocal. (nightmare posting a comment on your blog!! maybe i am a robot?)

Thanks for trying Zing, sometimes the blogger thing seems to have a major hissy fit with the comments section. I've tried to add comments sometimes on other blogs with no joy too, but other times it works first go!!

Nice to see some water finally!

What a brilliant afternoon at Nosterfield!! Not only did I connect with the Common Crane (thanks Keith & others on site for directions) but we managed a 2nd lifer in the shape of an Iceland Gull (again thanks to others on site for putting us on to it).

With a supporting list of around 20 other species me & the kids had a brill couple of hours!!

Richard

Last edited:
GF talked me into a walk around Eccup reservoir, pleased she did. Pretty much same situation as reported by Kieth Dickinson & lioner. Arrived at Golden Acre around 11.30am. Walking in we saw around 9-10 Red Legged Partridge. On the fp to the west of the reservoir 200+ Lapwings in adjacent field. Couple of Golden Plover in with them. Fields west of Goodrick Lodge were thick with Greylag geese. GF tried to talk me into believing there were some White Fronted ones in the middle distance, but couldn't make them out.

Water and banks of reservoir just after the lodge very busy. 200 - 300 Widgeon, and smaller number of Teal. There were 3 cormorants plus a 'mystery' diver we couldn't id. Plodding on birds began to thin out. Good views of a pair of Gooseanders (but going to Pauls Pond means we're spoiled with them usually) then to round things off a very close view of a male Goldeneye, which chugged off diagonally away from us.

Weather closed in after that and put the scope away. Completing the circuit three hours later, the Partridge were more or less in the same spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back